CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:38 am 
Utility Grade

Well I'm ready to pull the trigger, so to speak.
I am looking at an entry level trap/skeet gun... I know, they don't exist

I do have a Remington 870 for a trap "fallback"....

So I guess I'm saying I'm looking more at a skeet gun

Pretty much have decided to go the CZ route ... Canvasback ... 28" barrel

In that price range, $650.00 (no higher at this point ) ...New.... Seems like a good buy

Comments ?????

Post subject: Re: CZ Canvasback
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Canvasback that I have been using for skeet for a couple years now. Has had over 4000 rounds through it and never once had a problem. The only trouble I have is getting all the misses out of it. LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:55 am 
Crown Grade

Here is the link to a long term reliability test of the CZ Canvasback. This Energizer Bunny of a CZ is well over 20,000 rounds of trouble free service and still going strong. In the Huglu forum there are also numerous examples of what is surely the best customer service in the industry in keeping the CZ customers happy. At that price range, I can't think of a better buy if the gun fits you well.

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=189338

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 am 
Crown Grade

Not much to break. Doesn't even have ejectors. If I did go very-low-end (make no mistake, an "entry level" target gun is a different thing and that's not a target gun at all), I'd keep it simple. It's easier to make a very simple gun that won't break down all the time, for $650, than a more complicated one.

Whatever you do, avoid the Mossberg imports. Crap. CZ is probably your best option as others have said.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:12 am 
Utility Grade

No reason I like is no ejectors ... I reload .... Getting tired of bending over to collect my spent hulls :)

It's in the mail .... So I guess the die has been cast ... I'll keep you all posted ....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

I like ejectors and I don't bend over. The hulls pop right into my hand, and only the spent ones.

But... Like I said, more complication at the same price point = less reliability.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Its nice to hear that this o/u is so reliable,most shooters i know go for the Baikal,very nice indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the C-Back with 25,000+ rounds through it, best investment I have made in a while, mine is the Deluxe (it has ejectors), while it is not a (Trap/Skeet) gun, I use it for the clay games, it is flat shooting, just heavy enough to soak up the recoil, and is an all around good gun.

cdb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats! Post some pics when you get it. Someday i will have myself a Huglu Wingshooter...
Someday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:01 pm 
Field Grade

If you live near a Cabelas check them out. I picked up a brand new one there for under $500 before taxes. If they don't have one there ask them to find you one at another store. That's what I did. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Hmmm.... Under $500 makes it attractive as a dog training gun. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

I could use a gun that doesn't make me cringe (as much) when I have to toss it in the dirt so I have both hands free. :)

I'm not someone who can do that happily with any gun. I treat an old H&R single shot almost the same as a nice double. Still, the more expensive it is, the more painful it is. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:13 pm 
Crown Grade

If you can pony up a little more you could look for a used savage milano... they run about 800 used and have a reputation as being far more than entry level. If not, cz is ok, i had one for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Field Grade

BarryD wrote:
Hmmm.... Under $500 makes it attractive as a dog training gun. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

I could use a gun that doesn't make me cringe (as much) when I have to toss it in the dirt so I have both hands free. :)

I'm not someone who can do that happily with any gun. I treat an old H&R single shot almost the same as a nice double. Still, the more expensive it is, the more painful it is. :)

As a matter of fact, I bought two. My youngest son had to have one and at that price it wasn't a deal killer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:18 am 
Utility Grade

Fast forward ....today...

Received my CZ Canvasback NIB on Saturday ... Wood stock and forearm nicer than I thought ... Has a chrome receiver (not black) and came with three extended chokes.
Cleaned it up a bit (did not take receiver from stock) and took it out to the range on Sunday.

Trap... (Remember just a noob here) ... Shot trap as well as or better than with my 870. Happy
Skeet.... My first time ever in a group ... Shot 14 .... But I do need skeet chokes (in the mail)

Put close to 200 rounds through it ... Worked flawlessly. Now to see how many 200 round days it will,put up with.

Anyway .... Real happy so far ... I'll keep you all posted

Thanks for all your help.

So