CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Express 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 am 
Limited Edition

+1 on Virginians post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:29 am 
Diamond Grade

I agree with Viginian's BS reply to the gentleman from Mississippi.

If one is going to bad-mouth a company it should be based upon clear facts, actual gun ownership, field usage, etc. Several of us have recently purchased Remington shotguns, shot them, dis-assembled, hunted, etc. and been very satisfied.

The gentleman from Mississippi didn't offer ANY evidence to support his "bashing." Generalized statements like "everyone knows..." are not at all convincing.

Remington is probably not the "best" gun manufacturer in the world (PERAZZI ? KREIGHOFF? HOLLAND?), but they do produce useful, durable, and reliable firearms for the "average person" at reasonable prices; and they make a lot of them. I see no rationale for "bashing."

If for some reason I had to hunt the rest of my days with a Remington 870 Express or Versamax, I would do just fine.

gold40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a wingmaster and it is a nice gun. It is from 1982.

I just had the chance to purchase an express 870 12ga, the guy won it and still in box. I took it for 250$ and couldn't pass this deal. I am going to try it and see the difference. The gun doesn't have the same level of finish but you are not paying for that. I bet that it can survive the same life expectancy as a wingmaster.

I don't see remington as different from any other gun company, even perazzi might have problems with their 10k + gun!

I think express is a really nice gun and it did help a lot young shooters to step in the shotgunning world and be supportive to our games.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I agree 100% with Virginian, and I'll add this.

A Remington 870 is a Remington 870. The Express grade guns do not have the same high levels of polish and finish as the Wingmaster grade guns, but they cost half the money. I haven't seen a brand new out of the box Wingmaster in years, as a result of that fact. The public refuses to pay twice the money for a prettier shotgun.

I own a Remington Express. I bought it used just to see what they were like. Mine is about ten years old, has the sawtooth rib and the trigger guard lock they had then, and at first it would stick cheaper brands of shells in the chamber. After I re cut the chamber with a long forcing cone reamer and polished it with a hone, now it shoots any brand of shell. It does rust easily, but I have gun oil and steel wool that takes care of that. It's cheap plastic factory stock was cursed with a brick hard recoil pad I replaced with Remington's Super Cell which is THE best $20 I've ever spent on upgrading a shotgun. The Express 870's are not nearly as pretty as the Wingmasters, but pretty is as pretty shoots when it comes to a beater, throw in the trunk shotgun that you want to use like a tool. If you want to be proud of a pump shotgun, you might as well buy a Remington 870 TC Trap and skip right over the Wingmaster grade.

If you would like a modern classic pump shotgun that every part is made right and finished out, polished, and you'll be proud to own forever, don't buy an 870. Buy a late production Ithaca Model 37 for nearly what you'd pay for a Wingmaster. Nothing wrong with the Wingmaster, but it's never going to be made from solid milled steel and walnut, and every part of it made that way, as an Ithaca Model 37 has been for 77 years now.

All those pump shotguns will work. It's a matter of what you can afford and what you are willing to pay for pretty finish, and how much more you'll pay to have the satisfaction of knowing your shotgun has no stamped steel or aluminum parts like an Ithaca Model 37.

If you'd really like to spend money, go bring along enough to buy a Winchester Model 12 and send it off to Simmons for the full treatment.

But if you'd like a great handling, durable, reliable, and nearly everlasting pump shotgun for shooting targets or birds, you can buy an Express, in either 12 or 20 gauge, and it will point, handle, an shoot nearly as well as anything else you can buy at any price.

And a Mossberg 500 or any of it's ilk will work, will shoot nearly forever, but they aren't even in the same class for handling and being able to shoot as well as you do really fine shotguns. An 870 has broken nearly all records at one time or another for skeet and trap, and if Mossberg ever has broken any I'd be surprised. Mossberg pumps were designed in 1960 for people who weren't willing to pay the money for a Remington 870, and nothing has changed since with them.

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 37 just doesn't do it for me at all SuperX. Never pined even one tiny bit for a Model 12, either. I greatly prefer the ergonomics of a Wingmaster. First one I ever picked up, I loved it. First one I owned, I killed two geese with the first two shots, the morning after I bought it back in the days when you didn't even have to clean a new gun before shooting it. I killed two geese with the first two shots I ever fired out of the only Express I ever owned too. It was highly serviceable, but it had to go. Beauty may be only skin deep, but it's the part I have to look at the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A high polish, "bowling pin finish", Remington 870 Wingmaster just sort of does something for me. Probably because they sold them at the Lowery Brothers Hardware store when I was a kid, and I would handle and want one, then convince myself my inherited Sweet 16 was all the shotgun I'd need for awhile. I've had so many since I've lost count, and still have two or three, one of them even being a TC grade. 870's are awesomely good handling and pointing shotguns for shooting clays, and for birds. The "mousetrap triggers" are hidden up inside and work seemingly forever. It's a wonderful shotgun. But unlike high school, I get to have all the guns I want.

My conversion to the Ithaca M37 came in a South Dakota cornfield about a dozen years ago, when my middle son was about ten and I handed him my Classics Doubles 101 to walk the cornrow and and grabbed a beater Ithaca M37 VR Deluxe I'd taken along as a spare gun. A half a mile later I was like Saul on the road to Damascus, hit by realization that in the M37 was true perfection in a game gun. But they do look sorta silly with that single action bar and you have to take the stock clear off one to get inside it.

I've had several Mossbergs too. But my sons sort of snicker when they see me shooting one, and even though Bladeswitcher sold me the world's finest Mossberg 500 with gorgeous wood, a decent trigger pull, factory pad, and all the trimmings, I just can't work up any fondness for a Mossy. They do work flawlessly, but they handle like a fence post and usually look no better, in my jaded opinion. If you were a kid and knew no better you'd be satisfied with a Mossy so long as you never borrowed an 870, I suppose.

Abraham Lincoln