CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Substitute for Hodgdon's Clays?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's getting pretty tough to find Clays anywhere right now, and my stock is getting low so I may need to look at alternatives for 12 ga. target loads.

What do folks consider to be the best substitute for Clays?

Post subject: Re: Best Substitute for Hodgdon's Clays?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

I got educated on here, that Clay Dot was a planned substitute. I hope I put that right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:14 pm 
Crown Grade

One of the people from Alliant posted on this site that he had designed Clay Dot to be as close as possible to Clays and that he believes he came quite close. Personally I use a Promo as it does what I need done for at least $20 less a jug. However my understanding is Clay Dot does perform very similar to Clays. There has been some discussion that it might not measure exactly the same (a different bushing might be required.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Clay Dot is interchangeable with Clays at the same charge weights. Densities may vary slightly, so confirm that your favorite Clays bushing is throwing the same weight of Clay Dot (it did for me).

617422, I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the reply, guys. I think I'll give some Clay Dot a try -- looks like it's generally available.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Clay Dot was designed to mirror Clays, grain for grain, and it does exactly that. It is a bit denser, and generally takes one bushing smaller, to get the same drop weight as Clays when using in the area of 17 to 18 grs.

You can use Hodgdon's Clays recipe's for loading Clay Dot, and the reverse is also true. Grain for grain, (not bushing for bushing), Clay Dot loads exactly like Clays.

DLM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:21 am 
Crown Grade

jwr50 wrote:
What do folks consider to be the best substitute for Clays?

Titewad (best kept secret #3).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A few years ago, when I ran out of Clays and found it difficult to get, I bought an 8 pound jug of Red Dot. In the loads I was making, I didn't even have to change bushings on my Hornady 366 loader. The weight of the drops was within a 0.1 to 0.2 grain of being the same and the recipe was essentially the same, so no change at all was needed for me to switch to Red Dot. Works just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

No doubt: if you're looking for a nearly-seamless transition to another powder, the obvious choice is Clay Dot. Just double-check your powder drops to keep the same weight.

But I'd also encourage you to use this as an opportunity to try new things. 12ga has so many excellent choices that I've never understood why people get so married to just one powder. While there is something to be said about set-it-and-forget-it, with spotty availability it's good to be flexible.

You owe it to yourself to expand your horizons a little. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Shoot2reload wrote:
No doubt: if you're looking for a nearly-seamless transition to another powder, the obvious choice is Clay Dot. Just double-check your powder drops to keep the same weight.

But I'd also encourage you to use this as an opportunity to try new things. 12ga has so many excellent choices that I've never understood why people get so married to just one powder. While there is something to be said about set-it-and-forget-it, with spotty availability it's good to be flexible.

You owe it to yourself to expand your horizons a little. Enjoy!

yup, one of the best things about reloading is there are 1000s of recipes out there. i tried titewad years ago. it is a wonderful powder. although i moved on to different powder. i still love it.
the 1lb canisters are there for minimal reloading runs, buy a lb of powder and print off 350 shells or so. you dont have to stay to the same power.

the problem i sometimes have, when teaching new reloaders is they dont want to change anything at all. they want to buy one bushing to use one powder, for one load. usually 1,1/8oz #6.

you are not married to one product /powder /reload /hull /wad / other.
live alittle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Another vote for Clay Dot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

jwr50 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, guys. I think I'll give some Clay Dot a try -- looks like it's generally available.

And where might that be?

I've been looking for some and it's been generally unavailable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Couldn't find Clays so bought a jug of International Clays. Works fine. different recipes though...19.8gr of Clays versus 21gr of International for the same fps.
Was also going to us it for 20g, but pressure tends to be too high for tubes, so went with 20/28.

Going to buy some Claydot if I can find it.

NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Certified RSO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Claydot on my third 8 lb. jug. Sub weight for weight not always the same bushing as Clays in charts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Want the truth, I have two 8lb jugs of clays that have been collecting dust since I switch over to Promo for target loads in 12 gauge instead. And yes, the Promo is even run through a gas gun as well for skeet.

Burning visually cleaner has nothing to do with breaking targets (clays still leaves fouling in the gas action anyways, so no powder burns without leaving a trace), and at over $35 a jug cheaper, Promo just gets it done as well as clays.

So truth is, since Promo is mostly for shotgun loads, its easy to find, cheaper to buy, and reloads using red dot data by weight (not volume).

The only downfall I see for it, is handicap trap full loads at 1270fps (green dot here), but you don't use clays for such handicap loads anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Dano523 wrote:
Want the truth, I have two 8lb jugs of clays that have been collecting dust since I switch over to Promo for target loads in 12 gauge instead. And yes, the Promo is even run through a gas gun as well for skeet.

Burning visually cleaner has nothing to do with breaking targets (clays still leaves fouling in the gas action anyways, so no powder burns without leaving a trace), and at over $35 a jug cheaper, Promo just gets it done as well as clays.

So truth is, since Promo is mostly for shotgun loads, its easy to find, cheaper to buy, and reloads using red dot data by weight (not volume).

The only downfall I see for it, is handicap trap full loads at 1270fps (green dot here), but you don't use clays for such handicap loads anyways.

Pretty much my thoughts also. I don't have the two jugs of Clays getting dusty but did go through E3 and Titewad before Promo. Every time I consider another powder I think what would it do for me that Promo won't do and do I want that bad enough to pay $20-30 more per jug? The answer is always No, except for 11/8 handicap loads. I use Am Select for that but would not hesitate to use Green Dot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:16 am 
Crown Grade

Clay Dot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm 
Field Grade

One more for Clay Dot. Bought and 8# jug 3 years ago, and just cracked it. Didn't shoot for health reasons.