CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C-Lect Choke question - 20 guage New Haven (500?) Mossberg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:03 pm 
I was recently given a 25-30 year old "new" 20 gauge; a New Haven by Mossberg with a C-Lect choke, believe it is a 26” barrel. I’m not sure about the New Haven designation, it looks like a 500 to me. Basically is factory new, I’d guess less than 20 boxes of shells through it.

I’m not familiar with the C-Lect choke, and found that it was screwed down past the full choke mark. I backed it off to the improved, and a lot of stuff between the prongs of the choke head began to fall out into the barrel. I took the choke all the way off and found a layer of hard thick crud in the prongs and around the outside of the head. After cleaning that crud off and putting the choke back on, it seems way too loose. It turns with very little effort, I can’t imagine that it will stay set when shooting.

I had assumed that crud was fouling, but am now wondering if it was some sort of old gasket that is supposed to be there to keep the head tight? If it’s not a gasket, any suggestions on how to make it tighter so it will stay on the choke marks? I imagine it’s been tightened all the way down past full for many years, and thought about just spreading the prongs a bit to see if that would do it. But wanted to see if anyone was familiar with it before messing it up. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Post subject: Re: C-Lect Choke question - 20 guage New Haven (500?) Mossbe
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just going from memory, I don't recall a gasket in there. Try putting some thick grease in there. Then screw it all the way down tight and shoot it. Then you should be able to back it off about 6 or 7 different "clicks" if I remember correctly.

Perhaps someone who has one will post on here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:50 pm 
Limited Edition

oh yes the c-lect choke(poly choke)---yes ,i have one.some people like them ,some don't,I do not--it does not shoot a tight enough pattern for me.but for shooting objects where you would use mod.or improved ---i would say it is a good choke.what i would try is shooting the gun a few times ,possibly even holding near a fire .the purpose of this is to get the metal to expand,try taking it from a freezer to extreme heat and back and forth,shooting it rapidly a lot of times should do it. if not unscrew the choke then on the threads apply some white teflon tape(you can get this a any hardware store in the plumbing supplies),after you put tape on it ,but the choke head back on,now it should be tighter :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:08 pm 
Thanks, so it's not a gasket, just fouling. I'll go with the tape idea or locktite the threads to get it snugged back up again.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:41 pm 
Field Grade

Very helpful post :D . I too have a New Haven 600 AT with a c lect choke but mine is a 12 ga. I have been trying find out if the 500 has interchangeable parts. I just emailed Mossberg about some history and parts. If I get any information I'll pass it along.

By the way, my c lect choke is very tight and it easily stays at the various locations listed on the choke. So the tape idea will work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:43 pm 
yes ,the 600at and the 500 are interchangable----pretty much the same gun,you should find all the parts to be the same.the 600at has not been made in a few years though

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:52 pm 
Limited Edition

that wasa me above---this site does not like to keep me logged on--prolly cause of my great dial up service :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, I have several of those old C-Lect chokes. I see your original post was quite some time ago, so I hope you've got the problem behind you by now! LOL In any event, I had similar situations and an old-timer gave me some advise as to how to "open" the choke back up so there was enough tension on the sleeve to keep it at the setting of your choosing and not have it come loose during shooting. He suggested shooting several rifled slugs thru it with the sleeve off. I did and noticed enough of an improvement to make me happy. If that doesn't work for one, there are wooden expanders (they look like a pointed ice cream cone) some people use with a lot of caution. I've never used one. I'm told if the user is not careful, the choke can be opened unevenly and the resulting patterns will be a nightmare. C-Lect chokes are making a come-back I'm told in the form of poly-Chokes. Check out their website www.poly-choke.com, you'll see. They can even be purchased in Cabelas now!

President, Onesquethaw Fish & Game Club, Inc. Open Trap every Thursday 6:00PM