CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ideas about polishing/seasoning a shotgun bore.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I polish the bores of my shotguns with a special adaptor (Borekisser) that puts wool felt wheels on a threaded shank. The polishing medium is Flitz or Glanol or fine automotive compound, whatever is available.

After the final clean patch comes out clean, polishing brings out a lot more gunk.

This might very well be self suggestion, there is no objective way to quantify the results, so no flames, please. The guns with polished bores seem to foul less, are easier to clean, and recoil seems to be softer.

What is undeniable is that the polished (and unchromed) bores are in perfect condition after years of use and thousands of rounds through them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

If you want to do that to keep the bore clean, have at it. No way it's going to affect felt recoil though.

I've known a fair amount of high volume and top competitive shooters. None that I know of ever "season their bores".

I've never heard of or seen Todd Bender or David Radulovich "seasoning their bores".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Anytime you put polish/abrasive down the bore more "gunk" will come out. That black stuff is actually steel that the abrasive is taking off of the surface of the bore. Does it make the bore smoother? Yes it does, all the rest --- what ever you want to believe.

And bore butter = snake oil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:55 am 
Field Grade

jaguarxk120 wrote:
Anytime you put polish/abrasive down the bore more "gunk" will come out. That black stuff is actually steel that the abrasive is taking off of the surface of the bore. Does it make the bore smoother? Yes it does, all the rest --- what ever you want to believe.

And bore butter = snake oil

Exactly.............that's why lapping a bore is called "controlled wear"....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I may quote a gun smith, Roy F Dunlap, Many of the members have his book Gunsmithing. I don't know what edition it is, it's marked 1959. Any way on page 333. The last part of the quote is the most important.

"The gunsmith can polish a barrel and remove much of it's tendency to metal foul. The lead lap is not practical since the shotgun barrel usually has several different diameters, shoulders and bevels in its length, so a wooden or metal mandrel should be used, with crocus cloth wrapped around it, should the barrel show toolmarks, or if apparently smooth, with a plain cotton cloth saturated with oil and the finest lapping compound you have on hand. The lap rod is inserted from the breech and marked so that the lap will not reach into the muzzle end of the choke boring. It is pulled and pushed straight back and forth and should never be turned in the barrel."

I wonder how constant in diameter barrels are that have had the drill motor treatment?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the benefit of the discussion, and in the interest of full disclosure, I know that cast iron skillets can be well seasoned (One of mine was given to my parents for a wedding present in 1947, and it's nearly as slick as Teflon) and I know I've read a lot about seasoned steel rifle barrels for muzzle loaders (I think a few of mine are well seasoned, because they surely are slicker than when new) and I've advocated the electric drill and 0000 steel wool method of shotgun bore cleaning for many years now, and do it constantly, and now I find out that some folks who sound like they have a greater scientific knowledge than I was ever taught say what I've been doing is burnishing my shotgun barrels and that it's not possible to season steel barrels at all. I'm honestly confused by all this damn science, which always comes around to mess up my perfectly good and settled opinions that I have long held to be common knowledge facts. But the truth is the truth, whatever my opinion and experience,,,,so let's read an opinion on burnishing a shotgun bore,,,that was an earlier link here posted by Patriot,,,not my opinion:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.sho ... shing.html

Shotgun Bore Burnishing.

This applies to all shotgun bores other than chromed bores, all shotgun bores are polished but not burnished, burnishing removes all the scratches from shotgun bores left by polishing with abrasives.

Burnishing actually closes the pores in metal and leaves the metal surface very slick, it will make almost any shotgun more consistent in patterning and point of impact.

It reduces substantially plastic fouling left in shotgun bores from plastic wads, which reduces pattern consistency.

Burnishing is really simple to do but is very time consuming, when done properly it can be very rewarding in benefit of pattern density and consistency.

To burnish a shotgun bore all you need is:

(1) A piece of dowel rod the length of the barrel.

(2) An electric drill.

(3) 0000 steel wool which is my favorite.

Take the dowel rod and make a few nicks in the end that you will run through the bore just enough to grab the steel woool, wind the steel wool around the dowel rod like a q-tip just enough so that it will pass through the bore of barrel while being spun by the drill, next just chuck the rod in the drill and start burnishing, run the whole rod back and forth the entire bore for about an hour.

If the bore is rough from rust a little shot of wd-40 on the steel wool will help.

I have used this method on all my shotguns and results are always the same extremely bright bores and consistent shooters.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Being a lawyer by profession and a hillbilly from Humansville by birth, my only knowledge of science was gained many years ago and may be completely outmoded or I may have forgotten the principles if I was ever taught them in the first place. So,,,,can you:

1. Season a cast iron skillet? I sure think you can, but I don't know the science.

2. Season a mild steel muzzleloader rifle barrel? I've just always assumed you could.

3. Is it burnishing when I put the electric drill rig to a shotgun? I never thought about it, but it sounds right. I thought you needed a lap with very mild lapping compound (jeweler's rouge) to burnish up a barrel, but maybe not.

4. Can you season a chrome moly or ordinance steel modern shotgun barrel? I don't know, never even thought about doing the same thing to a shotgun you do all the time to cast iron skillets and muzzleloaders with rifled steel barrels.

5. Why? I'm in the scientific darkness and seeking the light. I am an unlettered peasant seeking out wise counsel from well seasoned and literate scientific priests with highly burnished minds. I question the science and want to be educated on the science of this subject.

I've always been curious about things I think I know but might not. Going through life seeking more knowledge is a good and noble goal, I think. Beats the hell out of defending ignorance and superstition, although it's not nearly as easy, as popular, or as much fun.:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

Some of y'all need to spend some time in front of a lathe cutting chips before you can talk about this.......

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:11 pm 
Crown Grade

deadapair wrote:
Some of y'all need to spend some time in front of a lathe cutting chips before you can talk about this.......

Yes indeed. One might be able to "Polish" a rough bore, but not "season" it.

I'm a big fan of cast iron cookware by the way, and yes, I carefully "season" them and then carefully maintain that "seasoning.

But in my mind, that seasoning basically lays on top of the metal and in the rough spots and builds up a layer. It can be easily removed if one is not careful.

I'm not a full time metallurgist, just a mechanical engineer that has done a fair amount of work involving metallurgy and also with lubrication.

Early in my career I worked in a mill making Metal alloys including high-tech nickel alloys and powdered metal nickel alloys.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:45 am 
Crown Grade

deadapair wrote:

I did! First full time job was running automatic screw machine!
Basically a five spindle bar stock lathe, ran two machines at a time (normal), 9-12 hours a day, 6 days a week for 8 years. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:39 am 
Diamond Grade

wb wrote:
deadapair wrote:

I did! First full time job was running automatic screw machine!
Basically a five spindle bar stock lathe, ran two machines at a time (normal), 9-12 hours a day, 6 days a week for 8 years. :mrgreen:

Oh, I'm sure there's quite a few of us here who actually know how to work steel. My comment was for the peanut gallery who thinks steel has pores and gets their knowledge from asking some website intern at Remington.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:58 pm 

Conditioning shotgun bore = Hokum.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you're "cleaning" a thin walled double with steel wool in a drill all you're doing is removing barrel wall thickness. Have fun with that when your barrels burst.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

clink83 wrote:
If you're "cleaning" a thin walled double with steel wool in a drill all you're doing is removing barrel wall thickness. Have fun with that when your barrels burst.

I seriously doubt it as the barrels are quite a bit harder than steel wool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

I never cease to be amazed by the sorts of things men believe about their guns. My all time favorite was when I was shooting a lot of rimfire and one "expert" declared he had "scientifically" determined that when one was changing from one brand or type of ammo to another, one must shoot two rounds per inch of barrel length to "condition" the barrel to the new ammo. People believed equal absurdities when I used to shoot air rifle field target competitions. In shotguns, I particularly like the opinions about how shorter barrels are "whippy" and longer barrels "point" better, though I have never gotten a straight answer about exactly what "whippy" or "point" means. I really do love these "discussions". I think I'll go rub some unsalted butter on my Remington's bore, just after I take it off the barrel stretcher which I am told will remove it's whippyness.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

deadapair wrote:
clink83 wrote:

If that was true steel wool wouldn't polish the barrels. If you use the finest steel wool it might take a while, but its a real possibility. How many old sxs out there do you think there are that bubba gunsmith honed the pits out of or fixed the dents without checkingvthe minumum wall thickness?
I'm amazed that some people do it on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

clink83 wrote:
deadapair wrote:
clink83 wrote:

If that was true steel wool wouldn't polish the barrels. If you use the finest steel wool it might take a while, but its a real possibility. How many old sxs out there do you think there are that bubba gunsmith honed the pits out of or fixed the dents without checkingvthe minumum wall thickness?
I'm amazed that some people do it on a regular basis.

I'm done discussing this thread. The level of metalworking ignorance has reached monumental proportions and I feel like I'm trying to empty the ocean with a bucket.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

How have I managed to use steel wool to remove tooling marks on gun parts before? How do you polish a bore without removing material? If you can give me a mechanism for that that's something other than "steel wool is an abrasive material" I'll say I was wrong, but I can't think of anything else to explain it.

I'm not talking about doing it once, I'm talking about the people who clean their bore constantly that way.