CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maverick 88 muzzle brake
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I am trying to find a muzzle brake for my Maverick 88. I have a 24 " rifled barrel and a standard smooth bore. I want one for the rifled barrel and am having trouble finding anything that might fit. Not opposed to taking it to a gunsmith and having the barrel threaded on the end if I can find what I want. Any ideas where to look.

Post subject: Re: Maverick 88 muzzle brake
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Briley used to sell an extended screw-in choke with a built-in muzzle break to help prevent muzzle rise.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:55 am 
Utility Grade

Yea but that's the problem, the rifled barrel does not have threads in the end of the barrel. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Welcome to ShotgunWorld, kd5exp. You can learn about the King Armory KA-1212 muzzle brake which installs without threads outside the barrel here. Send them your rifled barrel for a professional installation, or buy the part and DIY. Order the King Armory KA-1212 here, after you have measured the outer diameter of your rifled barrel. The King Armory page on Facebook is here.

Now, let me ask, why do you think that a muzzle brake on a rifled barrel is sensible? A shotgun is not a rifle. A hunter might use a rifled barrel on his shotgun when hunting in those few states with restrictions on rifles, but if he does, he will shoot sabots and probably have a nice scope too. A hunter would have near perfect target acquisition on the first shot, and he would have no need for a muzzle brake to reduce muzzle rise, allowing a good secondary shot. Could you please explain your situation, sir?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:52 am 
Utility Grade

I shoot sabots in mine and they kick like a big mule. I was under the impression this would reduce it a bit. I don't hunt but might go pig hunting this year due to an old friend I ran into. I am in the process of putting a range here at my house and shooting a lot. Sense it's the only thing I can reload right now due to the unavailable reloading components, it will get shot a lot. I also like the looks of it. I do have a AIM red dot scope on it now but not happy with it.

Last edited by kd5exp on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks wfb18, that's what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
A Knoxx CompStock, $119.99, will reduce the recoil better than the KA-1212-- http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CompStock-Shotgun-Stock,1155,165.htm. If you do get a KA-1212, and you have King Armory install it, then be advised that Joey is behind and he will have your barrel for some time. Good luck, sir.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:46 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info wfb18, I will keep that in mind. I do have a recoil reduction stock on mine and it does help a lot. I wish I would have seen the one you showed first and I would have tried it. Will the muzzle brake help any or am I wasting my time and money.
Whats you idea on a red dot scope. I have put one on mine and am not real happy with it. Up close it's fine but about 100 yards it get fuzzy with my eyes. I think it needs just a little magnification to help at 100 yards and over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Running into all kinds of problems with this rifled barrel. The barrel is bigger so the heat shield won't fit. The barrel measures .924 at the end and that will take a different muzzle brake than the reg barrel. I am going to look for a magnified red dot and see what I can find.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:12 pm 
Field Grade

Not sure if you have any specific reason, but, why not just get the ported / rifled barrel from Mossberg?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire