CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: AutoMate one button converstion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Republican wrote:
emufriedchicken wrote:
Have sent you an email...!

And two responses sent. I'll work with you over E-mail to help solve your issue.

I have a ATS Automate also, can the solution be made announced once resolved?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

sidious wrote:

Absolutely ! - That was very much my intent. In fact, I'm working with some forum folks here who have the original ATS Automate, some of which have MokeMate Test Sets in route for them to try on their older MEC ATS units.

The issue with the poster from Australia (who I'm working with via E-mail), is that he didn't supply enough information (yet). Plus he doesn't have a genuine MokeMate Test Set (that I know of since I don't remember sending one out to Australia), so he would have attempted to make one up on his own. In which case it's still unclear whether or not his home-made pedal kit has the all-important isolation diodes that the MokeMate Test Set has.

But there's still a lot more information yet to be exchanged (with him and the others that I'm working with who have original ATS Automates), so stayed tuned. It will be a couple of days yet before we get actual test results back from those kind enough to try an actual MokeMate on the older units.

My suspicion is that it (the MokeMate) will work fine. But it still won't change the logic of the machine itself, in that as I understand, on the older units, you just have to press the two buttons once, and it will continue on throughout it's down-stroke on it's own. The only way to change that (as I understand) is to replace the logic IC chip with one with different programing (which is also another project that I'm working on, - developing a replacement ATS chip).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My MokeMate unit arrived this morning, smartly packed with old wad bags as padding -- nice touch Republican!

My actual installation took less time than it took to watch the video on how to do it. Remounted the press and foot pedal worked as advertised -- my buttons tested out perfectly and so pass with flying colors. But being insatiably curious, I decided to test the Moke more thoroughly for at least 100 cycles to test its durability, and since I was cycling the press, there was no sense wasting the effort :D.

Honestly, I expected the Moke foot pedal to be a little faster than the buttons, but not a lot -- the fact is the unit needs to return to top and I was grabbing empty hulls and wads on that upstroke anyway. Interestingly though, the foot pedal frees your eyes up enough to make that step go a lot faster than you might think, in fact you have the next hull and wad ready before the bottom of the stroke, and the new hull and wad are going in immediately after the advance, and actually frees up more time to check on primer feed, powder and shot levels, bar travel, etc at each stroke. Anyway, working at my normal comfortable rate, I loaded up 100 rounds in a little over 12 minutes. If I say 12:30, then that translates to about 475 rounds per hour. Subtracting for primer, shot and powder refills call it a comfortable 400 rounds per hour. With the buttons, I was comfortably managing about 300 to 325/hr with the refills, so the Moke increased my loading efficiency by at least 25% -- which is pretty significant and certainly more than I expected.

Great tool and easily worth twice what I paid for it -- GREAT JOB REPUBLICAN!!!!!

{hs#

I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:32 pm 

JacksBack wrote:

Great tool and easily worth twice what I paid for it -- GREAT JOB REPUBLICAN!!!!!

{hs#

Then send him a check for the rest of what you think that it is worth! Don't get tight now! :mrgreen:

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Republican wrote:
skeetshooter83617 wrote:
Did you convert a Mec Auto Mate or the original Auto Mate. With a foot pedal can you still stop the down stroke?

The MEC Automate, - I can stop the down stroke, and resume.

I'm also experimenting with developing a near-fully automatic setup (involving an Arduino controller) that would control the dwell time, and which also monitors motor current in hopes of detecting a hull crunch, jamb, failed primer drop & land etc. Stay tunes for that.

Raspberry Pi should do the trick.
My Son is really happy with it, it's amazing what can be done with them and a Fist full of Dollars...!! :wink:

Should be very interesting to see the finished product.

Don2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Curly-Nohair wrote:

Then send him a check for the rest of what you think that it is worth! Don't get tight now! :mrgreen:

You might be surprised to learn I did actually send him a follow-up additional payment...

I like K guns

~~ "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence." ~~

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 pm 

JacksBack wrote:
Curly-Nohair wrote:

You might be surprised to learn I did actually send him a follow-up additional payment...

Not surprised and I commend you!

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 am 
Crown Grade

Don2 wrote:

Ha!, - in your dreams, Don...

While the R.P. looks all novel and all, I'm here to tell you I am 200% completely sold on the Arduino system. I've been doing this stuff for a long long time (even before the advent of the Z80, and the 8080), and I've seen a lot of this stuff come and go. Did the Z80 Sinclair thing, the 8080 stuff, walked the PIC chip plank, the Atmel stuff for the DSS card stuff, the basic stamp, the Rabbit controller, the PC104 stuff, the Linksys thing, but in the end, the Arduino folks pulled it all together. That is, if you know ANSI C/C++.

I sorta already knew that the Italians really had a handle on shotguns, and especially wad design and manufacturing (the whole Gualandi thing), but I would have never thunkith that something like the Arduino would have come out of Italy...

You can develop and come to market via the Arduino system much faster than I ever though humanly possible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 am 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
My MokeMate unit arrived this morning, smartly packed with old wad bags as padding -- nice touch Republican!

My actual installation took less time than it took to watch the video on how to do it. Remounted the press and foot pedal worked as advertised -- my buttons tested out perfectly and so pass with flying colors. But being insatiably curious, I decided to test the Moke more thoroughly for at least 100 cycles to test its durability, and since I was cycling the press, there was no sense wasting the effort :D.

Honestly, I expected the Moke foot pedal to be a little faster than the buttons, but not a lot -- the fact is the unit needs to return to top and I was grabbing empty hulls and wads on that upstroke anyway. Interestingly though, the foot pedal frees your eyes up enough to make that step go a lot faster than you might think, in fact you have the next hull and wad ready before the bottom of the stroke, and the new hull and wad are going in immediately after the advance, and actually frees up more time to check on primer feed, powder and shot levels, bar travel, etc at each stroke. Anyway, working at my normal comfortable rate, I loaded up 100 rounds in a little over 12 minutes. If I say 12:30, then that translates to about 475 rounds per hour. Subtracting for primer, shot and powder refills call it a comfortable 400 rounds per hour. With the buttons, I was comfortably managing about 300 to 325/hr with the refills, so the Moke increased my loading efficiency by at least 25% -- which is pretty significant and certainly more than I expected.

{hs#

Jack, - good deal on your MokeMate. I can't believe that you got it so fast. And thanks for your extra bit of gratitude, - it sure helps. If I knew in the beginning what it takes to make one of these up, I surely would have charged more. As it stands, I'm actually losing a bit of money, and it takes a little over an hour start to finish to make one of these up, and there was more than one 2AM night out in the shop this week building them. But I promised you guys the pricing (before I actually starting making them up), and I didn't have the heart to renege on that. So thanks again for recognizing the value of what you got.

The upshot is, you got the best of the best component-wise. The actual foot pedal has a 5-year warranty, and the other stuff is all top-name brand stuff. Nothing but the best. Also, hang on to them wad bags, - as I recall, they were original Green duster bags, - something that will be a collectors item. ;)

But after this batch is done, I'll probably be changing the design to make it much easier to manufacture. A certain "you know who" got me looking into that idea of a 1/4 phone jack and socket idea, and that really is the way to go. But it does require the user to drill a small hole in the back side of the sheet metal circuit board cover, so I'm curious how well this will be received. The location that I've chosen is so inconspicuous, that you'd never see it. It would pretty much completely eliminate the whole pigtail part (which is a huge part of the assembly time). This way I could keep cost low, and pass that on to the folks.

And the more that you test your buttons, the faster things will go, - you wait and see. It takes a bit of time to un-program the muscle memory that had you pressing the buttons for all that time. Just think of the wear and tear you are saving on the buttons themselves testing them this way. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can't stop.........

Reloading! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife came out to the garage last night and asked what I was doing. I said reloading. She said I can see that, but why are you giggling like a little school girl while you do it? I said it's because of this cool new foot pedal I got. She just shook her head and closed the door mumbling something about her sewing machine for years...

I like K guns

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:30 am 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
She just shook her head and closed the door mumbling something about her sewing machine for years...

Now that's funny right there ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, my peddle came yesterday but I got busy and didn’t get to install it until this afternoon. It went in easily and worked the first time I tried it. I buttoned up the Automate and tested my buttons about 100 times making 4 boxes of shells and the peddle worked great. My only beef is I didn’t get all the parts promised. Where is my “Don’t Do Anything Stupid” sticker? I was looking forward to putting this on my Automate. LOL
Steve, thanks for making the “Test” peddle, I love it.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

sidious wrote:

I'm still working with friedchicken dude in Australia to work out his issue on his home-made unit. It appears that he may have found his problem, - just waiting for final confirmation. His home-made unit is pretty much identical to mine.

In the mean time, I did get confirmation back from a new MokeMate owner that the MokeMate does indeed work on one (of the two?) older ATS units. However, there are some differences that will need to be incorporated into the instructions somehow.

1. The numbering on R2 & R3 is reversed between the old and new units.
But that's Ok, as you still physically hook up the little test clips the same.

On the newer units, what is marked "R3" is actually "R2" on the older ATS unit:

Same with R2 on the newer units, - it's "R3" on the older ATS units:

2. The most significant change is where you put the MokeMate black wire. Instead of sneaking it under the first inner-most terminal position on the terminal strip, - you skip the first one (since it has a chassis ground wire in there), and sneak it under the 2nd terminal position (along with the inner-most red sensor wire) as shown below:

Same precaution exists: crank down on the screw that you loosened, and be SURE to tug on the existing sensor wire that you sneaked the new black MokeMate wire under to test it. The semi-pre-tinned MokeMate black wire is bigger in diameter, and it's possible to trap the inner terminal edge on the larger wire, and not have enough crunch force on the smaller existing (red) sensor wire which can result in an over-travel condition which will blow a fuse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Republican wrote:
Don2 wrote:

Ha!, - in your dreams, Don...

While the R.P. looks all novel and all, I'm here to tell you I am 200% completely sold on the Arduino system. I've been doing this stuff for a long long time (even before the advent of the Z80, and the 8080), and I've seen a lot of this stuff come and go. Did the Z80 Sinclair thing, the 8080 stuff, walked the PIC chip plank, the Atmel stuff for the DSS card stuff, the basic stamp, the Rabbit controller, the PC104 stuff, the Linksys thing, but in the end, the Arduino folks pulled it all together. That is, if you know ANSI C/C++.

I sorta already knew that the Italians really had a handle on shotguns, and especially wad design and manufacturing (the whole Gualandi thing), but I would have never thunkith that something like the Arduino would have come out of Italy...

You can develop and come to market via the Arduino system much faster than I ever though humanly possible.

Well, you are light years ahead of me.
I just dabble in that kinda stuff. I DO remember the Z80, I had a Timex Sinclair, think it had 2k ram???... took me hours to write a program to make a ball bounce across the screen. Then got a C64, started buliding 8088's then 286's with a math Co-processor (wooooo), that was heaven back then to me...

My Son is the one who deals in the Arduino and the others.
To be honest, I never built one, just listened to what he said.
Could have totally misunderstood.
I do that every now and then.

It's a fun hobby too.

The Italians have a lot of fine products.
They are heavy into roll crimp shotshells..!!! Seems like all their loaders only roll crimp. Works for them.

Don2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 pm 
Crown Grade

"Timex" Sinclair, - yeah, that's what it was (forgot the maker of that evil black thing).

And the Commodore C64/C128, geeze, how ever did I leave that out ?? As an avid Ham Radio guy, I lived by that thing. Made money copying Atari 2600 games and selling the EPROMS to buy C64 'stuff' back in the day.

But good thing I learned C/C++ in the end I guess...

The trouble with all that stuff was that there's really no "cross over". All those things needed to be either a full-on computer (PC, MAC, UNIX box etc.), or an ultra fast/cheap and flexible micro controller that is easy to program to where you can actually DO stuff (like control hardware, read input, interface to other systems etc.). This is where Ardunio shines.

There's really no market (or much use) for anything that's in between (at least in my view). I see the R.P. as more of an educational thing, - not some little embedded controller that you can mass produce and market as a product.

For example, I cobbled the code together for this Arduino-based solution in just one weekend while laying on the couch with a MAC laptop on my chest and the football game on. Another project that I'm working on for the club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh49A2263I4

In just a few milliseconds, this thing scans 20 push buttons 10,000 times each, then attempts to determine what combinations of buttons were pushed, and within what time frame.

The street price for that controller is $17.75, and has 54 digital I/O lines, 16 analog inputs, plus PWM, RS-232 serial, and USB serial. Simple projects like this one used to take me weeks on end to prototype with the PIC chip. Fricking amazing...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:46 am 
Field Grade

I like others who have received their MokeMake and commented here, the unit is very easy to install and works perfectly.
I bought the Automate so I wouldn't have to pull the handle any more.
I bought the MokeMake so I wouldn't have to push the buttons any more.
I need a contraption to place the hull and wad in the machine and then I will have reached the pinnacle of laziness! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Steve,

The MokeMate came yesterday, I installed it today with absolutely no issues. I think it took longer to watch the install video on you tube. Worked like a dream! Loaded 100 shells as a test; fastest 100 I have ever done. Great kit! Thanks again.

NRA Life Member
ANJRPC Member (http://anjrpc.org)

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:23 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks Chris, - I'm glad your MokeMate worked out well for you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

installed my MokeMate on Thursday works great thank you very much :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:45 pm 
Crown Grade

siralfred wrote:
installed my MokeMate on Thursday works great thank you very much :)

Alright, - thanks for the feedback!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next