CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: best 12 gauge autoloader for $600 or less
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Buy a used Beretta 391 Urika or a 390. It will last you a lifetime. My second choice would be a used Browning Gold.

Whatever you buy, get it used!!!!

Keep well, keep happy & keep your head on the stock. - Robert Stack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Why buy it used and possibly get someone elses LEMON. Please explain. If you knew the gun and or owner maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

chilled shot wrote:
Why buy it used and possibly get someone elses LEMON. Please explain. If you knew the gun and or owner maybe.

What the hell are you talking about??? People buy used guns all the time.

The two guns I suggested, Berettas and Browning guns are fine guns new or used. I have six shotguns, five of which were bought used. With the exception of my grandfather's gun, I did not know any of the previous owners and I have not had ANY problems with ANY of my used guns. Two of the guns I bought on on-line gun auction sites.

If you buy a quality gun it should last more then a lifetime. Just make sure you know what you want, research the gun for known issues & research prices/values of the guns.

If you buy the gun on-line ask for a 3/5 day inspection period. In this time if you don't feel that the guns is as described send the gun back. Just make sure both parties understand the terms of inspection period. Most reputable dealers will not have a problem with the inspection period.

If you buy a used gun at a gun shop and are concerned about something going wrong ask the sales person what their policy is for inspecting the gun, return and if there is a warranty.

You can get a very nice used gun for $600. Just do a little research as to the gun you want. You can save hundreds (or thousands depending on the gun) of dollars getting a used gun.
It's similar to buying a used car.

Last edited by obx351 on Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:12 pm 
Limited Edition

If i had the 3-5 day inspection i would consider it. Good point.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

chilled shot wrote:
If i had the 3-5 day inspection i would consider it. Good point.

Most of the gun shops that I have dealt with have some kind of warranty period and they say they have inspected the gun. They have also told me to bring the gun back if there's a problem and they will fix it or give my credit toward a replacement.

If you don't like used guns, then by all means get a new one. I've saved thousands by purchasing most of my guns used.

Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd go with a SX-2. They're good guns and they're also pretty cheap compared to some other guns. I've killed duck,goose,rabbit,squirrel,quail,and deer with my SX-2 and it has not failed me yet. If you can't find a SX-2 cheap enough you might look at the Beretta AL-390. In my opinon its right up there with the SX-2. By the way what everyone is saying about SX-2's being front heavy is a crock. The gas piston and all the other parts are extremely light. The balance is just right to. The Benellis do shoot faster , but I can gurantee you that no one can fire aimed shots as fast as a Benelli can shoot.

Honolulu, its got everything. Sand for the children,sun for the wife,sharks for the wife's mother.
Ken Dodd.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use a Super X2 for turkey and ducks and sporting on occasion. The 3 inch synthetic X2 used to sell for about $600 but may go for more now. I like the X2's. May be a bit heavy for packing all day tho.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:01 pm 

If someone is used to the italian guns (Benelli, Beretta, Franchi). They generaly have a perception that guns like the Browning, Weatherby, and Winchester are barrel heavy. These guns actually have a more netural balance. Comparetively they are because the Italian guns tend to be more stock heavy. I like the netural feel the best. I'll take a stock heavy gun over a barrel heavy gun anyday.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Check out the CZ's, don't know the model #'s, just go to czusa.com an look.The 12 ga. was around $290.00, the 20 ga. is around $320.00 in gunshops around here. People that haveum likeum :)

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

A Remington 1100 or a Remington 1187 would seem to be the best choice to me. If you can find a Beretta 391 for that price you should check it out though. Whatever you like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:48 am 
Tournament Grade

hey parttimeworker (fulltimemouthbreather)--i'll agree with you on one point, that your WAY overpriced sbe will function more reliably than the gas guns you mentioned--but not any better than my baikal mp-153, an x-2, or a newer gold or extrema--but the gas guns DO shoot softer, have more neutral balance (most shooters i know prefer this, or muzzle-heavy like myself)--in 1995 your gun was probably near top-of-the-heap, but not anymore, and certainly not for the price

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:07 am 
Field Grade

I give a big thumbs up for the Winchester SX2 at under the $600 mark. I've shot the my buddy's SX2 on many occassion and I am impressed with the reliablity and ruggedness the shotgun offers. However, I chose the Baikal MP153 instead because it's simply a workhorse that stands up to the abuse I dish out while I hunt. Whether it's the tough winter waterfowling conditions I face on the Platte river or in a muddy cornfield, my synthetic MP153 just flat out works everytime for me. I can easily field strip that gun with out any tools and much effort if need be. My gun shoots target loads to the the heaviest 3.5's loads without even a flinch so far. What gives me the most satisfaction is that I paid just around $300 for the shotgun including shipping and ffl fees. When my partners with their B's (Benelli's , Brownings, and Berretta's) see that I've downed my limit of birds right along side their high dollar status symbols, they really get to thinking about the money they have invested in a shotgun that is really taking a beating too. If I didn't tell them that the gun I'm using was made in Russia, they would of easily mistaken my shotgun for one that might of been made in Italy or the USA. Can't find the MP153? Don't fret, the Baikal line has been purchased by Remington and is now being sold under the Spartan Gunworks name. I don't know what kind of changes the MP153 (now called the SPR453) will undergo. I do know they will offer the SPR453 in a camo finish. I do know, that to find the SPR453 for less than $400 may be difficult. I would definitely feel the Spartan453 would be worth up to around $600 for one these semi auto's in camo. If Remington doesn't alter the existing design, leave the gun as it is, it will still be a great value in under $600 market. In other words, if you can come across a new Baikal MP153 under $350 or maybe even the SPR453 under $500 , then I would jump at that opportunity, because these semi autos are definitely worth more than $600 price range you're looking at. SX2 is still a great choice too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:25 am 
Tournament Grade

quack fiend wrote:
hey parttimeworker (fulltimemouthbreather)--i'll agree with you on one point, that your WAY overpriced sbe will function more reliably than the gas guns you mentioned--but not any better than my baikal mp-153, an x-2, or a newer gold or extrema--but the gas guns DO shoot softer, have more neutral balance (most shooters i know prefer this, or muzzle-heavy like myself)--in 1995 your gun was probably near top-of-the-heap, but not anymore, and certainly not for the price

SBE is still at the top of the "gun rack" for me-heap is for most of the other shotguns, but as I wrote earlier looking at the Stoeger model 2000 camo with msrp at $495 (auto for $600 or less) and it comes with the exact same Benelli inertia bolt system which won't let you down when it's cold and wet in an open blind. Also any shotgun is alright if it leans against the blind,while you have a donut or coffee stuck between you lips, but I also do a lot of turkey hunting (usually 4 or 5 States each spring). That is where a SBE comes through with perfect balance and up to two pounds lighter than the "gas hogs" to keep you going all day. If you want economy for turkey you can buy a light weight single shot for around $150.00. SBE's are listed on the auctions and stores like Gander Mountain for $965 to $995,I think right in the "ball park" of the big name gas guns.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:20 pm 

SBE two pounds lighter? Maybe compared to a 10 gauge semi auto.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Worc wrote:
SBE two pounds lighter? Maybe compared to a 10 gauge semi auto.

Actually, 4 lbs lighter than Remington SP-10!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:53 pm 

The SP-10 is a tank. It weighs 10lbs/12oz. The SBE weighs 7lbs/6oz. Difference of +3lbs/6oz or 3 1/4lbs - 3 1/2lbs. The gas operated Browning Fusion (12) weighs 6lbs/14oz Difference of -8oz or 1/2lb. All weights with a 26" barrel. The SBE is indeed a light weight 3 1/2 gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Forget any gas-operated autoloader at any price. Buy a good used Browning (or clone, such as the Remington model 11)....ESPECIALLY one of the older guns made before WWII. Those guns are great--a pleasure to shoot, and they are practically indestructible (except for the forearm wood). If you shop around you can get one for between $300 and $400, sometimes less. 8)

The only thing better is a Benelli M1 or Montefeltro, and you probably won't find one of them for under $600.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would buy a used Remington 11-87, Winchester Super x2, Browning Gold, Beretta 390 or 391. Also, Franchi makes a nice semi-auto.

I would have a 28" barrel and 3" chamber. For me this would would be used for hunting and clays.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:17 pm 
Limited Edition

I got a Franchi 612 on Wed, shot it today - smoooooth and sooooft. I also have a Franchi Alcione T o/u - I can't believe the amount of recoil in my o/u compared to the 612 - today a shooting friend gave me a 7/8 oz gamebore - the 612 cycled just fine.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Florida-Sporting-Clays-Association/147830402002980

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:16 pm 
Utility Grade

After putting some rounds through just about everything out there via friends' guns, and a jillion calls to the area gunsmiths, l'd have to give the nod to the Baikal MP 153. That's why I bought one...under $600? How 'bout under $400! Though I personally haven't put her through the stresses of my duck and goose hunting yet. Have also heard great things about the Stoeger 2000, for reasons stated by someone else above. Wish it came in a 3.5" version, but maybe my shoulder prefers it this way.

Last edited by pretty dead ducks on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.