CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning 725 OEM chokes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:34 am 
Utility Grade

After several months of waiting, my 725 sporting, 32" barrels finally arrived.
I'll be picking it up in a few days.

Are the OEM chokes made by Briley? If yes, are they the same quality as the ones Briley sells under its' own label?

Also, has anyone used the Muller chokes in a 725? How do you like them?

thanks,

Neil

Post subject: Re: Browning 725 OEM chokes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:13 am 
Field Grade

I shoot a pair of Muller U2s in my 32" sporting 725. I bought the chokes at the same time I bought the gun so I really haven't compared them to the factory chokes. I will tell you that the Mullers are very light weight and feel much better on the end of the long barrels than the factory chokes, whether or not they actually pattern better is still to be determined. If you do your part you will break clays with either choice of chokes. I just like the light weight and easy cleaning of the Mullers. Enjoy your new gun. I love mine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 am 
Tournament Grade

neilr wrote:
Are the OEM chokes made by Briley? If yes, are they the same quality as the ones Briley sells under its' own label?

Don't think so. When I sent my 725 to Briley for a tube set with OEM skeet chokes, they put their own skeet chokes in when they built the tube set. Their chokes don't have the brass seal and are just a touch shorter than OEM. I ended up keeping their chokes in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I bought some Trulocks and a few Mullers to try in my 725, and I'm torn. They look and feel completely different, but both crush birds and stay extremely clean. I will say the Trulocks help me add 15 birds to my best SC score. Mullers will be used the next go around. Working on patterning in the next couple of weeks so I can report back.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I found an answer to part of my question. Randy Wakeman posted an article saying the Browning DS chokes were made in France and not by Briley.

I'm still interested in people's opinion on the Briley DS chokes.

thanks

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 pm 
Field Grade

neilr wrote:
After several months of waiting, my 725 sporting, 32" barrels finally arrived.
I'll be picking it up in a few days.

Also, has anyone used the Muller chokes in a 725? How do you like them?
thanks,
Neil

I have patterned factory flush, extended and Mullers U1-U4.
Factory chokes are too open for their markings. M for 725 pattern is similar to IC, for example. U2 and U3 Mullers are good, behave similar to IM and F. U4 performs like LF though is tighter then U3. I consider U4 to be the waist of money. It doesn't perform as it is meant. U1 is sold already. Perfomance similar to factory Cyl-IC.
Mullers may losen but also may get stuck in the barrel. They are lighted but pattern the same as above mentioned.
For SC I have returned to factory M and IM extended. LF and F are very good bor international trap. American trap is easily shot with IM-LF. or U2-U3 combination.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

neilr wrote:
I'm still interested in people's opinion on the Briley DS chokes.

thanks

Neil

Constriction still works: http://randywakeman.com/BrileyTakesonth ... System.htm .

My 26 in. A5 Hunter just came in, so the Trulocks will hit the patterning board with it. George Trulock spent a lot of time before releasing his DS tubes.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have to second Randy's comments. If you haven't considered Trulock chokes for your 725, I would highly recommend them. I love my Mullers as well, but the Trulocks perform flawlessly at half the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:18 pm 
Crown Grade

don't waste your hard earned cash on Muller chokes, snake oil IMO. Remember, you're buying holes, just holes. Shoot the factory supplied chokes. If they don't work, then look at alternatives. Trulock, Carlsons, Briley, not twice the price Mullers...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:15 pm 
Field Grade

I'm having a hard time finding pictures of people patterning the DS chokes. Hopefully I can pattern mine this weekend but it would be nice to see what other people are getting, too. I'm going for the best SC setup and currently I have IM in the top barrel and M in the bottom. Would 25yds and 40yds be the best distances to pattern for a general SC setup? Is the general rule to run the tighter choke on top closer to the sights? My only clay shooting experience is with a full choke 30" barrel A5 so everything dealing with patterning and chokes is pretty new to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Sorry Slugo, I have to disagree completely. First off, do you have aftermarket chokes for the 725? The factory chokes are such a failure in so many ways. Second, the Mullers are different in many ways to other after market chokes (constrictions, weights, style). There are such strong opinions on these boards about Mullers, however I find it hard to believe that most with negative feedback have actually ever owned a set. I love my Trulock DS chokes, and I highly recommend them for their performance and for the price. OP, if you shoot sporting clays or 5-stand, I would recommend looking at Mullers to avoid the hassles of choke changing, weight, and overall style. If you shoot all clay sports, I would take a serious look at the Trulocks. Ultimately you can't go wrong with either...it really comes down to preference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:50 am 
Crown Grade

lost-pair, disagree all you want, it's your right. But, please, spare me the Muller BS, the Amway of choke manufacturers. I don't change chokes unless I decide to shoot some trap. The Browning DS choke tubes work, and work well. Who cares they don't meet the same constriction standards of the past. You can easily find the best combo by just lighting off a few rounds at a 30 yard patterning board.

Sorry, I'm not a Jim Jones Kool-Aid fan...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:14 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely will start with the OEMs and pattern them.

I'm also looking at the others: Trulock, Briley, Carlsons. I haven't used Trulocks before but the Canadian distributor is located close to me so given all the compliments about Trulocks, I may give them a try also.

Neil