CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: less than lethal loads
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:43 am 
Tournament Grade

ok, where could I find recipes for making less than lethal loads?
rubber/plastic BBS?

Post subject: Re: less than lethal loads
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

That's a good question. I've seen cops use small bean bags, but would not know where to get the data for them. Maybe look to see who makes them and ask the company.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I think reloading rock salt with massively cranked down shot shell equivalent load data would not be harmful to you or your gun. Then test it similarly to what this guy did for its lethality and adjust powder accordingly. I also agree with his end statement....If you need to stop an intruder STOP HIM!

Rock Salt vs Bean Bag vs Ribs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQCMQ4K3PY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

For self defence when your life is threatened why would you want to use a less than leathal load?

CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Level II Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

My kid suggests airsoft ammo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ok. Confession time. I have loaded airsoft ammo in a shotgun shell. Here is what happened. I was loading up ammo a couple of summers ago for when my son was coming down for a visit. I ran out of lead shot with 5 empty shells left. When my son would come down in the summer, he had an airsoft gun that he would shoot in the backyard. He asked me why we couldn't load those 5 shells with airsoft ammo. Since I already had a primer, powder, and wad in the shells, we added airsoft ammo and crimped those last 5. These were 20 gauge loads with 7/8 ounce wads. 20 airsoft pellets wouldn't allow for a good crimp so we used 19 per shell. They were obviously way lighter than the shells loaded with lead shot. So we go out with my thrower and a box of clays. We decide to setup some clays on the ground about 10 yards away and shoot the airsoft loads at them just to see what they would do. We broke 4 in a row on the ground. I told my son to throw a clay off of the thrower and I would try to hit the clay out of the air with the last airsoft shell. I didn't expect it to work. My son launched the clay and I tried to get on it quick. It was probably between 15 and 20 yards when I shot. The clay broke! Surprised us both! So I know it will work and is lethal on clay targets out to about 20 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

cfoster wrote:
For self defence when your life is threatened why would you want to use a less than leathal load?

Drunk idiot who thinks he is at home & it happens to be yours instead of his, son sneaking out & coming back in getting caught. I had. A drunk try & come in my house & my son snuck out once. Plenty of reasons why a less than lethal round might be a decent choice. My little retard was quiet until he heard me rack the slide of my Glock :lol: