CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Short stroking a pump ??????
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Every time some one questions a auto shotguns reliability vs a pumpgun Short stroking is brought up. I am 52 years old I got my first pump shotgun Christmas 1975 I have fired many thousands of shells through a pumpgun I have never done it I have never seen it done. anyone here actually have a problem with this????

Post subject: Re: Short stroking a pump ??????
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a couple times in the past, especially when switching from a gun that I have shot a bunch to a different brand of pump. I think muscle memory is the issue, after a couple of shots with the "new" pump and a little focus it all works out. Maybe I just get the feel of the cycle and don't slam the gun I shot lots, the it's off a bit for a different gun. Certainly not a long term issue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

woodcock1 wrote:
I have a couple times in the past, especially when switching from a gun that I have shot a bunch to a different brand of pump. I think muscle memory is the issue, after a couple of shots with the "new" pump and a little focus it all works out. Maybe I just get the feel of the cycle and don't slam the gun I shot lots, the it's off a bit for a different gun. Certainly not a long term issue.

I agree. I on occasion will short shuck, but is almost always when I haven't shot the pump (but have been shooting something else) in a while. Usually, I fail to pump the action after the shot and then I get in a hurry when I realize I need to load a new shell. Since I shoot a O/U most of the time, I never think about the second shot.

After a few rounds, everything gets back to normal. I'm sure if I only shot a pump, the problem would be rare.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

It has never happened to me but I've seen it happen. I have always actuated the for-end until I feel it stop in the bolt open position and that is the signal that I can now push the fore-end forward. It doesn't matter if it's a different gun or not if you do it this way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

ADAMSGW wrote:
It has never happened to me but I've seen it happen. I have always actuated the for-end until I feel it stop in the bolt open position and that is the signal that I can now push the fore-end forward. It doesn't matter if it's a different gun or not if you do it this way.

That is the way I run a pump too. Back till it stops. Foward till it stops. Adjust sight picture, squeeze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Go watch (or judge) a Seasoned level HRC retriever test where handlers are required to shoot an 870, and you will see it a fair bit from those who did not grow up using pumps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've done it shooting Skeet, and one of the guys I shoot with who's been doing it for almost 30 years and is a multi-time state champion still does it frequently when he's shooting his pump.

I've heard people express concerns about self-defense situations where the adrenaline is high and the likelihood of it occurring may be higher, with the outcome possibly fatal. However, I think pretty much any type of firearm has trade-offs: pumps - short-stroke, autos - jam, single- or double-barrel - limited capacity. However, I have heard the argument made that pumps are more reliable, but autos are more foolproof when it comes to just loading shells and firing off multiple rounds. Somewhat of a toss-up though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've short stroked a pump fewer times than I've had a semi auto fail to cycle the next shell.

If you want reliability as good as the ammo is, shoot a double gun or an Auto Five.

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 pm 
Field Grade

I have done this several times. not so much the last 20 odd years because I use the method mentioned above. hit the wall in reverse then hit the wall in forward. no problems this way. But we all get used to shooting the gun and think we know where to stop it at. this is when we short stroke it. I have shot a shucker gun mostly for the last 40 years. I have shorted it maybe ten times in this amount of time. so not really a problem. I recently bought a new auto. but just not really sure I want to retire my old BPS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

I short stoked my Wingmaster when I first got it........................till I learned to use the pump with "vigor". No problems the last forty years as long as I use enough force?? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:27 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

plumberroy wrote:
Every time some one questions a auto shotguns reliability vs a pumpgun Short stroking is brought up.

It is very, very common . . . particularly with 3-1/2 inch guns, like the SuperNova.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 am 
Crown Grade

It is very easy to do when the exhilaration of that flushing pheasant or quail catches you by surprise. It is also one more thing that can take your gun off the target as you pump it.

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:29 am 
Presentation Grade

I grew up shooting a wingmaster. At the time it was the only gun I had to shoot and never short stroked it. At a DU dinner I won a supernova. This gun was way too long for me and with the 3.5" and roughness, I would short stroke it all the time. I think it all has to do with what you are used to.

On a side note, one time we were doing a deer drive and the guy next to me switched guns with someone else (switched from a pump to an auto). Several deer came to him. He dropped the first one, then tried to pump the gun. It was quit commical to watch him trying to pump the auto as all the deer ran past him. He is lucky he didn't shoot his foot off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:53 am 
Limited Edition

I have when shooting a 870 on trap doubles but never the browning bps on trap doubles. I don't know if the bottom eject has something to do with it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

:D I got my first 870 when I was about 15 or 16 years old. Shot her constantly (rabbits and bobwhite quail) for several years w/o nary a hiccup.
A few decades later (after shooting very infrequently) I started skeeting every :roll: weekend and WHOA MAMA!, I was regularly short stroking and cussing.
Long story short... Now I shoot an 1100 Trap and a Beretta 682 Sporting o/u.
I sold all but a couple of my pumpguns I kept for the simple reason I could still claim to be a Pumpgun Man lol :s .
I am 69 now and havn't shot a pump in a few years... probably never will, but I still say its the best action for a fellow who shoots regularly and wants to bring home a bloody game pouch most every time.
Shoot often and safely.
///olde 8) pharte///

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
I've short stroked a pump fewer times than I've had a semi auto fail to cycle the next shell.

If you want reliability as good as the ammo is, shoot a double gun or an Auto Five.

...................................................................................................................................
That says it perfectly.
8) o. pht.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:10 pm 
Field Grade

Yea, I had a Nova that had areal problem shot shucking... Got rid of it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Some people short shuck a gun and some don't, it is a shooter issue more than a gun issue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

It's not the machine, it's the operator.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own and shoot a lot of shotguns and of all types. My first gun was a Crescent double, my second a Remington Model 11. I got hooked on O/Us and bought several, then doubles; a Parker or two, Lefevers, Fox guns. I have gravitated to pumps. I like their weight and enjoy the pumping of the things. I own five different kinds, Marlins, Winchesters, 870s, Stevens, and Ithaca 37s.

If I open my safe to grab a hunting shotgun it is an Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge with a modified choke made in 1946. Ducks? It is an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge 30" with a Colonial screw in choke that extends from the muzzle so the choking goes on outside the older barrel.

Ithaca is back in business, making only the Model 37. Not cheap today, and they include screw in chokes, but you will never find a better shotgun IMHO.

There are several reasons for my opinion. The gun is feather light. It ejects the empties at your feet. Its action is extremely smooth. Its balance point us just aft my non-shooting hand, so while light it swings well. The gun is simple to maintain and take down. The wood is usually beautiful.

Adds for the new model 37 are interesting, apparently the barrels are the best in the industry, but I do not own any of the new generation of guns. They look the same as the older guns...a Browning design too.