CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm just getting into Sporting Clays and would like to know which Benelli would make for a good gun? I'm thinking about getting either an M1 or M2 Field. Any input would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Benelli for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:32 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are just starting in sporting clays, I recommend you hold off on that Benelli. Try a whole lot of guns first, paying attention to recoil and stock adjustments. The Benelli has a reputation of more recoil than a autoloader, but less than an O/U. Not too many Benelli's are seen on sporting clays courses although they have a good reputation for dependability and are easy to clean.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

SuperSport, definitely. With a light mod choke.

And by the way, semi-autos are really common on the SC course I shoot at. Cory Kruse, the national SC champion, shoots a semi-auto. I recently shot with a bunch of guys in a kind of pick-up group and I was the only one with an over-under.

So Benellis are fine for SC. My wife shoots a Benelli Montefeltro on the sporting clays course and hits targets that guys miss.

<p>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Super Sport that I've used for Skeet.The recoil is hardly noticeable. It performs wonderfully. What else can I say.I think the Benelli Super Sport is the finest semi that you can buy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:21 am 
I'm quite happy with the SuperSport, but length of pull is limited at the present time to 14 and 14 3/8's inches by changing pads. If one of those lengths works for you, you'll be quite happy with the gun. If on the other hand you need a 15" LOP, it wouldn't be the best choice.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:42 am 
Utility Grade

I was hoping to keep the price around $1000. Although the SuperSport sounds like a nice choice could the M1 or M2 Field be used ok...or is it unsuitable for clays? I'll probably be doing a small amount of hunting with the gun too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:56 am 
Gavin,

I would shoulder the M1 and the M2 to determine which gun seems to be easier to sight and feels better to you at the gunshop. Also consider the M2 since you are looking at the SBEII.

I would bring the gun to my shoulder while swinging the gun (like you were sighting a bird in flight) to a point on the wall or ceiling. FYI: Some shotguns you can adjust the stock drop and cast by changing the shims where the stock meets the receiver.

I think you will appreciate the ComforTech stock for the 2 3/4" shells for sporting clays.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 174#229174

Regarding barrel length (I figure this topic will come-up as you start considering which gun to purchase), it is strictly your preference.

Hopefully the link below to Remington website will answer your question.

http://www.remington.com/support/shotgu ... elect5.htm
Quote:
...today’s modern powders burn completely in just 10 to 14 inches of barrel. However, barrel length is still an important consideration, although for an entirely different reason. The barrel must match the quarry for best results. The best rule of thumb is to select the longest barrel available for the type of shooting done most often. Most misses are caused by stopping the barrel’s swing to and through the target as the shot is fired. Longer barrels assist in smooth swing follow-through, and also provide the increased sighting plane needed for longer shots.

In the end, I felt more confident with the 28" barrel.

Most of clay shooters prefer the longer barrels to get a smoother swing of the gun barrel. Again, it is strictly your preference.

Welcome to the sport!

Regards threeshot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Above posted by threeshot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The suggestion of trying every gun you can is a wise one, I've never seen anyone turned down when asked to shoot their gun.

What Albany meant to say was more recoil than a gas gun and is very true.

That's a good chunk of change to spend on something you aren't happy with, shoot everything you can.

To be specific about your question, the target will never know if it was hit by a field or target gun----and the target guns make a good showing in the field, just make an educated decision on fit and comfort when you do.

TT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:39 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Austin TX says that semi-autos are common on SC courses where he shoots, and I would agree with the same comment about Florida.

However, for every Benelli, I would guess there are about 20 Beretta 390/391's - and you can get one for under a grand which was your other goal.

Roger

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:47 pm 
If the SuperSports are as well received there mine was around here, the ratio will start to change. Especially when shooters realize there aren't a bunch of filthy carbon encrusted parts hiding under a very slim, graceful forearm. Maintenance is as easy as an over under.
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:55 am 
the rem 1100 classic trap is around $700 from walmart.com i saw recently, and very little recoil.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Do those of you with the new CRIO chokes notice any better patterning?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:57 am 
Utility Grade

People keep talking about recoil on the benelli last week my friends wife a small women who shoots a 20ga o/u shot my super sport 2 and stated it kicked less than her 20ga.when shooting skeet I notice no recoil at all and it points and shoots wonderfully

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:03 pm 
The Crios I have patterned produced good results, but I wouldn't say they were "better" than a good pattern from any other choke. Air resistance opens up patterns and that is independent of how cold the tube got. "Better" patterns mean different things to different shooters. My idea of "better" is even shot distribution, not a hotter core. Some folks seem to be more concerned with pattern percentage than anything else. I did review the videotape I had taken shooting the 391 and the SuperSport. I'll swear there is less gun movement during firing with the SuperSport. It is ported, the 391 isn't. The 391 weighs 8 ounces more.
Dave