CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Proper way to shoulder a shotgun??
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:17 am 
Field Grade

This is probably pretty basic, but I have a new Franchi Alcione OU and I seem to shoot better when I position the butt of the shotgun high on my shoulder. So in essence, I have about the lower 1/3 of the buttstock touching my shoulder.

I'm not having any adverse effects from doing that as far as sore shoulder, but I'm wondering if this is normal? If I don't put it up high, I'm shooting over the top of the clays. My Browning BPS isn't like that.

Does anyone else have that issue? By the way, I'm about average size, at 5'9".

Post subject: Re: Proper way to shoulder a shotgun??
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It sounds like you need a gun with more drop at the heel and toe but still need a high comb. A Monte Carlo type stock would probably fit you well. Or, many people just add an adjustable buttplate which can be lowered on the end of the stock. This will keep the comb relatively high while at the same time lowering the recoil pad for better (fuller) contact with your shoulder.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:51 pm 
Field Grade

I was checking out the comb height on my BPS vs the Franchi and it's about 1/2 inch higher than the Franchi. I may have to install the adjustable butt plate. I see quite a few guys with those. Now I know why.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

According to the Franchi cataloge, the drop at the comb and heel are 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" respectfully. This seems to be close to what the other gun companies are using. You need to get some instruction from a knowligable instructor to see how you are shouldering the gun and from there you can see about changes to the stock. V/R TonyG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but when shouldering the gun, I'm putting it in that little pocket between my shoulder, (front deltoid) and pectoral muscle. Is that the right spot, or should it be more on the pectoral muscle?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:58 pm 
Whatever works best is the best way to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They told me to but the stock where "my bra strap would go".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I have exactly the same problem with a alcione T. that I just bought, the only way I can get a level sight plane looking down the barrell is to shoulder only about the bottem 1/3 of the stock , if I pull it up quickly and just shoot, I always shooting above everything, I bought an adjustable pad for it but haven't put it on yet because I don't think I will adjust far enough to fix the problem, I have a Benelli Sport II that shoulders just perfect, it truely just shoots where you look, I bought the Franchi I guess to please the people at the skeet range who don't like the auto's, but at this point I wish I hadn't, IMO it isn't near the gun the Benelli is and I really can't see where it's that different, this is one time when you can have one gun too many.