CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I-500 rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:35 am 
Utility Grade

I have me some bird dogs and I do a bit of training with them. I tend to be a bit rough with the guns in training and didn't want to use my nicer pieces. I wanted to find a gun that was a bit rough and do a bit of a refurb on it.
I needed a well made O/U or SXS that had a rough life that could be had on the cheap.
I searched and came up with this gem for under $500. Seems it's biggest issue was just a lack of maintenance.

Post subject: Re: I-500 rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:41 am 
Utility Grade

First off the thing was filthy, the wood was very rough and it had rust starting all over.
if you look closely you will see that the barrels were not locking up all the way, as the locking bolt is standing proud. It fell at some point and mashed the checkering on the left panels and actually took a chunk out of the forearm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 am 
Utility Grade

The first order of business is to tear it down and see what needs what?
I know for a fact that the wood has issues and will either needd to be restored or replaced.
Since this is a budget project, it will just be strip, clean and refinish.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:55 am 
Utility Grade

As you can see I also began fitting a Kick-Eez pad. I use and reccommend them highly.
After a good sanding to remove any issues, the wood gets some Watco dark Walnut Danish oil.

I started prepping all the metal for Cerakote.
The entry level Ithaca /SKB guns were not blued. They were coated at the factory with something very much like Cerakote. The barrels had a black chrome type finish. It was all stripped.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:01 am 
Utility Grade

After using Cerakote several times, I have learned it is sometimes easier to partially assemble the gun to spray it. I assembled the reciever, barrels and locking bolt and sprayed them as a unit. Other incidentals such as the forearm iron, toplever and trigger gaurd were sprayed seperately and then baked for about 5 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:06 am 
Utility Grade

The Cerakote colors I used was Burnt Bronze with a bit of Graphite Black to darken it.
It's a bit different but I really like it, seems to contrast nicely with the wood.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:09 am 
Utility Grade

I proceeded to put the guts back in th reciever. The biggest issue I found was it was just filthy. A few of the critical parts did get smoothed out or re sharpened on a stone. Mostly it was just in need of a good scrubbing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:15 am 
Utility Grade

One of the things I really appreciate on the SKB guns is the simplicity of the design. It went together without any real issues. The biggest being the build up of finish in the mating areas. A little sanding or scraping took care of that quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:35 am 
Utility Grade

Nice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:11 am 
Presentation Grade

Looks like a nice job. Guns that have not been taken care of are fun to pick up and bring them back to life. It should make you a fine training gun... Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:01 am 
Utility Grade

I have several sites where I look for guns now. Most have a way to save specific search words.
my search terms are
worn
broken
busted
rust
pretty bad when you go looking for other peoples junk