It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 101 Diamond Grade
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Didn't know whether to put this post here or under "ID & Value" but I decided to go with the users' forum rather than the collectors' one.

I'm in the process of buying a Winchester 101, 4 bbl skeet set with 27 1/2" bbls, coined and engraved rcvr, slot porting on the 12 and 20 ga bbls and original case. Although the stock has a few dings on it and one small rub, the rest of the gun is in very good shape--top lever to the right, clean, unmarked interior surfaces.

I intend to use it as my personal skeet shotgun but, if I dont like it, I'd like to be able to sell it without taking too much of a loss. I realize that most new skeet guns these days have longer bbls but these are only 1/2" shorter than 28 inchers. Also, I know that most skeet shooters are going to full length small gauge tubes rather than separate bbl sets.

My question is: Is this still a viable, serviceable skeet gun?

Do they hold up fairly well as far as durability is concerned?

As for resale, is this a gun that will still sell fairly easily or is it sort of a clunker that sits on a dealer's shelf?

Any information any of you can provide will be very much appreciated.

DBL

Post subject: Re: Model 101 Diamond Grade
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:42 am 
You didn't mention the price, so I couldn't say whether or not you would be able to get your money out of it somewhere down the road.

I can say that it would be a hard gun to resell, as most skeet shooters stopped shooting four bbl sets years ago. Most are shooting tubed guns and many have gone to 30" bbls. Those very few shooters who do want a 4 bbl set would judge them as Krieghoffs and Perazzis being their first choices, then Remington 3200s, then Belgium Brownings, followed by japanese Brownings. The Winchester 101 variations follow all of these in popularity, reliability and resale. Now, for all these reasons you may be able to buy the gun at a very good price, but you should view it as a white elephant that you might own for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:54 am 
Limited Edition

If you are a casual shooter and the price is right, this could be a sleeper. If you are a serious registered bird shooter, this is probably not the first choice. I have a friend who is a collector of Win 101's pm me if you pass on this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rosiesdad wrote:
If you are a serious registered bird shooter, this is probably not the first choice.

Why not?

Because a 101 by itself doesn't cost five or ten thousand dollars and isn't made in Italy, Germany or Belgium?

Not everyone can afford -- or wants to blow the money on -- a rich man's toy that won't break any more targets than a Winchester 101 in the hands of a competent shooter.

The Winchester 101 is one of the finest shotguns ever made -- competition or otherwise.

It's also one of the most undervalued fine shotguns these days.

Asking prices for Diamond Grade 101 three- or four-barrel sets currently offered on the Guns America Classifieds are around $4,000 -- and up, dependent on condition.

Go there and put Winchester 101 in the search engine and you'll come up with two pages of current offerings.

The following values are from The Blue Book of Gun Values, 25th Edition (the latest):

Winchester Diamond Grade Four-Gauge Skeet Set
- includes 12, 20, 28 ga., and .410 bore 27 1/2 in. separated barrel assemblies, cased. Imported 1985-87 only

100% - $4,850
98% - $4,025
95% - $3,650
90% - $3,200
80% - $2,800
70% - $2,500
60% - $2,150

But I do agree that most shooters currently prefer the tubes. It's a PITA to haul around a set of full barrels.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:23 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

No, No, NO!! You couldn't possibly break a Skeet target with a shotgun with 4 barrels!! That's why I passed on a used Browning 4 barrel set a year ago. It was in nice shape with a bit of blue worn off the trigger guard and bottom of the action. I would have been a FOOL to give $1750 for that set, and in a hard case too!! Or maybe I was the FOOL for NOT buying it?? I forget which :?, but Fool I was! I shoot Skeet with folks who shoot all kinds of guns, some with tubes, some with multi barrel sets, some Winchesters, Some Remingtons, K-guns, you name it. Some folks seem to shoot whatever they have pretty well, and others can't shoot anything very well! Doesn't seem to make much difference what they shoot, the good shooters usually always win and the poor shooters don't. I suspect if your goal was to become one of the top shooters in the World next year you would be better served getting something else. If you want to shot well enough to not be embarrased at the "club" championship, the 101 will serve you well. AND you can show off your pretty shotgun at the same time. Get your money back out of it?? I doubt it! Why do you think so many of them are listed on GunBroker and Auction Arms?? Nobody wants to give that high price for a 4 barrel set anymore! If you like them and you can afford the price buy it. If you are considering using them and trying to resell them without taking a "hit" if they don't work out. Don't buy it. I guess that's maybe why I didn't buy the Browning a year ago? Even though it WAS cheap enough!

BP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

The seller is firm on a price of $2800, which I find pretty low compared with the Blue Book, GunsAmerica and the auctions online. So my gut feeling is that I probably wont lose a lot of money and may even make a few $$ on resale.

But why have tubes overtaken 4-bbl sets in popularity with skeet shooters? Is it simply convenience of not having to lug around all those heavier barrels?

I shoot skeet just for fun and as practice for wingshooting. As much as I'd like to shoot the smaller gauges, right now I'm limited to 12 and 20 gauges simply because I dont own a 410 or 28 ga gun. I typically use different guns on every trip to the skeet field. So this would be an opportunity to add a bit more challenge/fun to the game. But it's all informal and fun. And definitely not registered skeet.

My feeling is that I could use the gun for a few years, not beat it up too much in the process and sell it when I chose to and not take too much of a bath on the resale. What do you guys think?

Dbl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

BP,
Your post evidently came in while I was typing mine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

ADBLBEER'LLDO,

The reason that most use sub-gauge tube sets is sight picture.
You have the same sight picture when mounting the gun.

There is a big difference in the 12ga and 410 bore sight picture.
It dosen't bother some people.

$2800 is a very good price on a Diamond 101 4 bbl set.
I still have the first 101 that I ever owned.(12ga only)Diamond grade,high post rib w/ extended Winchokes. :D :D

Shotgun Red

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ADBLBEER'LLDO wrote:
But why have tubes overtaken 4-bbl sets in popularity with skeet shooters? Is it simply convenience of not having to lug around all those heavier barrels?

Convenience is a major reason, but an even better reason is that for about $1,600 (Briley Ultimate Ultralites) you can add 20, 28 and .410 bore to your 12 gauge and it all fits into one relatively small and light case.

And Some people think the tubes shoot better patterns than a normal barrel and choke.

But if I were you and that four-barrel set is in 90% or better condition I'd buy it so fast the guy wouldn't have time for any second thoughts on selling it.

You'll never lose a dime on that set and will likely make a few bucks.

PM me with the details if you opt out of the deal.

I'll buy them in a heartbeat -- even though I already have a 101 with Briley tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:01 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Well, yes, for $2800, not the $3900 to $4800 I've seen asked, go for it!! When I passed on the Browning set, I already had a 12, 20, and 28 ga I do regularly use for Skeet. If I had not already had those I probably would have bought them, probably should have anyway. For a Diamond set, 4 barrels, $2800? What do you have to loose?? You won't want to sell them after you get them anyway!

BP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Based on what you guys have said here, I went ahead and finalized the deal on the gun--well, put a 20% deposit on a layaway. I should have mentioned the asking price right from the beginning in my first post.

This time I took the time to examine each set of bbls. And other than the few small stock dings, there's virtually nothing wrong with the gun. The 12 and 20 monoblocks have a little scoring on the machine jeweling as expected but the small ga bbls are almost "virginal". And the wood is super--much better than I remembered.

And, you're right, BP--I probably will hold on to it and use it as my skeet gun. But I feel a lot better now knowing that I can at least get my money back if I have to.

I dont want to sound mushy here but all of you guys really helped me out on this one. So I'm being entirely sincere when I say thanks very, very much. I hope I can repay the favor someday.

DBL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

On behalf of everyone "Dats what we are here for." :D :D

Shotgun Red

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:05 am 
Utility Grade

Hello all,
I am new to the forum and found a discussion on the Winchester 101, Diamond Grade 4 barrel set that was offered in the mid 80's.
I have an offer to purchase a set, which I was told is choked for Skeet shooting, with the Winchester hard case. The gun appears to be in, a fairly stated, 90% plus state. The smaller gage barrels don't even appear to have been shot. The 12 ga barrel looks to have only been shot a handful of times. The 90% assessment is probably low but I hate to be the guy who buys something and over pays and it really looks to be extremely lightly used and well cared for. . The offered deal is $2,900. I was told it was a take me home price. I have seen them sold for more and in less of a condition.
Questions,,,, Having read through this thread and the thread being almost 14 years old,,,
1. Is this still a desirable gun considering the condition and price?
2. for the price, is it something I could try and hopefully get my money back for if I don't decide to keep skeet shooting?
3. Any other thoughts?
I have read that times have changed on what competition shooters may want to use, but I am a novice and don't really want to be in the sport for more than the $3,ooo'ish price and I love to shoot and I love cool, classic firearms.
Having said all that,,,, what is the general opinion on a purchase like this?
Thank you in advance for any and all assistance!