Shotgun Forum banner

History of the Social Shotgun in Pictures!

98K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  oneounceload 
#1 ·
If there's one thing I really like it's a good picture thread.

I enjoy looking at old pictures of various subjects, but seeing how this is a shotgun forum, I'd like to see if anyone would be interested in starting a good "Historic Social Shotgun Picture Thread".

I'd like to avoid people posting their newest wizz-bang shotgun (there's another thread for that) or pics of them shooting at the range. I'd like to keep this thread limited to shotguns in real use...Law enforcement, military, and defensive use.

Regarding defensive use... A pic of daddy in a rocking chair with a shotgun sitting next to him on the porch in 1952 sounds like a good pic. A pic of you with a shotgun watching for looters in NOLA after Katrina...good to go! A pic of you (or me) posing with your HD shotgun in your living room has no historical context and I'd like to avoid that in this thread.

Hopefully the above is reasonable and makes sense.

Now...On to a couple pictures to start.

The first is a picture I posted in another thread, but it's got some neat history. The gentlemen in the following picture are Los Angeles County Constables. It is my understanding that the Sheriff's Department itself was too small (in terms of personnel) to handle the vast jurisdiction of Los Angeles County, so local Constabularies were established which reported to the Sheriff. In this 1924 picture, the man on the left is Jack Pilcher, center with the shotgun (Winchester Model 12 riot) is Ed Brown, and an unnamed officer on the right. Ed Brown was killed in a shootout later that year which also involved Jack Pilcher, who survived and killed the criminal. Jack Pilcher would die the following year in a freak accident where his partner dropped his handgun and it discharged, killing Constable Pilcher.

Here's a link to the story:
http://scvhistory.com/scvhistory/lasd053113brown.htm

The next picture is somewhat more mysterious... The only information I have is the caption from the on-line car thread where I found the picture. It states this is a "Sheriff's Night Squad" from 1925. I can't find any information on-line about the "Night Squad" and while there is no specific department stated, it was in a thread about Los Angeles so I'm going on the "possibility" that it may be the LA County Sheriff's Dept. I can't tell what model shotguns they're carrying, but close as I can tell they may also be Winchester model 12s because they appear to lack the external hammer of the 1897...If anyone can tell better I'd sure like to ID them!

See less See more
#2 ·

I think that those are 20" Winchester Model 12 riot guns made between 1919-1925, and they were not loaded with birdshot. I think the vehicle may be a 1923 Pierce-Arrow Series 33 7-passenger touring car. Good luck with this thread, SoCalDep.

#4 ·

I have identified the building behind the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Night Detail (elsewhere called the Night Squad). It was the old Los Angeles County Courthouse, also as known as the Red Sandstone Courthouse. It was constructed from 1888-1891, and served as the courthouse until 10 Mar 1933, when it sustained considerable damage in the Long Beach earthquake. It was demolished in 1936.

The Sheriff's Night Detail were night detective units that worked from 5 p.m. - 3 a.m. at many stations for immediate response and follow up on major crimes. They served under William I. Traeger, who was the twenty-sixth Sheriff of Los Angeles County from 1921-1932. In 1921 Sheriff Traeger created the Homicide Detail, and in 1922 he created the Robbery, Narcotic, Auto-Theft, Fugitive, and Liquor Details. Later, he created the Farm Theft Detail. In time the Vice, Emergency Services, Mental Health, Livestock, Labor, and other Details were created, although many Details no longer exist today. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Details were composed of groups of officers who gave their services and attention to crimes of a specific nature, as indicated by the names applied to these special Details.

When this picture of the Sheriff's Night Detail was taken in 1925, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office was still located in this old Court House on the south side of Temple Street, between Broadway and Spring Streets, and the old County Jail was located on the corner of Temple and Justicia Streets. Both the Sheriff's Office and the County Jail were transferred to the newly completed Hall of Justice on Temple and Broadway in 1926. -- http://www.badgehistory.com

This Los Angeles County officer was investigating a murder. I think that behind him is a 1923 Pierce-Arrow Series 33 touring car like the one behind the presumed captain and four of his shotgunner deputy sheriffs in the 1925 Los Angeles County Sheriff's Night Detail.

#5 ·
I have learned that Deputy Sheriff William Edward Harris was in charge of the Night Detail at the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office when he was arrested at 3 a.m. on Sunday, 16 Aug 1925, which is very close in time to the 1925 photograph of five of the men of the Night Detail in front of the old Courthouse.

Harris was arrested by Undersheriff Biscailuz (who succeeded Sheriff Traeger from 1932-1957), acting on a telephoned report from Chief Enforcement Officer George Contreras. Harris was charged with selling, transporting and possessing liquor in violation of the Wright Act. His car was confiscated.

A three weeks' investigation, in which some of Contreras's officers posed as motion-picture actors, preceded the raid, which gathered in Harris and six other prisoners at Topanga Beach.

"The bootlegging colony at Topanga Beach has been operating a long while," Contreras said in commenting on the arrests, "but we believe this finally breaks it up. Deputy Sheriff Harris, we learned, was in the habit of visiting Topanga every Saturday night and loading up his car with liquor which he sold on Sunday. Our operators finally made a 'buy' from him and the arrest followed." -- Los Angeles Times, Monday, 17 Aug 1925

#8 ·
Welcome to the Basement, merrit842. I found the following, but I have so far been unable to determine the identity of Bay District Deputy Sheriff William Edward Harris, who was in charge of the Night Detail at the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office, with census and WWI draft records, nor how his case was resolved. I am interested in whom was the presumed captain in the 1925 photo of the Sheriff's Night Detail. Do I understand correctly that Squads are groups within a Detail, and that the four shotgunners and their presumed captain were actually a Squad within the Night Detail??

Santa Monica, California Evening Outlook, Tuesday, 18 Aug 1925

"Former Deputy Hauled Into Court

"William E. Harris, Bay District deputy sheriff until yesterday, when he was placed on the suspended list following a raid by George Contreras' dry squad on an alleged drink dispensing joint in Topanga canyon, was arraigned yesterday before Justice Wilson at El Monte and will face a jury September 2. Bail was set at $2500.

"H. D. Smith, deputy county fire warden, who was arrested with Harris, was also arraigned before Justice Wilson. His bail was set at $500 and his hearing is to be held August 28."

George Contreras, 1927 Los Angeles Detective Chief of the District Attorney's Office. He was Los Angeles Sheriff captain 1929-1945.

I have learned that on 23 Mar 1925, George Contreras, Chief of District Attorney Asa Keyes' Los Angeles dry forces, raided bootleg bars in four Mohave desert towns. He used five of his operatives, with an unspecified number of Federal agents detailed by Chief Prohibition Agent Anderson, and four officials of Kern and San Bernardino counties. Contreras' heavily armed dry squads used four fast automobiles in the Saturday night raids, which were planned weeks in advance. I find it incredible that only fines of $100-$500 were given, totaling $1700. It makes me think that William Edward Harris may have only been fined, and I wonder what happened after his suspension. I wonder if the four shotgunners were in these raids.

#9 ·
I am closer to learning the identity of Santa Monica Bay Deputy Sheriff William Edward Harris. He and H. D. Smith owned the small store at Topanga beach near the entrance of Topanga canyon where he sold liquor. I also learned that George Contreras was the Chief Prohibition Enforcement Officer.

Santa Monica, California Evening Outlook, Monday, 17 Aug 1925
"Canyon Raid Disastrous To Deputies
"George Contreras Catches Pair of Officers in Alleged Sales
"Liquor Charges Against Several
"Bail Total for Wright Act Cases Reaches $5000; Claim Trade Active

"Attired as weary motion picture actors just returning from location 'way up the coast, George Contreras, deputy sheriff and several of his aids dropped into a small store near the entrance of Topanga canyon early yesterday morning and requested drinks of 'hard liquor.'

"The result was one of the most spectacular liquor raids the [Santa Monica] Bay District has known. The store at Topanga beach, operated by Deputy Sheriff William Edward Harris, according to Contreras, has been an oasis for thirsty campers and motorists, not to mention ranchers in Topanga canyon, for some time.

"Harris was placed under arrest and charged with transportation, possession and sale of liquor. He was suspended from duty and relieved of his deputy badge by Undersheriff Eugene Biscailuz.

"Deputy Sheriff H. D. Smith also was arrested as joint owner. He was a deputy fire warden; from this position he was also relieved. Both are technically charged With violation of the Wright act. Others arrested in the raid were: John Yeuk, C. P. Flood, M. Shubb, T. P. Santee and his mother, Mrs. [Ruth] Santee. All are charged with selling liquor. Contreras stated today that Topanga beach establishments have been operating for some time, and that it has been the custom of the operators to bring up many gallons of illicit liquor to the place early Saturday, which has served as refreshments over the week-end.

"All were booked at Santa Monica police headquarters and were released upon the total bail payment of $5000."

--------------

Santa Monica, California Evening Outlook, Monday, 13 Sep 1926

"County Officers Seek Bootleggers
"Contreras' Men Concentrate on Bay District Over Past Week-End
"Sensational Escape
"Man Leaps From Moving Car, Disappears, Leaving Trail of Blood

"The opening barrage of a comprehensive war on Santa Monica bootleggers, which opened Friday with the arrest of six alleged members of a gigantic liquor ring operating in this vicinity, was kept up over the week-end by Chief Prohibition Enforcement Officer George Contreras, more than a score of arrests being reported for asserted liquor law violations.

"One sensational escape occurred late Saturday afternoon when officers attempted to apprehend a suspected bootlegger in a moving car. The suspect leaped from his car while officers were still distance away and, leaving a trail of blood resulting from his fall on the pavement, disappeared.

"A raiding party of county officers, led by Contreras, swooped down on the proprietor of a local drugstore, arresting him for asserted selling of synthetic gin. Eight cars were confiscated by the dry squad, their owners and other Wright law violators being scheduled to appear before Judge W. R. Garrett's court in Santa Monica early this week. The list includes 17 Mexicans taken near Lamanda Park for alleged bootlegging operations."

#11 ·
Thank you, SoCalDep. Do you know anyone in the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department who could search old employment records and then confirm or deny my following conclusions, sir?

With limited resources, I may have correctly identified the Santa Monica Bay District Deputy Sheriff William Edward Harris who was in charge of the Sheriff's Night Detail yet was discharged in August 1925 for illegally operating a bar in Topanga during Prohibition. If identified correctly, he was born in Oxford, Mississippi on 13 Dec 1887. He joined the U. S. Army Infantry in 1907 and he served as a private for 4-1/2 years. He married in 1909, and he was a chauffeur / automobile operator for a private family from at least 1916-1920. He and his family lived in Pasadena, Los Angeles County at least from 1914-1920, perhaps even until 1925. I have no record of this Harris as a Deputy Sheriff, nor as owning a store and bar in Topanga. But it is logical that he was a good candidate for hire because of his military experience and of his skill as a potential driver of the fast automobiles of the Night Detail.

Harris and his family lived in Alhambra, Los Angeles County and he was a bail bondsman there from at least 1926-1930. I cannot determine if he moved there because of his arrest and discharge, but the new career seems logical for a man ineligible for law enforcement. Think... Dog the Bounty Hunter.

I presume that Mr. Harris lived an honorable life after his discharge in 1925. I think that he lived in Palm Beach, Florida in 1935, and that he was divorced and known as Willie E. Harris, a restaurant cook living at the San Pablo Hotel in Oakland in 1940. He died on 18 Aug 1963 and was buried as a veteran in Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego.

I could find no more mention of Mr. Harris after his arrest, so I conclude that he was only fined. I do not think that Harris was very forthcoming about the bootlegging activity in Topanga because over a year later George Contreras arrested the main Topanga bootlegger, John William York. I think that Harris surely knew about York's activities, but he must not have informed Contreras, else there would have been another 1925 raid. I think that Harris' shielding of fellow bootleggers was as disgraceful as his own bootlegging while serving as a sworn officer of the law in charge of the Night Detail.

Santa Monica, California Evening Outlook, Saturday, 09 Oct 1926

"Police Take Three On Liquor Charges

"... Chief George Contreras and his dry squad swooped down on Fred St. Germain, Ocean Park barber, and John W. York of Topanga Canyon.

"York is believed by police to have been the 'higher-up' in a bootleg ring broken up some time ago, although only the alleged underlings were apprehended. Both York and St. Germain were released on $1500 bail and charged on two counts of violating the Wright Act...."

#12 ·
Well, I now know that I correctly identified William Edward Harris in my prior post. I had overlooked that his occupation was "Police" in the 1914 and 1915 Pasadena, California City Directories.

I cannot place Harris and his family in Pasadena from 1921-1925, but I determined that they are not in the 1924 or 1925 Alhambra, California City Directories. This establishes that Harris first moved to Alhambra in 1926, evidently to make a new start among people unfamiliar with his embarrassing arrest and discharge from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in August 1925.

#13 ·
I have not seen a photo online with a match for the leader of the 1925 Los Angeles Sheriff's Night Detail. He was a tall, big man, and he is not Sheriff Traeger. He does have a resemblance to the leader of the Newhall dry squad, Officer James Bond, in the 1924 photo with Newhall Constable Jack Pilcher. They both are taller and bigger than the other men in their squads. They both wear white shirts without ties, vests, watch fobs, and a pen in a pocket. They both have square jaws, large noses, and no smile.

Officer James Bond was James E. Bond Jr., a Los Angeles Deputy Sheriff living in 1923 at 2433 Armacost Avenue S, Santa Monica, California with wife Bertha Clews Bond, and in 1931 they lived at 1884 E Mountain, Glendale, California. In 1940 he was single and living in Saratoga, Santa Clara County, and I presume that he was James Edward Bond who died in Santa Clara County on 16 May 1958. He was born in San Francisco in July 1876, and by 1908 he lived in San Bernardino, where he was a bartender. His lifelong occupation was a butcher / meat cutter, as was his father's occupation before him.

James E. Bond Jr. was the Constable of Malibu township near Santa Monica from at least 1918-1921. He would have been about age 48 in the 1924 photograph. In 1925, James E. Bond Jr. and Bertha lived at 2433 115th Avenue S (a.k.a. 2433 Armacost Avenue S), Santa Monica. It is reported that Bond and Pilcher made quite a team, breaking up stills from one end of the Santa Clarita Valley to the other.

#14 ·
Santa Monica Evening News, Wednesday, 25 Nov 1925

The Superior Court released Notice #183827 on 19 Nov 1925 that "James E. Bond, Chief Enforcement Officer and Deputy Sheriff of the County of Los Angeles, State of California" had seized a Dodge automobile that Clyde W. Poole used to illegally transport liquor. On the same newspaper page is another Superior Court Notice #183829 that "George Contreras, Chief Enforcement Officer and Deputy Sheriff of the County of Los Angeles, State of California" had seized a Cole automobile that Walter Ziegler used to illegally transport liquor.

In the Santa Monica Evening News, Wednesday, 09 Dec 1925, the Superior Court released three Notices that James E. Bond had seized two Fords and a Chevrolet, and on the same page released two Notices that Contreras had seized two Fords. Again, both Bond and Contreras were identified as "Chief Enforcement Officer and Deputy Sheriff of the County of Los Angeles, State of California".

This shows that there were at least two Chief Prohibition Enforcement Officers in Los Angeles County at the same time. I had thought that Chief was a singular position. My guess is that Deputy Sheriff James E. Bond worked for the Sheriff's Department, whereas George Contreras worked for District Attorney Asa Keyes and his Deputy Sheriff status was a legal requirement.

#15 ·
I think that this information is important because sadly more law enforcement officers lost their lives during Prohibition than in any other period of U.S. history. I also read between the following lines that there were some corrupt people in the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and in the office of District Attorney Asa Keyes (he was convicted in 1928 for taking a bribe) who were determined to remove Captain James E. Bond Jr. from the Dry Squad. Moreover, I thoroughly agree with Captain Bond's assessment that people who want to be considered respectable yet buy illegal substances are law breakers and are to blame for the havoc wrought by criminals and gangs supplying their habits.

Santa Monica Evening News, Monday, 31 Aug 1925

"Two Culver City Road Houses Fall Before Dry Raid
"Arrest 25 Persons Eary Yesterday Morning During Dancing

"... The raiding forces were conducted by Captain James Bond. ... In each instance the suspected violators submitted to arrest without disturbance."

Santa Monica Evening News, Friday, 20 Nov 1925

"Denies Candidacy For Sheriff Post

"James Bond, a former city trustee of Sawtelle, when that community was outside of Los Angeles, and now head of the sheriff's dry enforcement squad, today announced that he will not be a candidate for sheriff. He made the statement In denial of a rumor that he would enter the field as a rival of Sheriff William I. Traeger, who will be a candidate for re-election. His statement is In these words:

" 'I am not a candidate for sheriff, nor do I intend to be. There is only one thing I want to say, and it is this: That I like my present job, although I do not necessarily need it, and that if I am removed as head of the dry squad at that time my services here would end.'

"Captain Bond had previously announced that he and his family will tour Europe next spring."

Santa Monica Evening News, Friday, 18 Dec 1925

"Investigate Loss Of Liquor Supply

"Los Angeles, Dec. 18 - The manner in which ten bottles of liquor expanded into three hundred cases of liquor, as was first reported by Captain James Bond of the Sheriff's liquor squad to have been stolen from the Sheriff's booze storeroom Saturday night, today caused a determined investigation into the real states of the Sheriff [illegible] situation.

"Interwoven into the probe was a secret investigation by Chief Criminal Deputy Sheriff Harry Wright into the matter of what became of 160 cases of liquor ten days ago."

Santa Monica Evening News, Wednesday, 10 Feb 1926

"Bond Brands Men Who Buy Liquors As Law Breakers
"Blames Respectable People for Havoc Wrought by Criminals

"Charging that the greatest criminal in the country today is the respectable man who helps to make the business of the bootlegger and the thug a profitable one, Captain James Bond, former Sawtelle city trustee, and now head of the county dry squad, gave a stirring address before members and friends of the Woman's Republican club of Sawtelle yesterday morning.

"The seating capacity of the club auditorium was crowded by men and women who had come to hear Captain Bond speak on 'Prohibition Enforcement.'

"Captain Bond was strong in his denunciation of the people who buy liquor which is produced under the most filthy conditions imaginable, and vended by men who make lawbreaking a business. He gave a graphic account of the work done by the dry squad, of the help given by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and other organizations, and of the many ruses which were employed to fool the dry agents.

"Activities of the 8000 persons who had taken out federal permits to make wine will be closely investigated, as these permits have been cancelled, and Colonel Frith is compiling the list of names and will have it ready for Captain Bond this week, it was said.

"The prohibition agent voiced the opinion that the liquor traffic was less now than it had been two years ago, hearty applause greeting the speaker when this announcement was made.

"Members of the club and visitors were greatly impressed over the success of the program, and Mrs. Ellen French Aldrich, president of the club, was warm In her thanks to Captain Bond for coming to give his talk..."

Santa Monica Evening News, Tuesday, 28 Sep 1926

"Captain Bond Taken Off Dry Squad Work

"(By the Associated Press) LOS ANGELES, Sept. 28. - Capt. James Bond, for three years head of the Sheriff's dry squad, will be relieved from prohibition enforcement duty October 1, Sheriff William I. Traeger said today. Captain Bond has been on leave of absence for almost four months and will report back for duty on the first. Senior Deputy Sheriff James Benton, who has been acting chief during Bonds' absence, will have temporary command. Captain Bond will retain his office and will have charge of the Missing Persons Detail."

#16 ·
SoCalDep, I wonder how many Winchester Model 12 Riot guns the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department had in 1925? When you zoom in on the closeup photo, it is easy to verify that the corncob forend has 19 rings and 18 grooves, which were first produced in 1919. That is Constable John S. (Jack) Pilcher on the left. Some other members of the Sheriff's Dry Squad at a raid in 1925 were LASD Criminal Division Captain Bill Bright, immediately behind Pilcher, and the shorter man wearing a constable badge next to Bright is Deputy Constable Jim Biddison. Next to Biddison, also wearing a constable badge, is Deputy Constable Henry Wertz.

This picture is from Jack Pilcher's scrapbook. I would really like for someone to examine the scrapbook for photos or newspaper pictures of Captain James E. Bond Jr. and Deputy Sheriff William Edward Harris. Can you do that?

The Jack Pilcher scrapbook is kept at the Santa Clarita Historical Society. They are 35 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles, at Heritage Junction, 24101 Newhall Avenue (formerly San Fernando Road), Newhall, CA 91321 inside William S. Hart Park. Call (661) 254-1275.

#17 ·
wfb18 said:
This picture is from Jack Pilcher's scrapbook. I would really like for someone to examine the scrapbook for photos or newspaper pictures of Captain James E. Bond Jr. and Deputy Sheriff William Edward Harris. Can you do that?
I can definitely try! My mom lives maybe a mile from the historical society and we were just there a month or so ago! Once I get a weekend where I can drive down there I'll try to swing by and see what I have to do to get access. Also still working on the LASD museum avenue.

#21 ·
Benelli M1 or M2 with 14" Barrel, Surefire forend and rifle sights. Not the best shotgun pic, but kinda cool since one of those guys may or may not be me ;) - Not the shotgun guy.

By the way...The photo was taken from some distance away, and while it appears guns are pointed at other cops, it is not the case... The front two deputies are covering a different area than the next two, who are not in line with them.

#22 ·
Stevens Springfield manufactured the 311 models from 1931-1989, and Stevens produced the 311R with the 18.25" barrel for law enforcement from 1982-1989. I have read of the 311R in both 12 and 20 gauges, and both 18.25" and 20" barrels.

DOGMANN, I could neither find a photograph among Google images of a Stevens 311R nor any other SxS in professional use by LE. I did not include police gun buybacks or confiscations nor film productions. I think that you have acquired a few of them over the past years, so how realistic do you find them for HD, compared to your Benelli M1, Ithaca Roadblocker 10 gauge, and other shotguns?

Perhaps there are no public photographs of the 311R in use by the NYPD because that could have compromised the identities of the undercover officers who used them in the Stakeout Squad, the Detective Bureau and the Street Narcotics Enforcement Unit.

However, I think that the "R" was an overstatement for a "riot" gun with a two shell capacity. The NYPD Central Robbery Division and the Emergency Service Unit would not use the 311R, preferring 13.5" Ithaca M37's, according to Pat Rogers, NYPD 1973-1993. CRD did investigations as well as stakeout, and had the choice of slug or buck. Mr. Rogers has stated, "I used both guns, but I strongly preferred the Ithaca. Having said that, the 311R was not something that I would be embarrassed to have at home."

DPris stated elsewhere, "I remember thinking that the 311R would be quite handy on the job when they first came out, but my PD would not go for the idea." I do not suppose that many PD's accepted the notion of a two shell riot gun either. I am perplexed that the NYPD risked the lives of its officers with them, but Mr. Rogers did state that the 311R was hardly ever deployed and that they were being phased out before he retired in 1993.

GRIZ22 stated elsewhere, "I can remember seeing NYPD guys qualifying with the doubles in the 1990's. I was told by one of the NYPD instructors that they felt the doubles were safer and easier to use by guys who didn't normally handle a shotgun." Mr. Rogers has stated, "The twice barrel was issued because the FTS did not believe that the average Detective was smart enough to operate a slide action gun (source was Detective Frank Dimario, Firearms and Tactics Section). They also felt that two rounds should be all that was necessary (sigh...)." adwjc, a LEO of Upstate NY stated elsewhere, "The Jersey City, NJ PD had two 12 gauge 311R's bracket-mounted behind every precinct desk. Then there were the few dozen stored in the Gun Locker. The powers that be decided that the 'common folk' could handle these, while the Emergency Services Unit got the pumps and semi-autos (and a lot more)."

ColbyBruce of Atlanta stated elsewhere, "I used to own a Stevens 311R, a factory double barrel riot gun, that a previous owner had nickel plated. I swapped it to a LEO for a Winchester 94 .32 Special. A few months later it saved his life during an undercover assignment. As shiny as the Stevens was, three men crossed a well-lit parking deck and came for him. He walked away from that fight, and his job." My Corollary: Real thugs are not nearly as intimidated by my shotgun as I think they are, and I need more than two shells in my gun. John Moses Browning knew that. General Pershing knew that in WWI. How in the world did the NYPD not know that for the last twenty years of the twentieth century?

Even with the extra production to fill the contracts with the NYPD and with other PD's and correctional facilities unduly influenced by the NYPD, Stevens could only stay in the obsolete SxS business eight years longer.

As mike103 answered you elsewhere, 311R's were used for search warrants by the Narcotics Unit, but "in the Detective Bureau you needed a Lieutenant to deploy the gun so they were used very little. I do know of a stakeout at a housing project where it was deployed and two bad guys bit the dust. 1997 was the last year for the double barrels. I was a Captain in Narco and we did a take back of the Washington Heights area of Manhattan called the Northern Manhattan Initiative [started Sep 1996, later renamed the Citywide Narcotics Initiative]. They trained all 450 cops and detectives with the guns, then phased them out. The right hand never knew what the left was doing."

The article that you mentioned to him, http://www.firearmstalk.com/The-Modern-Double-Barrel-Shotgun.html, stated that the NYPD gave up its last Stevens 311R double-barrels in 2002. Many of the NYPD 311R's were sold but mike103 replied to you that lots of them are still in cages at the NYPD Rodman's Neck Firing Range on City Island of Precinct 45 in the northeast Bronx.

From the top: 1) 1975 Rem 870P. 2) 1970 High Standard 8113 from Allen County PD in Indiana. 3) Ithaca 37 "Homeland Security" from 2003. 4) Ithaca 37 "Homeland Security" from 2003. 5) 1980 Ithaca 37 "M&P" from Snohomish County SO. 6) 1973 Ithaca Deerslayer. 7) 1965 Ithaca 37 M&P 'trench" from Acadia Parish PD. 8.) 1967 Ithaca 37 DSPS LAPD. 9) 1983 Stevens 311R.

#27 ·
I retired from the Springfield, MO Police Dept in 2018, and the last 7 yrs of my career there I supervised the firearms program. I always tried to integrate Dept history into my classes, particularly in our Recruit Academy. With that, I scrounged up any old photos I could grab onto from SPD to include in my classroom presentations.

This is probably 1960-1970's, but I have no information on what is happening.
Wood Tints and shades Art Monochrome Monochrome photography

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.