It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best place for pheasants not far from Md shore?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:14 pm 
Limited Edition

Would really like to do a walk up (no tower shoots) pheasant hunt this season. Does anyone have experience with Hopkins or possibly other places in Md/De/Va area? Would appreciate any input on total cost and quality of experience.

I would love to try wild birds or even stocked birds on public land but not sure such an opportunity exists nearby.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Best place for pheasants not far from Md shore?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Sounds like you need google.

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Give M and M or hopewell pheasantry a call. No wild birds around as far as I know. It's not too costly but a bit like fish in a barrel from what I've heard. Never been myself though

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks Chef. I'm torn on the idea as I really want to kill some upland birds other than dove but really don't want to have that fish in a barrel feeling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well if you can find a place with chukar that's probably your best bet as they are smaller and faster than the pen raised pheasants. You won't know until you try!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Native shores hunting preserve in Centerville Maryland has fantastic birds, they have some of the best quail I have ever shot and that includes wild birds. I have never hunted their pheasants but I know that they raise thousands for other preserves in the country.

621 Grange Hall Rd, Centreville, MD
(410) 758-2428

P.m. me and I can send you a scan of their brochure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

glocksig wrote:
Native shores hunting preserve in Centerville Maryland has fantastic birds, they have some of the best quail I have ever shot and that includes wild birds. I have never hunted their pheasants but I know that they raise thousands for other preserves in the country.

621 Grange Hall Rd, Centreville, MD
(410) 758-2428

P.m. me and I can send you a scan of their brochure.

Totally forgot about that place! I have heard alot of good things about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:50 am 
Limited Edition

as a follow up I was able to get to Native Shores twice this year. Would like to have gone again but work got in the way.

definitely enjoyed the experience and the birds are delicious. the pheasant are indeed almost too easy but the chukar were a bit more challenging. Quail were easier than I expected but a lot of fun. Used the 28ga both times and it worked out very well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have shot chukars a few times that were pen raised and released. They are dumber than a rock. A small percentage provided a challenging shot. The others had to be kicked to get them to flush. I would not shoot released chukars. Pen raised pheasants are not as good of flyers as the wild ones, but they aren’t bad.
I have no idea where to shoot released birds in your area.