CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eye patch
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:14 am 
Field Grade

I've read alot about a eye patch to put on your lenses for shooting trap. Is this a special patch you have to buy or will a piece of tape work just as good? I don't want to leave the glue on my lens when I take the tape off. I also have a coating on my lenses for night driving.

Post subject: Re: Eye patch
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Close the off eye :wink:

A piece of of scotch tape works fine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From the time I was very young, a patch was always scorned. In basic training (USMC 1968) it was also scorned... but used by some. Today, I still shoot with both eyes open. Those that use patches obviously need them... but using a patch on your glasses has its own problems. Because you darken the lens of your glasses, you can easily become distracted by movement or color in your peripheral vision - where there is no patch or glasses either, for that matter. It's tough, but if you really don't need a patch and can close off your eye... it's a way better way to go, IMO. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:34 am 
Field Grade

Hello I am new to shooting too (sporting clays).
I was told that using a dot on your shooting glasses was for left eye dominance and shooting right handed, because a person usually sees 2 birds instead of the one.
I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed, I have never had the double vision like some say they do , and tried the dot on my left shooting lense. I didnt much care for this method after about 700 rounds and am pretty much ambidextres(sp?) Plus I am behind the birds on the right to left crossing birds and I cant hit them for the life of me .
so I went to shooting my citori 525 sporting left handed yesterday and hit 20/of 50. (and hit 4 of the right to left crossers that i never hit.)
I will switch as most teachers say I should go left handed, and I would most likely have more success with more shooting.

Please correct me if am am wrong, as I dont want to give out bad info.
If there are more reasons for the patch/dot shooting I would like to know myself.
SprayTech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:34 pm 
Crown Grade

SprayTech wrote:
I was told that using a dot on your shooting glasses was for left eye dominance and shooting right handed, because a person usually sees 2 birds instead of the one.

It's not that people see two birds. That would happen only if the person focused on the end of the gun. It's that the person sees the bead with the left eye which is the wrong sight picture.

The idea behind the dot or the tape is too obscure the bead/muzzle for the left eye causing the right eye to see the target to bead/muzzle relationship. In other words, the correct sight picture.

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:05 am 
Presentation Grade

I am right eye dominant but i wear contacts that are different in each eye. My right eye contact is focused for close in and my left eye for distance. Normally my brain assembles the images with no issues.

Now put a shotgun in front of my face and I see two barrels that merge around the bead. That makes it hard to point at the bird unless I focus on the bead to concentrate on the vision from my right eye. I've been closing my left eye to shoot but i am trying to switch to a dot on the lens to obscure my left eye.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A clamp on loupe (from tool suppliers like Granger) darkened/opaqued, might be used for Trap shooting.....what with a pre-mounted gun and limited motion....it probably wouldn't work for low gun Skeet or Hunting.

I've used a piece of tape for many years....
I've become reasonably adept at wing shooting both targets and feathered game......
The biggest problem I see in closing off one eye rather than having the tape in place is that, when a quick shot is required, as in a surprising sort of flush, invariably the left eye closing is forgotten.....another miss...regardless of good intentions...
IMO if one switches shoulders early enough in their career the problem is solved....otherwise use the tape or dot.....diddling around closing one eye is a guaranteed loosing proposition in the end...which due to intermittent and marginal success can disguise it's long term failure.
Seeing that if one isn't going to switch shoulders, the tape or dot is very much less than a perfect fix, but it is all over better than closing off the left eye.....especially when in a hurry up........That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......Art

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is an 8 year old thread,the OP may have it figured out by now LoL
And they haven't visited in 3 years.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh Brother :!: :!: :oops: ....Wing_Shoot got me.....I usually watch out for such silliness :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess it doesn't have much chance of turning into a discussion Eh?..........Okay there Wing_Shoot.....I'll be watchin for ya now :lol: :wink: .....Art

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yeah I was searching around and didn't notice the date.

The dot worked wonders today, I shot about 50 pairs of U pull and maybe missed 10 out of that 100 birds. Every one of the misses I knew it was me not doing my part. Unlike before when I swore it was right in there and the bird just sailed on.