CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tragic death of clays shooter at Florida's Tenoroc range
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:14 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

J,

I think you are right. We need to offer our prayers for this man's family. I don't think jokes are appropriate in this instance. There has been a tragic loss of life at a clay target club. This has to hit close to home for all clay target shooters. My prayers go out to his family. Thanks Steve for letting us know about this. Maybe we will all keep practicing saftey and maybe this incident will help to reminds of of being safe.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

The gentleman, Larry C Simpson, shot sporting clays and had 6150 registered targets. You can only speculate, but
it would appear that he was pulling the targets for his friend, since he was standing behing him. He may have been trying to
push the button and score, and hold the gun at the same time, and it may have slipped out of his grasp. As far as the gun being loaded, well, probably an unfired shell from the previous station. If it were an auto, you expect the action to be open after the last shot. I've seen shooters break a pair with one shot, and walk off the station with a shell in the gun.

He made some mistakes, and tragically it cost him his life.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Interesting that I see no comment on this tradegy on the skeet forum?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Focus. Tenoroc does not have skeet. Apparently the news thinks anything orange is a "skeet". Accidents happen, often tragically and unexplainable. Prayers to the man's family and friends, especially the guy who he was shooting with. That had to be plain awful.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Accidents can happen folks, especially when you're doing something that you've done thousands of times before.

Always keep your head in the game.

brad g.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I Knew Larry for 3 years. My prayers are with the family. There is more to the story then the news is saying. What i don't know but in my mind there is more to the story then what we are hearing. For everyones information talking about semi autos and different guns Larry was shooting a 32" K80.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Very sad indeed.

In my mind, the only way that this could have happened, is if the man in the stand turned around with his loaded weapon, and shot this poor fellow. How experienced is the Doc?

Unfortunately dead men can't talk.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 am 
Limited Edition

Maybe they dropped a shell while In the box, tucked the gun under the box at an angle butt first so that he can hold the barrel as to not drop the gun, picked up the shell, and raised the gun up by the barrel, in doing so, the trigger could have caught a branch twig in the trigger guard . I'm just speculating.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Prayers for those involved, a tragic loss of a fellow shooter.

NRA Life Member

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 am 
Tournament Grade

391 sl...First report was that it occured on a skeet range. Media, go figure!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Prayers sent for the family and friends.

This is the first death that I have heard of on a sporting clay course and hopefully the last. We can’t take anything for granted when it comes to safety.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

1st, condolences to all involved are in order, it is very unfortunate for both families and loved ones of each of the men involved. Both families will be deeply marred by the incident.

2nd, I put the question to the forum, how old is too old to be shooting clays? Obviously this sport is full of older retired folks. Assuming both of these men were in their early 70's? We had an incident a few years ago by an elderly gentlemen that resulted in a fatality as well. I know Florida struggles with elderly drivers, some who have failed their driving lisc. renewal tests but refuse to stop driving. As we age we lose memory, attention spans dwindle, orneryness goes up, it's a given. For you, is there an age that you will voluntarily stop clay shooting/duck hunting at? Some age gracefully and are sharp as ever at 80, some seem to be a little confused in their mid 60's. How will you determine when it is your time to hang up the sport and move on to recreation that is less lethal? Should a gun club do more / take more responsibility with elderly shooters to say "no more", effectively policing the sport? As the Boomers age, I think this is an issue nobody wants to talk about or recognize. We're all responsibile for safety, and choose who we shoot with, but should we say more when we see older folks who may be making more safety mistakes? If so, how do you say it and not allienate the elderly, which can be very difficult on a number of topics, let alone shooting and gun safety?

Last edited by cafowler1000 on Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 pm 
Crown Grade

70's - elderly? Not in my book.

I shoot regularly with guys in their 80's and they are safe (and usually better than me!) shooters.

Just how old are you?

Careless isn't a function of age.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GrizzlyAlan wrote:
70's - elderly? Not in my book.

I shoot regularly with guys in their 80's and they are safe (and usually better than me!) shooters.

Just how old are you?

Careless isn't a function of age.

Griz, I mostly agree, but I have seen instances where previously safe shooters begin to lose their attentiveness due to memory issues and/or even dementia. It can be slow and insidious but it happens with some frequency. Sometimes the warning sign is when shooters indicate "Just don't squad me with John Doe."

Consigliere of the Muller Mafia!
"Confidence breeds success breeds confidence, etc." - The secret of mojo!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I used to shoot with a gentleman in his mid to late 80's. He was a fine shot and a true gentleman but in the last couple of years it became apparent that he was forgetting where the targets were thrown from in 5 stand. Until someone had to stand behind him and remind him. One day the club got a call from an irate motorist. Coming from the north you have to cross a busy highway to get to the club entrance, well apparently he just made the turn without looking and cut them off.
I never saw him have a safety problem on the range. I haven't seen him lately. I don't know if the club said something to him or he decided on his own or he's not driving anymore. Or I just haven't been there when he was. I do miss shooting with him though.
At registered shoots this usually isn't a problem, but at charity shoots I tend to watch everyone like a hawk to ensure that there are no safety violations.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't know what the authorities are doing in the way of an investigation, but I would suggest that they examine the wad and shot size of the pellets found inside the dead man. Comparing that with the brand and shot size of ammo that each shooter was shooting that day may give some indication of which gun fired the shot.

Since the dead man obviously can't speak, this would help confirm (or refute) what the dead man's shooting partner is saying.

Personally, not knowing either of the people involved (as far as I know), I tend to think that it was either a tragic accident or a strange way/time for someone to commit suicide.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Getting ready to graduate to senior supervet, I can't totally disagree with the relevance of age to safety. I know I can't see or hear as well as I once did; and concentration sometimes seems to be an issue as well. Besides that, there's always the danger of stroke. heart attack, dizziness, fainting, etc. - all of which can occur while holding a loaded gun.
But the fact is that you're going to see a higher percentage of older shooters in the future. Sporting clays hasn't caught up with trap and skeet. I went to the Ohio State trapshoot a couple years ago, and commented that the average age must have been 100!
Forget about the juniors and sub-juniors. They never stay with the sport very long. The old retired guys are the future of the sport, like it or not.

cafowler1000: We don't "loose memory." We lose memory.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chronological age has little bearing on the issue of capability. I know guys in their 50s who are a menace to themselves and everyone around them...with cars, guns, power tools and all the rest. Conversely, I know guys in their 80s who are still sharp as a tack and very safe in whatever they do. You can't judge a person's capability by the number of years they have lived.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The ref told our squad someone earlier that day had put one into the ground right next to the hoop as he left it at the Seafood Blast FITASC this spring.

In my experience ANYONE [including myself] can make 'safety' mistakes.

My position is that I don't trust any gun. Period.

And people STOP sweeping me with your unloaded gun as you leave the stand or get it out of your cart. I don't give a fark that it's unloaded.

Cased guns riding horizontally on the racks of ATV's bug the crap out of me too. i.e. 2 at the U S Open this year.

braddkidjr wrote: ......#1 Take responsibility for your performance. (blaming your choke for being to tight, your squad-mate for talking too loud, or the trapper for pulling too slow isn't getting you anywhere...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:07 pm 
Crown Grade

No One Here Gets Out Alive - Jim Morrison

We all get old, we all die, there'd be no place left to park if we didn't - ysr_racer

brad g.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next