Post subject: Portland area is getting a Cabellas and Bass Pro, YE-HA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:32 pm 
Utility Grade

BYE BYE Dicks SG

Post subject: Re: Portland area is getting a Cabellas and Bass Pro, YE-HA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You should be able to find most any rifle/pistol ammo you could want and quite a bit of shotgun ammo.

If you like the 28ga look at the new 28ga socity forum. SGW does not like f o r u m e r direct links, so copy and paste the link below and retype it to read f o r u m e r instead of furum without the spaces.
28gasociety.furum.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

So where is it going to be located at?

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:31 am 
Utility Grade

Sorry for opening and old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything new about Bass Pro coming to the PDX area? I know Cabella's is under construction, but was wondering if there was an updated on the other?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Not that I know of. The new cabelas should be open in a few weeks though.

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm definitely looking forward to that one, but I'd love to see Bass Pro as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was looking forward to it too until I recently went down to the Eugene location (first time in a cabelas) and dang near died of sticker shock, and it's not much different then a sportmans warehouse really. I will still go check out the new store but the thrill has kind of puttered out of me... :(

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:44 pm 
Utility Grade

That's good to know. I'm always happy to have a variety of choices, though Cabella's will be my favorite.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I remember the cabelas catalog when I was a kid. It was like getting the sears Christmas wish list catalog with all the toys you wanted to get. We didn't have a sportsmans nor a cabelas so it was really cool to see the catalog a few times each year. Fast forward a number of years and after going in and out of sportsmans for a number of years cabelas ain't much different, except they sell used guns, have higher prices, and have more stuffed animals here and there. I went into the Eugene one looking for clays actually. I was disappointed that they only had the standard size, and you could pick up the same thing at bimart cheaper when it goes on sale.

NSCA #603848

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

My personal term for stores like these is "Temple to the Outdoors". Well these "temples" usually have high prices, pretty much all of them. Bass Pro, Cabellas, Gander Mountain, Field and Stream, Scheels, and there are others, they all have prices that are higher than many on-line vendors. What they do have is a pretty good selection of in stock merchandise to look at.

I am usually willing to pay a reasonable premium on relatively small purchases. When I compare the prices I need to remember that many on-line merchants have high shipping costs especially if you are making a single item purchase, so I need to add the cost of shipping to determine a real apples-to-apples comparison. Add in the convenience of a good return or exchange policy and the nod can quickly move to the brick and mortar store, so long as the difference is not too great.

What I won't do is to buy a high cost item that carries large difference in price. If for example I am considering a new firearm that on-line would come in at $1500 including shipping and FFL fees, but that firearm is $1800 before sales tax at the "temple", the nod easily goes to the on-line merchant. The only mitigating factor might be the ability to select prettier wood in person, this does have value.

Use the "temples" wisely. Sometimes their sales prices are as good or better than can be found elsewhere. Just remember... it's like Las Vegas, the pretty decorations need to be paid for one way or another.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Withak wrote:
I'm definitely looking forward to that one, but I'd love to see Bass Pro as well.

Basspro is like an outdoors oriented walmart. Cheap junk everywhere. I used to go there to buy fishing tackle, but now I'll spend my money elsewhere. They really are a mockery nowadays.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:04 am 
Tournament Grade

I noticed cabelas is very much into themselves. Lot's of self brand items, including $25 ball caps with their name on it. :shock:

NSCA #603848