CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I am new to clay sports and I really like them, I am shooting about 800-1200 a month at the moment and its starting to get expensive. I buy 12g estate shells for 5.5 a box this is the cheapest I can find. What exactly is it going to cost me to start reloading per box excluding any one time cost for equipment. I would either get the materials from cabelas or over the Internet and I would load 1oz or 7/8 skeet loads.

Post subject: Re: Cost of reloading
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Usually,it runs about $4.00 a box depending upon where you buy your components and you don't want to buy them at Cabelas.Powder and primers,have been out of stock,by most suppliers,now and they
currently have a back order list going on.It might be a year before things get back to normal on supply,
oh I assume the Estates at $5.50,was without tax?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Just my opinion, but if I were to consider reloading simply to save money I would continue to shoot the Estates. I reload only because I enjoy it. If I save any money that is just a bonus.

Pennsylvania in the Summer
Florida in the Winter

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes without tax, I am trying to keep the cost as low as I can. I like to shoot 8 rounds of skeet at a time and its 7$ range fee where I live + the 5.50 for the shells so its 100$ + tax per trip and it really adds up. If reloading would save only 12$ a trip I am not sure it would be worth it.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
Crown Grade

1200 rounds a month is 48 boxes X $2 savings (if not more) = 1 free trip per month

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's a reloading calculator just plug in your component costs and it'll show you how much a box it will cost you.

http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/vid ... ulator.htm

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Haroon wrote:
I am new to clay sports and I really like them, I am shooting about 800-1200 a month at the moment and its starting to get expensive. I buy 12g estate shells for 5.5 a box this is the cheapest I can find. What exactly is it going to cost me to start reloading per box excluding any one time cost for equipment. I would either get the materials from cabelas or over the Internet and I would load 1oz or 7/8 skeet loads.

What it will cost you depends on your specific load, whether you get hulls free and how you shop for components. Based on my last purchase of components I reload a box of 3/4oz 12ga target loads for $3.63; 7/8oz loads would cost $3.85. I use Rem Gun Club hulls which I scrounge for free and buy components from Grafs in bulk and new Eagle shot from Phillips Wholesale in CA by the ton. For skeet you don't need 7/8oz, 3/4 is plenty.

Bill Wood
Life Member:
NRA, NSSA/NSCA

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:04 pm 
Crown Grade

At Ben Avery clay target center you are not seeing gun clubs being dropped,usually,Estates and Rio's,the club manager says they can't even get gun clubs,the only thing being sold are Estates and some rio's ,better hang onto what you have.