CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 Safety Install - Some Clarification
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:41 pm 
Field Grade

There must be a million posts on this, but none really explaining some contradictions and horror stories. I replaced the factory plastic safety with a factory aluminum from brownells.

Found these do or die steps listed on other posts without explanation.

- Dont use the factory detent plate with the aluminum safety. Install without it. (I did not follow this tip, other posts didnt specify, bad move?)
- Zip tie the trigger. (with safety engaged or after dry firing? I didnt do this either, other posts didnt specify, bad move?)
- Remove trigger group . (I imagine this is to hold onto the block to prevent it from moving around freely once the safety is unscrewed. I didn't do this either, didnt have any issues so far, ami I in for a trouble?)

The new one works but is a bit stiffer than the plastic. Oil helped a bit but it's a noticeable difference. Anyone else have this experience?

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 Safety Install - Some Clarification
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've replaced the safety button on 3 500s with the Brownells steel button.

I used the all of the factory parts, including the detent plate.

I removed the trigger group. I didn't want to risk damaging it, and it was easier to find any small parts I dropped.

All of the replacements have worked normally.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:35 am 
Field Grade

NHrural wrote:

I removed the trigger group. I didn't want to risk damaging it, and it was easier to find any small parts I dropped.

What is potential to damage the trigger group? Is it if the block falls inside? If the screw snugs up, the safety works fine, and the gun cycles am I ok? Or could there be some fine tuning alignment issue going on I cant see that will cause me trouble down the line?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:30 pm 
Field Grade

After working it a few times the safety is smooth a stock. The parkerized finish shined up a bit under the safety so it found its home. Everything cycles fine. I'm hoping if taken to the range and all functions fine there is no unseen damage ocurring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:01 am 
Presentation Grade

You're OK in the way you replaced the safety button. I've replaced them the same way. If there was a problem, it would have shown it's self by now after use. But as always, never rely on just a gun's safety. Safe gun handling and shooting will prevent any accidents if your shotgun was to ever AD.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bajadas wrote:
NHrural wrote:

What is potential to damage the trigger group? Is it if the block falls inside? If the screw snugs up, the safety works fine, and the gun cycles am I ok? Or could there be some fine tuning alignment issue going on I cant see that will cause me trouble down the line?

I just thought I was better off getting the trigger group out of the way. It's harder to break parts that aren't there. :wink:

The same applies to stock replacements -- there have been reports here from folks who damaged the trigger group because the stock bolt protruded too far into the receiver. Removing the trigger group is so easy that it seems like a reasonable precaution.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree with removing the trigger group as a precaution. It takes 15 seconds to remove it and it is the only part of the gun I do not ever want to disassemble, so I am a little protective of it. Especially good idea when installing an aftermarket stock.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have not replaced mine but took the safety off my 500 20GA and reinstalled it.
Did so the same way you did. Took the gun apart.
As far as being stiff which seems to have worked out, I was thinking just let it be for a bit. Probably just needs to be worked a little to wear in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know if the 500 and 535 have interchangeable safeties. I lost the safety detent ball on the 535, but I can't seem to find the part anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm 
Field Grade

Littlegentleman wrote:
Does anyone know if the 500 and 535 have interchangeable safeties. I lost the safety detent ball on the 535, but I can't seem to find the part anywhere.

It's a standard 1/8" ball bearing. Check your local hardware stores.