CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triple Barrel Shotgun?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:34 am 
Crown Grade

Anyone try one of these awesome looking guns out yet?

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/135

I can only imagine the looks one of those would get on the trap range! 8) Not to mention, it would make a great AOW/SBS. :twisted:

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

Post subject: Re: Triple Barrel Shotgun?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:59 am 
Diamond Grade

I don't see the point of it for clay sports, since the third barrel is useless. But I do see some serious potential as a waterfowler.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 am 
Crown Grade

They're very heavy, and I don't see the point of one at all. I handled one at the NRA show in Houston. Gimmicky.

I'd rather have other tools in my toolbox.

WEAPONRY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyopDuw1rhs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:34 am 
Crown Grade

How about this one?

http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/triple-bar ... for-66000/

Quote:
...at some point, some rich guy from Scotland was either so good or so bad that he wanted a third shot. So in 1891, this beauty, known as The Holy Grail, came into existence. It was made for a rather wealthy fella named John Adrian Louis Hope, the 1st Marquess of Linlithgow. Anyone with a title that complicated had to have had some cash on hand.

This triple barrel shotgun was made by John Dickson & Son, a famous gun making duo out of Edinburgh, Scotland. It was made so well that it still fires today. But the mechanism that made it work was so complicated that it wasn’t used for mass production.

It’s a 16-gague side-by-side-by-side design and is the definition of a one of a kind piece. When it went up for auction at a London auction house, bids flew in from all over the world. The price to take it home that night was $66,000. That’s $22,000 per barrel. Sheesh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

Gimmicky, has to be of lower quality but I do wish to see and handle one.
If positive reports come out about the reliability then one may be on the wish list for informal targets and perhaps waterfowl.

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bet that tang safety mechanism was wild. Looks like it is currently set on the middle barrel first.
That is something to see. However to my old huntin eyes it just looks weird. Would be like a female with three breasts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:22 am 
Tournament Grade

looks like the guy was a lefty the way the triggers are staggered.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also handled one at the NRA Convention in Houston. Way too cumbersome and heavy. I would not bother even picking one up again. Its not worth the strange looks you'd get just to be different. It would get very old, very quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will say that I have not handled a three barreled shotgun but Chippa's website lists its three barreled shotgun at 8.7lbs. I have a 12ga Remington 11-87 that weighs 8.2lbs but it maxed out my postal scale so it is heavier than that. So I am not seeing the weight or feel being an issue but like I said I have never handled one.

If you like the 28ga look at the new 28ga socity forum. SGW does not like f o r u m e r direct links, so copy and paste the link below and retype it to read f o r u m e r instead of furum without the spaces.
28gasociety.furum.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:39 pm 
Limited Edition

How much was it? I didn't see a price in the link.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Weird first time I looked on Chippa's website they had the MSRP of the gun. Any ways the MSRP is $1,629.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-sh ... ple-threat

If you like the 28ga look at the new 28ga socity forum. SGW does not like f o r u m e r direct links, so copy and paste the link below and retype it to read f o r u m e r instead of furum without the spaces.
28gasociety.furum.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ksfowler166 wrote:
I will say that I have not handled a three barreled shotgun but Chippa's website lists its three barreled shotgun at 8.7lbs. I have a 12ga Remington 11-87 that weighs 8.2lbs but it maxed out my postal scale so it is heavier than that. So I am not seeing the weight or feel being an issue but like I said I have never handled one.

Its not just weight but also balance. The thing is the most muzzle heavy gun I think I ever handled. I like some muzzle heavy weight, but this was way too much for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:48 am 
Crown Grade

sovblocgunfan wrote:
They're very heavy,

Yeah, the extra weight was the first thing that came to mind when I saw them. But I'm sure there's plenty of turkey hunters out there who use a 10 gauge won't notice the weight too much I bet. 8)

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:18 am 
Diamond Grade

Listen to sneem. A 9 lb gun that is very well balanced is much more pleasant to shoot than a 7 1/2 lb gun that is very front heavy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:15 am 
Crown Grade

I think the gun would be fun for a 3 bird shoot next to the guys shooting a auto.
Would I own one I don't think so. But it sure it a conversation piece.