CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choke tube installed backwards and stuck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:17 am 
Utility Grade

I let my friend borrow my shotgun to do a little rabbit hunting. I sent him off into the brush and he came back with this.....

So the barrel has a slight bulge to it and it is really stuck in there. No chance for a hand turn and a choke tool wont work since its on backwards. Ive soaked it in pbblaster and tried to get some movement with a pair of pliers but no go.

I would prefer to get this taken care of myself but im thinking ill have to take it into a gunsmith. Do you think it will need to be cut and rethreaded?

Looking for any advice. My next step might be to drill a hole through the choke tube, put a metal bar through the hole and try and crank it that way for more leverage.

Post subject: Re: Choke tube installed backwards and stuck
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Welcome to the forum, sure looks like your friend knows nothing about a shotgun. The choke may be flared inside the barrel. I would try a little heat on the barrel and maybe it will expand enough to let the choke be removed. Other than that I'm not sure what can be done, not sure if a smith can make it happen either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That brings a new meaning to the term "extended choke." Looks to me like your "friend" owes you a barrel. Let's see what kind of "friend" he really is!

This the reason I don't lend guns to people UNLESS they will be shooting alongside me where I can watch their every move.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Barrel (or at least the threaded section) is TOAST. Cut the threaded section off and rethread if there is enough room, or use as cylinder bore if not, or toss the whole thing in the trash and buy a new one. It will not be salvageable.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:13 am 
Diamond Grade

If the tube was turned in by hand and the gun was not fired while in this condition then I'd first try a pipe wrench on the tube to back it out. Make sure you have the tube all the way back in the throat of the pipe wrench though before trying to turn it, this will make a three point contact between the wrench and the tube and will help the tube to not go totally egg shaped while you're putting a lot of torque on it. If it turns out then go from there to see if the threads can be chased or not. At this point I don't think you have anything to lose in trying.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:16 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the welcome. I wish I signed up for a better reason though :roll:

So everyone thinks the threads and barrel are shot? I keep telling myself there is hope but should I just give up on it? It pisses me off since its a new gun too. Ive only had it for a few months and it barely has seen any action.

Its a tristar tec-12 so I guess I will have to call them in the morning to see how much a new barrel will cost.

I try not to blame my friend so much. It is a stupid mistake but its also a stupid mistake to have let him go out with it in the first place. Lesson learned.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:18 am 
Tournament Grade

And you let this guy out on his own with a shotgun!? Only in America (well probably not actually, only joking....please don't take offence).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 am 
Utility Grade

DavidM100 wrote:
And you let this guy out on his own with a shotgun!? Only in America (well probably not actually, only joking....please don't take offence).

We were out together but he was off just a ways. We had been out target shooting quite a few times before. Its what I get for taking out my Vegas "nightlife industry" friends.

I think its time for some new friends who have a clue...

Should I even bother picking up a pipe wrench and working at it a bit more?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The bulge in the barrel can plainly be seen in the pick. It will never be safe to fire again, and the liability if it fails and injures someone will be a LOT more than the cost of a new barrel. Cut and rethread if you can, chuck in the trash and buy new if you can't.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:31 am 
Utility Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
The bulge in the barrel can plainly be seen in the pick. It will never be safe to fire again, and the liability if it fails and injures someone will be a LOT more than the cost of a new barrel. Cut and rethread if you can, chuck in the trash and buy new if you can't.

That is sad :-( I never had a barrel cut and rethreaded. Any idea on what cost ill be looking at for that? All the shops around me are extremely overpriced as most are tourist traps. There has to be someone local.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:48 am 
Diamond Grade

Whether or not it can be cut and re-threaded will depend on several points, the first being is the barrel long enough to cut it down and still have the required 18" of length? If its long enough then its a matter of is the wall thickness good enough for a new set of threads and the bore for the rest of the tube to be cut in? Also on this gun the sight will have to be removed and reset.

Mike Orlen on the Gunsmithing thread has a price list for cutting and choking barrels, you can check there for a ballpark price.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:03 am 
Crown Grade

shotgunnut wrote:
If the tube was turned in by hand and the gun was not fired while in this condition then I'd first try a pipe wrench on the tube to back it out. Make sure you have the tube all the way back in the throat of the pipe wrench though before trying to turn it, this will make a three point contact between the wrench and the tube and will help the tube to not go totally egg shaped while you're putting a lot of torque on it. If it turns out then go from there to see if the threads can be chased or not. At this point I don't think you have anything to lose in trying.

Jeff

Try fitting s tight wooden dowel down the inside first to prevent the egg-shaping scenario.

Might also try freezing things if using a heat gun (NOT a torch) doesn't work

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 am 
Utility Grade

I will absolutely give that a try! I am not sure if it will work as it has been fired (once) in this configuration.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:01 am 
Crown Grade

It is cross threaded and bulged. You can heat and freeze it until HELL freezes over and it won't matter. Use a pipe wrench or take it to a smith and pay him to use a pipe wrench. At least he can give you a live opinion based on measurements and actual condition.

He's not much of a friend if he doesn't replace it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:43 am 
Crown Grade

The gun needs a new barrel and a new choke tube replacement for the tube which is also ruined in the process.

The guy owes you these.........

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:12 am 
Diamond Grade

OldSkeeter wrote:
That brings a new meaning to the term "extended choke." Looks to me like your "friend" owes you a barrel. Let's see what kind of "friend" he really is!

This the reason I don't lend guns to people UNLESS they will be shooting alongside me where I can watch their every move.

A real Big Plus on that. He owes you a new barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Take it to a gunsmith so he can look at it person and give you an informed opinion. Maybe the barrel had that shape due to the choke installation, I don't know and I sure can't tell much from that picture. Don't even know what kind of gun it is and everyone is sure they know everything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

here's a tip. There is a good chance his homeowner's policy will cover the cost of a new barrel. All policies provide coverage for bodily injury and property damage. It will be covered under the clause for property damage. Let him know and get the process started...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:40 am 
Field Grade

If that bulge on the end of the barrel isn't normal for a Tri-Star TEC-12 it's time for a new one. If it is normal, use some heat (heat gun or at least a blow dryer) and penetrating oil. Concentrate the heat on the barrel. The choke is toast if you have tried using pliers on it. A gunsmith can get it out by simply boring out the inside diameter of the choke tube until it's so thin that it can be collapsed and removed. And when it's removed there is no telling what damage has been done to the barrel's threads. You will have to do the math on whether or not a gunsmith is cheaper than a new barrel. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:44 am 
Crown Grade

Mike Orlen is where I'd go to see about re-threading the bbl. I doubt though that it will be cost effective as compared to a replacement bbl if available. I looked up the owners manual on the tri-star website - there is a parts list and a phone number.

The bulge indicates the tube has likely been jammed forward and is now effectively cross-threaded. The tube will probably have to be machined out on a lathe. The front sight block would have to be removed. Then the bbl shortened to beyond the bulge, and then re-machine and thread for the chokes (assuming the tooling for threading for that choke is available). Then remount the front sight block.

One of Many