It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun Law in Denmark
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:12 pm 
Field Grade

I've just been asked about which kind of guns and ammunition we are permitted to own in Denmark. So here is a brief rundown of our gun laws.

You can buy a shotgun if you've passed your hunting test (both theory and a practical test on clays), or if you are a member of a clay shooting club. These must be registered with the police. Pumps and semi autos must be restricted to two shots (one in the chamber, one in the magazine) to be legal for hunting.

As of 2014 new hunters will have to pass a shooting test before being allowed to hunt with their shotguns (sorry I don't know the details as yet).

Lead shot was banned here in 1996, so only steel and other non-toxic types of shot are permitted in shotgun cartridges.

Hunters can buy repeating rifles rifles too, but they've got to pass a rifle shooting test (five out of six shots within the 20cm 'kill zone' of a roe deer target at 100 metres) before they can hunt with them.

See here for a video on how the rifle test for hunters is run (in Danish): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTE9KCilfII

Hunters may also use semi-autos rifles, but their magazines must be restricted to two shot capacity, and permanently attached to the weapon if they are to be used for hunting in Denmark. There is no restriction as to capacity for weapons used for hunting abroad, but it can be difficult to obtain permits for these (even though there is no legal reason for the police to refuse to grant a permit).

It has recently (October 2013) been announced that it sound moderators will be permitted, but I don't know the specifics yet.

Members of rifle clubs can of course also purchase rifles, but which models and calibres are dependent on which shooting association and which discipline the rifle is to be used for.

If you want to shoot pistols you have to join a pistol club and shoot with club weapons for two years before you can apply for permission to buy your own. Though you may buy one through the club beforehand, and store it at the club if the club foreman agrees. Until this year there was a restriction on calibres over 9mm (except for black powder weapons), but this has now been relaxed slightly permitting .40S&W, .45 ACP, .45LC, and .44 Special.

All firearms apart from air weapons of .177 calibre or under are subject to registration (this is free for airguns and shotguns).

Rifle permits cost 840kr (about 135 USD) for the first gun, and 420 for each additional rifle.

You can also obtain your permit through a shooting club, in which case they cost 200kr per gun. Obtaining these permits, can however, take anything from 14 days to over a year, often with no clear reason as to why they are delayed.

If you want to reload you will need to take a (one day) course and obtain a reloading permit.

Original (not reproduction) breechloading weapons with a model or manufacture date before 1892 can be held on a collectors permit, but no ammunition may be held for any weapons held as collectors items. There is no limit on the number of weapons which can be held on a collectors permit. Unlike normal rifle permits where you have a permit for each rifle.

Original muzzle loaders (pre-1870) can be held without restriction, but modern copies require a licence (through a black powder shooting club).

Air weapons of .177 calibre are at present free of restriction for those over 18.

CO2 weapons, which are not Paintball or airsoft weapons require a licence.

I think that about covers the basics, but I may have missed one or two things.

Despite all the bureaucracy and expense, there are actually quite a lot of people in Denmark who shoot, either as hunters, sport shooters, or both.

Post subject: Re: Gun Law in Denmark
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the post.
It was very informative. I'm always curious as to what is going on in other countries as far a guns are concerned as it could be a barometer for what may be heading our way in the states.

Post subject: Re: Gun Law in Denmark
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:24 am 
Field Grade

decoyin deano wrote:
Thanks for the post.
It was very informative. I'm always curious as to what is going on in other countries as far a guns are concerned as it could be a barometer for what may be heading our way in the states.

I hope you can avoid any further restrictions in the future, but I think it may be an uphill battle.

Luckily you have the NRA who seem to fight for the rights of all shooters and gun owners, so hopefully you won't end up in the same boat as us.