CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S&W 916 shotgun - accessory info wanted
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson "Eastfield" model 916 shotgun (NOT an "A", "T", or other version - it's the original 916). I'd like to see if I can get some info from folks who are more familiar with shotguns than I am as I'm more of a pistol & riflesmith, and this is the first shotgun I've bought.

First of all, the configuration: It's a 28" vent rib (stick-on factory w/ goldtone bead, aluminum), with wood furniture. Forearm is checkered underneath, and so is the buttstock on both sides in the grip area. Receiver on both sides has a hunting scene engraved on the steel. Finish is blued. I believe the barrel has a fixed choke, as there is no provision for screw-in chokes; also, the barrel has an "M" stamped on the right side, near the chamber. I believe this means that the barrel has a "modified" choke? Magazine capacity is 5+1, either 2 3/4" or 3" shells.

I like this shotgun, but it needs accessories for some of the things I want to do with it.

I'd like a shorter barrel - 20" or so should be fine. I'd like decent sights on it. I'd like to be able to add a magazine extension, and be able to put a sling on it. Just somewhat normal stuff...

I've visited Numrich's site, but I refuse to pay those prices for a new barrel or barreled receiver, magazine tube and spring, etc.. The cost of just a few parts for it to bring it to the configuration I want will be more than I paid for the shotgun in the first place, and even more than a new one would run me! As I bought this shotgun used because I have a perenially tight budget (I'm on Social Security now), buying overpriced parts isn't wise for me...

I think I've read somewhere that these shotguns are a variant or (somewhat of a) copy of Mossbergs. Is this true? Other than the screw-in barrel/receiver, of course...

I'm curious if certain accessories for other shotguns can be used/adapted for this one - anyone know? I'm specifically interested in: mag extensions, stocks, sling attachments (plates that go inbetween the stock and the receiver), sights, forearms, and the like. Basically anything and everything - I'll take it from there!

If I can get a mag extension for, say, a Mossberg to work, I'll then cut the barrel down to 20", remove (and save) the vent rib, and install decent sights on it myself. As a cylinder bore is fine for home defence, that's OK with me. Otherwise, it's getting sold/traded for a more popular/available shotgun, so I have something to work with. Now that it's cleaned up and repaired, hopefully I'll get what I paid out of it.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!!!

Post subject: Re: S&W 916 shotgun - accessory info wanted
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sell it, trade it, get rid of it. The 916 was a decendant of the old Noble line of shotguns. It was a solid frame design as you mentioned. They were offered with a higher magazine capacity, but you have to have the longer magazine tube which fits with a barrel set up for the longer magazine tube. They are not compatable with a magazine extention. They were a price point gun made to sell at Savage pump gun prices in days before the Remington Express. They had a single action bar arm. It sounds like you want to have a tactical shotgun so save your money and get rid of it for a Mossberg, Remington, Winchester or even a law enforcement model Ithica. They were sold by S&W when S&W thought they would be an everything company with light bars, holsters, the old Alcan/Fiocchi line of ammo etc. Anything you spend on it is money that could be spent for something better. There is some confusion about Mossbergs because a little later S&W sold the model 1000 and 3000 autos and pumps. These were made in Japan for S&W, S&W after a few years quit selling these models and Mossberg picked up the 1000 and 3000 line for a few years. The 916 is probably something to keep at the cabin, in the corner of the closet, but is not something to plan on shooting a lot...Having said that, I am sure someone out there has shot 1,000 rounds a week for 25 years in one and never had a problem, but that would be the exception.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info, and the opinion.

I'm aware of some of the history of the weapon. I've studied it a bit (the actual gun and did some on-line research; what there is of it, anyway), and figured out that it is VERY similar to a Mossberg in many, many ways. Only the fixed barrel, and the mag tube seem to be slightly different.

I suppose I could fabricate a few things for it myself, but I don't really want to go that route, if I can avoid it (I don't think I have the die/tap set for the threads on the barrel's mag tube anchor).

It's a shame, as it really is a very nice shotgun. True, it's not worth a lot of money, and I'll lose my butt on it trying to sell or trade it now (I got offered a whopping $25 for it on trade ONLY - told 'em to kiss my butt, too!). Just because it only has a single action bar doesn't mean it's unreliable, or fragile.

True, I will probably have to get rid of it and get something else. I'd prefer to keep it and modify it if possible (as it's not worth a lot, I feel better altering it from factory specs than I would a new shotgun). Looks like, unless someone can give me other options, that a trip to a pawn or gun shop is in order soon.

What will I get to replace it, though?? I totally dislike Remingtons, and Mossbergs have a horrible reputation for durability and reliability these days. Ithaca's are hard to find, and even harder to find parts for (but not as hard as this S&W, true!). I could get a Charles Daly, or an import - but who knows if parts are available or accessories will fit?? Why can't accessory makers make stuff for other shotguns besides just Mossbergs and Remingtons?? GRRRRR!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I have the 916T. I bought it about 18 months ago. My experience is that because they stopped making them over 20 years ago and they aren't as common there isn't any money in making replacement parts. I for one love mine. It fits well and it points great. I have had lots of fun busting clays with it. I looked into having choke tubes added and everyone I spoke to told me it would cost more then the gun is worth. Gander Mountain won't even accept them as trade ins, because they can't service them due to parts not being available. If you find a place that has a supply of replacement parts or barrels, I hope you will post the information here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, for spare parts, this is the info I just recently got from Smith & Wesson (less than a week ago):

Lone Star Guns
2452 Avenue K
Plano, TX 75074
(214) 424-4501

Apparently, this is the company that bought up all of S&W's parts, and also does repairs. I have not contacted them yet, nor have I Googled them for a website. They may or may not still have parts, or even be in business, for all I know.

Other places:

Numrich, of course, has quite a few parts. In fact, a recent Shotgun News ad of theirs listed a few offers for the 916's, including trigger parts, springs, and housings. I believe they also have barrels, stocks, etc. However, Numrich's website is notorious for not being updated (when you call they tell you they haven't had that part for quite a while), and also they're one of the most expensive places for parts anywhere. But, they're the King of gun parts, for the most part. Eventually, just about anyone who owns a gun will have to deal with them in one way or another.

I've also Googled a few sites that claim to have S&W shotgun parts (not accessories - still haven't found any). From my email requests, I've only gotten one response so far - and they told me they no longer have any parts. SOL, I guess...

As much as I like this shotgun, looks like I'm going to have to sell it. For my purposes, I just cannot own a firearm that has iffy parts & accessories availability. I just don't have the extra cash (hell, extra? What's that?) to own a useless firearm if something happens.

If anyone wants to make an offer on mine (an extra gun, for spare parts, whatever), PM me. It's a 916, with a factory ribbed (aluminum rib w/ front bead sight) 28" barrel w/ modified fixed choke. 5 round mag capacity. Wooden stock & forearm, checkered under the forearm and on left and right sides of grip on buttstock. Has hunting scene on both sides of receiver. Finish is at least VG+ (sorry, I don't know the NRA guidelines) with some bluing wear on the mag tube, forearm nut. Minor rust spots on barrel & receiver w/ no pitting (I took care of the rust, it was there when I bought it). Forearm has minor split on left side that I repaired w/ Acraglas & refinished the repair - matches buttstock 100%. Recoil pad still has "give" - not hard. Bore is in excellent condition, no rust whatsoever, but could use a slight polish if you like. If no offers by January 2005, I'll be either posting it for sale on one of the gun auction sites or trading it locally.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

i have a vent rib bbl mod chock for sale if anyone is interested.
Larry
'magman1@live.com