CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting from scratch reloading 28 ga???
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:50 pm 
Field Grade

I don't have any hulls and don't want to waste my time starting out in the wrong direction. So what hulls can anyone recommend? Sts,AA,federal gm? I not a novice reloader just to 28ga. I noticed that cb 28ga wads are recommended for straight and tapered hulls. I'm assuming rem and win are tapered like the 12ga are. If I'm wrong let me know.

Post subject: Re: Starting from scratch reloading 28 ga???
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Win AA-HS are the gold standard for the 28-ga reloader. Rem STS will work, but don't last as long. Everything else is a distant third.

Yes, AA-HS and STS are tapered hulls.

The best procedure is to buy a flat or two of Win AA-HS, shoot them and save the hulls.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:47 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

No, the 28 ga AAHS is not a tapered hull.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Burnt Powder wrote:
No, the 28 ga AAHS is not a tapered hull.

BP

I stand corrected. Somehow, I thought you could use the same wad in both AA-HS and STS hulls. I use Red Dusters in both hulls. Was I thinking about the original Win AA hulls being tapered?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sandbagger1 wrote:
I noticed that cb 28ga wads are recommended for straight and tapered hulls.

Depends upon which ONE of the TWO wads Claybuster makes, to substitute for the TWO different wads Winchester utilizes.

The (dark red) Winchester (or Claybuster) wads designed and intended for use in the newer HS hulls can be used in either straight-walled or tapered hulls, in many instances.

On the other hand, the pink wads designed and intended for use in the old (now nearly obsolete and seen with increasingly rarity) compression-formed Winchester 28 ga hulls, are typically suitable only in tapered hulls.

Bottom-line: for the Winchester HS hulls, you want the wads intended for them (dark red)

Best o' success!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Yes, you can and I many times do use the same wad on both hulls. That in no way makes the AAHS hull tapered. The explaination is: The Remington STS 28 ga is not as much a tapered hull as it is a one piece injection moulded hull. Fill an STS with powder and seat a wad and see the profile of the hull at that point.

Nowhere close to the thickness of the old AACF tapered wall hull and not that much different than the wall thickness of the AAHS hull. Like I mentioned a paragraph or so up the STS hull is more a one piece moulded hull than a tapered hull. It's the same thing in all the other gauge RP one piece hulls. The .410 is a two piece straight wall hull.

BP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 pm 
Field Grade

So th AAHS is straight. Dark red wad for that hull. I want to stick with one hull this time. Any powder that you recommend? I have 700x,e3,green dot,promo. I guess the alliant 20/28 speaks for its self. Like I said I don't want to go in the wrong direction. Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alliant 20/28 is a great 28 ga powder. It will handle all you need for target shooting and makes some nice dove and quail loads as well. It teams up well with the Win 209 primer.

As stated already the AAHS hulls are first choice and use the claybuster red wad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you load both 20-ga and 28-ga, you will find that both 20/28 and Universal come well recommended for both. The powders you have are used primarily in 12-ga loads.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:30 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Longshot is a very good powder especially in the AAHS hulls, both 20 and 28 ga.

BP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:56 am 
Crown Grade

Herco is my favorite for 3/4oz. loads.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:06 am 
Crown Grade

I have good quantities of AA-HS and old compression-formed AA 28 ga. hulls. I also have good quantities of both pink Claybuster AA-28 clones and red CB AA-HS"B" clones for use as appropriate.

I just "batch" shells when loading (and shooting) to keep matters simple. It just takes a minor adjustment to the crimping stations (which I have memorized) and I am ready for either hull.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The $2 a box rebate on AA shells is still going on through the end of August, 2013. If you can find somewhere to buy a couple flats, you could save some money.
http://www.winchester.com/library/speci ... otion.aspx
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Once you get past the hull, there are a lot of options, but the best advise here, is to buy a flat of Win AA 28 gauge shells. You will be using the same hull for your initial run, once fired, and your machine can be adjusted and left alone. Go slow and enjoy.

Last edited by railroad on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Buy several flats!

I've got a few flats I've not shot yet mostly because I'm a scrounge. I've liberated several thousands of AAHS, STS, Federal, and Cheddite hulls and still haven't shot more than a flat of the new shells. I've got both the shorties and longer AAHS hulls. I do my best to sort them out but sometimes I miss one or two. I just set them aside and re-crimp them with the other run if they don't hold the shot in good enough for me. Since I load all my 28s on an old Pacific 266 single stage machine It's very easy for me to adjust the crimp stations for a different hull whenever I change hulls. STS, Federal, CFAAs and Cheddites I make no change at all. Changing to AAHS, I change powder bushings since I use Longshot in them and either Universal, Unique, or Herco in the straight wall and STS hulls Another advantage of the single stage machine is I can load many hulls several times more than I could if I were loading on a progressive. I can open the crimp up with my fingers to get the wad in and fold the crimp segments by hand just before the crimp station and still get very good looking crimps, especially with STSs. I'll bet I get at least 2 or 3 more shots out of a hull than if I were loading with a progressive. The STSs stretch after a few shots and then get kind of charred and split. However; you can still get very nice crimps because there is more length to the hull then and they crimp deeper and still look good and hold shot well. Win, win!

Sometimes I think I ought to change over and get a Progressive for 28s but I seem to find plenty of time in the winter loading them on the single stage machine. Like I mentioned to start with, I'm a scrounge and it gives me immense personal satisfaction knowing I'm beating the average by getting several more loads out of my hulls doing it this way. Locally a shrink gets in the $150 and hr. range and I can easily save enough loading on a single stage machine to make that pay!

BP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm still loading CF hulls in the 28, though I do have couple buckets of once-fired HS. Thanks for the tip on using HS wads. My shot charges are 5/8 oz, and as the CF hulls near the end of their lives, their crimps dish more and the hole gets bigger. I guess the interior gets scraped out with every shot. So instead of the candle wax to close up the hole, I'll try HS wads. As for STS hulls, they never seem to dish enough to leak shot. Dunno why.

Dan