CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester SXP, any good?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 pm 
Field Grade

Hello again,
I have been toying with the idea of a pump action shotgun and have been looking at a Winchester SXP, they are priced at around £360 which to me seems like good value for money but I cant seem to find much information on them in terms of quality and reliability, I know they are made in Turkey, the U.K market is flooded with Turkish auto loaders, some good, some not so good but not really pumps.

What is the general consensus? good gun? waste of money? I own a Winchester SX3 and am extremely impressed with it which is what's got me onto the idea of an SXP ( more as a fun gun) :D

Post subject: Re: Winchester SXP, any good?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

There is some decent reviews on the SXP in the shotgun opinion forum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

coneybasher wrote:
Hello again,
I have been toying with the idea of a pump action shotgun and have been looking at a Winchester SXP

It is merely average, a cheap version of what was always a cheap and lackluster action: the 1300.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 pm 
Limited Edition

360 pounds sterling converts to about $550 U.S. For that kind of money you can get a Browning BPS which will be a far better shotgun than the Turkish made Winchester. Or maybe a Benelli Super Nova if you can stand the "ultra modern" look of them. See what else you can find in the shops.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Benelli Supernova.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:21 am 
Limited Edition

I had a look at one of these guns. In New Zealand they were selling for the equivalent of GBP 277. Even at that price I decided it was not worth the money because the stock is made for midgets and was quite useless for a person of fairly normal proportions. Also, a well made copy of the Remington 870 (made in China, where else?) could be had for the equivalent of GBP 166 with a normal synthetic stock. I bought the Remington 870 copy and for what I use it for it is ideal, one tough gun, not pretty but entirely functional.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:24 am 
Diamond Grade

I never believed one could call a pump shotgun a jam-o-matic until I saw some new SXPs being used at my shooting club.

I felt sorry for the family of n00bs that bought two of them at the same time.

They are complete turds. Spend your money elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:26 am 
Presentation Grade

deadapair wrote:
I never believed one could call a pump shotgun a jam-o-matic until I saw some new SXPs being used at my shooting club.

I felt sorry for the family of n00bs that bought two of them at the same time.

They are complete turds. Spend your money elsewhere.
That's funny, me and a few guys on here have them and haven't had a single problem with them. Maybe they didn't clean the bolts on the things before they shot them. I've actually read a lot on them before I bought mine and didn't find anything about them jamming or FTF's.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:24 am 
Diamond Grade

It wasn't funny to the people who burned their money only to be pissed off and frustrated. There are better options out there, even if one has to pay a little more.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:08 am 
Field Grade

I have an SXP and love it. No problems or issues after a couple thousand rounds. Deadapair, is it possible that the FTF's could have been due to ammo, rather than gun? Or perhaps the "noobs" didn't assemble the guns correctly after cleaning? I think it may be possible to screw up reassembly of firing pin, spring, bolt if you don't follow the instructions. For two SXPs (owned by same family) having problems at the same time, my bet is on ammo or operator error.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

They were shooting RIO #8 1 1/4 oz field loads.

The guns never jammed when empty but refused to go into battery (and lock up in the process) or to open once fired.

My 11-87 ate their ammo and spat it out without a problem.

The SXP apologists would blame the cartridges. I blame crappy process control and inspection that allows guns with undersized chambers to leave the factory.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:08 pm 
Field Grade

Deadapair,
3" shells? I have heard of some issues with the SXP's and 3" shells. Mine eats them up and spits them out as well. I hope that they contacted Winchester right away. If the gun failed to lock, how did it fire? Unless something was seriously wrong, if it was not fully in battery, the weapons should not have been capable of firing. It sounds like it did go into battery and lock, but chamber did not allow enough room for expansion of the case, thus a failure to extract or possibly unlock. My buddy's Mossberg did this exact same thing last month. He had to get another barrel.
I am certainly not an apologist, and call a spade a spade. I don't consider the SXP as one of the all-time great guns ever produced. But for what I spent, I feel it is a very good, capable shotgun. I have shot all types of guns (from pistols to automatic grenade launchers) and have seen problems,issues and broken parts with many (even new ones). Even had a pistol practically blow up in my hand. The fact of the matter is: poor quality is poor quality, no matter the make or model. The manufacturer has an obligation to take corrective action immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Moot jaeger wrote:
The manufacturer has an obligation to take corrective action immediately.

Actually, they don't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Moot jaeger wrote:
The manufacturer has an obligation to take corrective action immediately.

Actually, they don't.

I don't follow you Randy, they come with a warranty. How are they not obligated to repair anything like that?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

deadapair wrote:
It wasn't funny to the people who burned their money only to be pissed off and frustrated. There are better options out there, even if one has to pay a little more.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten.

They aren't cheap guns, just not as expensive as a certain Italiano, but all of us know that just because it says made in Italy doesn't mean, (As I have seen with my own eyes) that they are the greastest. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Browning / Winchester has no written warranty, in general. Nor does Ruger. A Winchester SXP comes with no written warranty.

Where would anyone get the idea that they are obligated? Much less to take "corrective action immediately"?

A direct quote:

"What is the warranty on Winchester brand rifles and shotguns?"

"Winchester Repeating Arms does not provide written warranties on most of our products and currently there is no “lifetime” warranty on any Winchester Repeating Arms Company product."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

VincentCorrea wrote:
deadapair wrote:

They aren't cheap guns, just not as expensive as a certain Italiano, but all of us know that just because it says made in Italy doesn't mean, (As I have seen with my own eyes) that they are the greastest. :mrgreen:

I've been earning my living in precision manufacturing (including precision machining) since 1995.

I assure you that I can spot the difference between inexpensive (a good value) and cheap ( waste of money) quite easily.

I'm glad your gun works, I don't wish anyone to waste their hard earned money. But there are better ways to get an affordable shotgun. One of which is to buy a quality, used, well cared for one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 am 
Field Grade

Thank you all for your replies, since my initial question I have been doing some digging, apparently the guns were released later than anticipated because Winchester were not happy with the quality of the product, also I have heard that the shot pattern is pretty poor, although this could just be speculative and as I have not yet shot one I cannot comment.
A BPS was suggested to me but sadly I have never seen one in the U.K, saw an Ithica model 37 which I liked but it was classed as a section 1 firearm ( could hold more than two rounds in the mag) and I did not have a good enough reason to have a section 1 shotgun put on my firearms certificate :roll: .

I may find a mossy 500 that is going cheap and do it up, I have owned them before and know about their bombproof nature :D .

I think I was attracted to the SXP due to the speed cycling but im sure something else will show up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Most people are unaware that there is no "Winchester" in terms of firearms. Winchester exists as a trademark and brand name owned by Olin Chemical. There is no Winchester firearm made today, only firearms branded, boxed, and marketed as such by paying a licensing fee to Olin Chemical.

Herstal Group makes firearms in the U.S., Belgium, Portugal, and Japan. They have no assets in Turkey, the SXP being the only Turkish product they market.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21 am 
Field Grade

Thanks Randy, that's very interesting information, my SX3 was manufactured by FN Herstal and I will never part with that gun : )