CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 GA.Winchester AA HS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:27 pm 
Field Grade

Hey guys they finally got 28 gauge at wally world and they were $6.37 for WW AA HS. I recently got some Estates from CTD and they were $5.97 but had shipping. So I didn't think wally world wasn't too bad. My 2 cents worth.

Post subject: Re: 28 GA.Winchester AA HS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ya, i asked the dept manager of sporting goods at the wally near me why no 28 ga?
She said, don't know, next thing i know they got 28ga AAHS sporting clays loads, and the same in .410

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

That's good new to me.

SH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:54 pm 
Ultramag,
I have bought 3 flats of them from the Wenatchee store in the last 3 months. I am on their will call list. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Even at that price, which is no great bargain, they're still a rip-off.

With less shot, less powder and less material in the wad and hull, new 28 gauge and .410 bore shells should cost LESS to produce than 12s and 20s -- and should AT LEAST sell for the same price.

And I invite anyone with experience in the commercial shotshell production business to tell me where my thinking's wrong on that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:47 am 
Crown Grade

Case,

It's called "volume". The more you make and sell, the cheaper they get. The 12 and 20 gauge shells far out sell the 28 gauge and .410.

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:24 am 
Case

You do bring up a good point about the savings involved with the reduced shot charge but the cost of the plastic pellets used for forming the wads and hulls is negligible when compared with the production costs. I would think the same would also apply to the powder used. However the savings in lead is more than off set for the reasons given below.

It is my understanding that Win (or any other commercial shotshell production facility) has only one production line and to change over from one ga. to another takes a considerable amount of set-up time (much more complicated than changing dies on a reloader).

I would think that loading factory 28 and .410 shells is more challenging than loading 20's and 12's because of the smaller sizes involved. This could also be a factor in the higher purchase price.

Another expense is the cost involved in the testing of the product at the beginning of a production run to ensure a consistent and safe load. The initial testing will be the same regardless of the quantity produced.

Also bear in mind that if the manufacturer produces too many shells on a production run then they could have a considerable amount of their money tied up in excess inventory.
Remember: Sales - Cost of Goods Sold = Profit. The easiest way to increase profit is to decrease inventory (inventory is a part of cost of goods sold; also includes inventory levels of the powder, hulls and wads).

This is my understanding of the reason for the higher costs for the 28 and .410 shells.

I no longer shoot my 16 ga. gun so I don't know if the cost of 16 ga. shells is more or the same as the 12 and 20 ga. shells.
If they cost more then it falls in line with the above; if the same then I could be wrong (won't be the first time) unless the profit margin is reduced for a reason only the manufacturer knows.

Hope this explanation helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:33 am 
Sorry folks, I forgot to include my "handle" for the preceding post. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Wally world in my area made a pricing mistake on AA28's. They sold me 2 flats at $27.50 a flat!
I tried to get more at that price, but they said they were out. Rats. It was good to be on that day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:36 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Lou, you, you, you!!!! You mean you actually BOUGHT those shells knowing full well they made a pricing error?? YOU!, YOU!, You even had the nards to ask for more??? What will my Wal-Mart stock do now???? YOU, YOU!?!? Lucky guy, You! :wink:

I guess I'll jump in here to speak with some authority on the subject at hand.

The reason the 28 ga and .410 shells cost so much more is because the people that actually shoot those gauges, and buy the shells are just idiots, maybe FOOLS would be a better description? Who in his right mind would shoot a 28 or .410?? I don't know one who is sane! Because of this, and the shell manufacturers know this full well, thay can ask for and get "wallet rape" prices for them! If you are stupid enough to shoot a 28 ga or a .410 and obviously need to buy shells for them you are obviously stupid enough to pay that much for the shells! This is a free trade economy, they charge whatever the traffic will bear! If you guys would just wise up and send me all your 28s and .410s you could just shoot a 12 and 20 ga and not be thought of as a fool any longer. Just think of the public service I'd be providing?? Then everybopdy would think I was the only fool, but they would be wrong, I'd have a corner on the market and be the ONLY guy still shooting 28s and .410s and I could negotiate a much better price for shells since I'D be the only market they have. It'd be a buyers market, not a sellers market like it is now! Thats why 28 ga and .410s are so expensive!! I know that for a fact!! :wink:

BP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Basic: You know you should be downright ashamed of yourself for taking advantage of Wallyworld like that. I think you should go back an redeem yourself an correct the error they made :shock: :lol: Dang why can't I find errors like that, they always overcharge me :evil:

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:12 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

No, BP, because of my personal regard for you I can't allow you to coner the 28 gauge and .410 bore hull market. Just think what the feds would say about such a monopoly! Why you would probably be in court for the next eternity! And for goodness sakes look at what a litigation target you would be for the Schumers, Clintons, and Keerys of the world! No! I can't allow you to make such a sacrifice all alone!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

BP I asked the guy behind the counter if that was the correct price? He looked in his book and politely said, Yep, everyday low price at Wally-World.
You would not have wanted them anyway, They are the sporting clays loads 1300 FPS 3/4oz of 8.5'. I could only manage to bust a 97 with them, plus the AA marking on the hulls are smuged.
However; they have worked quite well on quail and grouse. Speaking of grouse I'm getting a little hungery
I think I'll open that quart of pickled grouse hearts I have in the pantry. If the Mrs hasn't been in them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:13 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Lou;

Tempt me!

See if I have the will power to resist?

I suppose you already went and shot them all up??

I can't believe it! I had the bad luck of being in Nashville this past January, NO! Being in Nashville wasn't the bad part! It was being there with a return flight ticket, a wife with 4 suitcases and the Bass Pro store having a big sale on the exact same 28 ga shells you describe getting from the Walmartians. They were $4.?? a box! I don't recall the exact price, but it runs in my mind being right about $4.50 a box. Man If I'da just had the car, I'da filled it with those shells! Oh well! Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you! :cry:

BP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:24 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Goooolly! Stan:

I hadn't even thought about all those risks I'd be taking! :oops:

Sure nice of you to offer to share the consequences with me though! :wink:

My son just called and is in town for the rest of the week at his In-laws, and we are going to go Saturday afternoon and give my new SIG/Rizzini .410 a try at the Skeet range. I wonder how many other fools will be there with thier 28s and .410s?? Now I have the matched pair of the Rizzinis, one a 28 and one a .410! See, I told you I could speak with some authority about the folks shooting these little guns being nuts! Who in his right mind would want a matched pair of the danged things?? I could shoot my 12 or 20s for far less?? No I guess not, almost all my 28s and .410s are reloaded shells. Only got a couple flats of new 28s and about 3 boxes of .410s! Somethin's got to change!

BP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:48 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

You know how it is, BP. It's only good sportsmanship to help out a fellow shotgunner whenever one can. :) Besides, I'm down to my last thousand of Remington .410 bore hulls and just loaded up 500 of 'em to shoot up Saturday and Sunday. That is assuming I can tolerate that much humiliation in my life. :wink:

By the way, I've never shot a 100 straight with the .410. I shot a 99 once and two or three 98s over the years but never a 100 straight. Mostly, though, I'm in the low to mid-90s with the little bore. Still, every now and then, I'll drop down into the 80s with the pesky little thing.

Two weeks ago I thought I was on a roll with the .410. I went 75 straight, but then the wind came up. Last round was a 19! I guess I knew it wasn't going to be pretty when I missed high house 1 twice!

Last edited by OKShotgunner on Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:56 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Don'tcha just hate it when you blow your option on High 1?? :oops: :cry: :evil: About the only thing I can think of that is worse is doing it at low 7! :shock:

BP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:59 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Burnt Powder wrote:
Don'tcha just hate it when you blow your option on High 1?? :oops: :cry: :evil: About the only thing I can think of that is worse is doing it at low 7! :shock:

BP

Yeah, and I've done that, too! More than once!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:03 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Heck, lotsa days I'd be real glad to just GET to 7 still having my option in my pocket! You can blow it at seven and still shoot 23!

BP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Or missing your option on low 8 :oops:

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!