CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SNIPE HUNTING
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:06 am 
Utility Grade

im 19 years old and i live in asia. I experienced my first snipe hunting last week. my dad always go on snipe hunting on weekends and only now i decided to join him. we hunt snipes here in farms, farmers contact us everytime the soil is wet and there is water. i learned the nature and habitat of the snipe. it likes those wet areas but the water should not be high. everytime we hunt them we have to helpers on our back. one of them catches the shells and one picks up the bird. the first time i handled a shotgun was last week. i used a semi automatic remington(12 gauge) and my dad and his friend used over/unders(12 gauge).i shot a snipe the first time i fired the gun, amazing. we hunt from 730 am to 4pm. i bagged 34 snipes and used 60 shells that day, not bad. the older guys average 50 to 40 on a good day. how do u hunt for snipes there in the usa?=) i just want to share my story hope i i can hear yours, we call snipes here in the Phils - (KANDURO)

Post subject: Re: SNIPE HUNTING
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:08 am 
Utility Grade

and do u have regulations on how many snipes you can bag in a day?=)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:12 am 
Utility Grade

and do u have regulations on how many snipes you can bag in a day?=)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Sounds like a fun day of shooting. I think most limits on snipe here in the states are set at 8 birds per day, but that could vary in certain locations. When our resident snipe hunting guru checks in i'm sure he will respond to your post. Where are you Snipe Hunter?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I used to kill snipe while quail hunting back home in South Carolina.They are a member of the woodcock family. They tast good too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:08 am 
we hunt snipes here in the philippines... u bag around 8 in a day?..thats few...its easy to hunt snipe on this time of the year..they migrate here in the phils..form august to january..by this time the birds are really fat and they fly slow=) :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Chilled Shot, am I the Guru of snipe hunting? :lol: I appreciate the title. Sorry, I was out of town on business and online servive was only available at the motel priced by the hour so for the last week I have been AWOL.

Yes, we do have snipe in the U.S. Hunting them isn't too popular over here but a couple of the Gulf Coast states have a few hunters hanging out in the marshes. From the time the first colonists arrived until about halfway through the nineteenth century the snipe was possibly the most commonly hunted game bird in the country. Even after the civil war there are accounts of two and three hundred or more birds per day shot. Today the snipe is way down the list in popularity. The historical aspect is part of the reason I enjoy hunting them so much. I am not sure if you know which species you have but there are several of them. In other threads in this section you can find a few pictures of what we have here. Snipe hunting was not allowed in the U.S. from a time just after out Great Depression early in the last season until (I believe) the mid to late fifties. This was due to overshooting during the market days when people shot without season or bag limits. We have several other species of shorebirds here also that were commonly hunted but only a modern hunting season was established for snipe. If any of you guys have any pictures of your snipe from other countries I'd like to see them.

SH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Are snipe any way related to woodcock? I've hunted woodcock my times in MI. We have what I think are snipe here in Idaho. They look alot like but fly differently than any woodcock I've seen. These birds here are fast and jink all over the place, seem very challenging as a game bird.
Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just a side note, did any of you know that the term "sniper", as in the long range experts in the army" was invented from shooting this bird. I think it was the British I heard that were stationed somewhere around India, maybe, during the early 1900's I believe, and they would have long range competitions of shooting snipe, and the term was somehow adopted.

Clinton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rob, you are describing the flight of a snipe. They are related to woodcock. They are both in the sandpiper family Scolopacidae which includes most long billed shorebirds. Woodcock are the genus Scolopax and snipe are Gallinago.

Clinton, thanks for adding that. I knew the term was related but not the specifics.

SH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here is a picture of a couple I shot this morning.

SH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:36 am 
Hello Snipe Hunter.

Yes, we shoot the same specie of snipe (Gallinago Gallinago) here in the Philippines. They migrate here from China or Siberia starting from end of August to March. Kanduro is correct, by this time they are fat and complacent and flush nearer but not slower to the guns. They are very tasty birds and we usually grill some of the bag for lunch.

I don't believe we have a bag limit here but one needs to be in good physical shape to hunt these birds. We walk an average of 4 to 6 km a day in rice fields and swampy areas on a typical snipe hunt. We had a couple of bad typhoons a couple of weeks ago and as a result our usual hunting grounds have been flooded. Everyone is now looking for the areas where the birds have holed up. Am trying a new area on the 24th. Will post some pictures here next week if we are lucky.

Merry Christmas to all.

Jonetm