It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grouse Hunting
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Interested into trying some grouse hunting. Does anyone have any recommendations where some decent places to go in Ohio?

Post subject: Re: Grouse Hunting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I realize this is an old post but I used to live in Ohio and my Dad and Uncle still do. Most of the grouse hunting is done in the southeast part of the state. There are tracts of Wayne National Forest and other public hunting opportunities. Now for the bad news. The grouse population is way down from what it was in the 80s and early 90s. We use to jump anywhere from 5 to 13 grouse per day just walking around without a dog. My Dad and Uncle have not jumped a single grouse in the last 4 years. They jumped one 5 years ago but none the 2 or 3 years prior to that one. So that's one flush in the last 8 years. Dad said that they have shortened the season by a month so that is an indication that the population is down as well. My Dad says the shortened season didn't affect him since he wasn't seeing any grouse anyhow. Sorry for the bad news. I'm sure there may be pockets of grouse here and there but overall, the population is in decline and they haven't seemed to bounce back like they have done in the past.