CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the best way to push the slide release?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Mossberg 500 and was wondering what the best way is to release the slide. My release is on the left side just behind the trigger and I'm right handed. I've figured I can either reach under, behind the trigger guard and push up, or reach over the top of the receiver and push up with my thumb. Either way takes me out of firing position and I have to hold it up while pulling the slide back. Any method I can think of requires me to regrip the gun to shoot. Is this normal?

Post subject: Re: What's the best way to push the slide release?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Unless I'm missing something, why would you want to operate the slide release without bringing the gun down from shooting position?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is there some reason you are starting with a cocked gun on an empty chamber? Start with an empty, open gun. Drop a shell in the ejection port and close the gun. Load any additional shells in the magazine. Only load one in the magazine if you are at a range shooting a game that allows two shots. No additional shells if you are shooting trap. When you have shot your last shell, leave the action open, until ready to repeat the process. No need to touch the slide release unless you are unloading a live round. Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

"Is there some reason you are starting with a cocked gun on an empty chamber?"

Obviously because I'm a shotgun newbie who's not thinking. Great advice, and that's why I come here.

So, what's the purpose of the slide lock?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oregunner wrote:
No need to touch the slide release unless you are unloading a live round. Mark

If you have a live round in the chamber, or if you need to empty the magazine, then reach under the gun with your right hand and hold the slide release while you cycle the action. Sounds like it's time to read the owner's manual again. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREAR ... rg_500.pdf
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:53 am 
Crown Grade

The only time I use the slide release is if:
#1= I'm loading the chamber and the bolt is closed.
#2= I want to unload the chamber without firing the gun.
I normally push the release button with the middle finger of my shooting had (right handed). I shoot a Wingmaster which has the release forward of the trigger guard and will do the same with my sons Winchester 1300/release rear of the trigger guard.
Been doing it that way for so long is now a habit! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm now keeping the gun propped in the corner with a couple rounds of less than lethal ammo in the magazine with the bolt closed. This way I have to go through two safeties if a bear shows up. As suggested it's easier to reach under the gun behind the trigger guard and push up. For human intruders I have better "stuff." :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Use your middle finger with a normal grip.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:03 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ok, first of all:

What's the purpose of the slide lock?: It's to keep the slide closed and locked into battery while the round is fired. Pulling the trigger, in addition to firing the gun, will release the slide lock. NEVER PULL THE TRIGGER JUST TO UNLOCK THE SLIDE. THE GUN WILL FIRE IF THERE IS A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER. THAT is what the SLIDE LOCK RELEASE is for.

What's the best way of depressing the slide lock? I would recommend using either your trigger finger or the middle finger of your shooting hand. Don't worry about "breaking" your grip; I'm going to assume that you won't feel the need to unload your shotgun in a situation where your life is at risk. If you feel the need to open the action, then the action is over, and you're making the gun safe.

If you're loading, there are 2 methods:

1. "Hot standby": Make sure the gun is unloaded - no ammo in the magazine nor in the chamber or on the loading ramp. Carefully close the action, MAKING CERTAIN you do not chamber a round! With the muzzle in a safe direction, pull the trigger. Then, load the magazine to capacity. From this condition, all you need to do is work the action, point the gun and pull the trigger.

2. "Load Hot": Check the weapon, ensure it's unloaded. Put the safety "on". With the action open, drop a round in through the loading/ejection port - make sure the brass is to the rear! Then, close the action vigorously. Then, fill up the magazine tube. To fire, you need to move the safety "off", point it and pull the trigger.

Safe direction = No possiblity of injury to a person, and minimal property damage if the gun should fire. A loading/clearing barrel, down into the ground are ideal choices.

Check out the 28 Ga Society! Copy/paste into your URL window:

28gasociety.46.forum er.com

Delete the space between "forum" and "er", and hit the "Enter" key. SGW's softer buggers direct links.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 am 
Field Grade

I really did a double take here. I read the post and though "slide release"? Is it my imagination, or is this a recent attempt at lawyer-proofing. I had a 500, purchased in 2001 and I don't remember a slide release button, but it has been a decade since I sold it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Finkelroy wrote:
I really did a double take here. I read the post and though "slide release"? Is it my imagination, or is this a recent attempt at lawyer-proofing. I had a 500, purchased in 2001 and I don't remember a slide release button, but it has been a decade since I sold it.

I just played with an older Model 500 and it had a slide release just like mine. I don't know when this started, but without the release you would have to pull the trigger to open the slide. Based on the shotguns I've handled manufacturers seem to put the release all over the place on the gun.