CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for Double Trap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:25 am 
Utility Grade

I have tried Double trap about 3 times now. I find hitting the first target easy enough but where I stumble is hitting the 2nd target. Besides practice, practice, and more practice does anyone have any tips on mastering double trap?

What chokes do people out there use for Doubles? I shoot the British Commonwealth Down The Line (DTL) version of Trap where you are allowed to fire 2 shots. I normally use an O/U with IM for the 1st shot and Full for the 2nd. The last couple of times I tried Doubles I used Mod for the 1st shot and Full for 2nd shot.

Post subject: Re: Tips for Double Trap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:11 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

But you are refering to American Trap Doubles?

Most problems I see with the second shot is the shooter getting to the target and either stopping the gun, or shooting at the target and it is still moving away----shooting behind.

Also make sure the choke is throwing a full pattern at that yardage, though I/M is usually enough for an experienced doubles shooter.

You really need to get someone to watch you and nail down what you are doing on that target.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Have a pro check your gunfit and watch you a few times to eliminate the possibility that you are raising your head off the comb between the first and 2nd shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:21 pm 
Limited Edition

TexasTon and alf174 both have given good tips. My suggestion is find the lightest 1 oz load that you can consistently break the first target with and it will keep your recovery time and your head down on the stock while you pursue the second bird.
Also don't stop and admire your breaking the first bird, just fire at it and acquire its twin. I've seen and been guilty myself once or twice of gazing at how hard the first one breaks and forget to get after the remaining member of the pair.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:01 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I'm a little slow in my old age :roll: I tend to let the second rock get a bit farther out than I should. By then it's starting to fall, and I'm shooting a high shooting Trap gun! You got's to get under them! Usually way more than you'd think!

BP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:48 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

P1,

We really need to know if you are shooting American ATA trap doubles or Olympic Trap doubles.

All of the replies have been with the assumption that you are shooting ATA doubles. I am not familiar with Olympic Trap Doubles so I do not know if the same techniques that work with ATA doubles would apply.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

waverider wrote:
P1,

We really need to know if you are shooting American ATA trap doubles or Olympic Trap doubles.

All of the replies have been with the assumption that you are shooting ATA doubles. I am not familiar with Olympic Trap Doubles so I do not know if the same techniques that work with ATA doubles would apply.

Actually, all of the replies except for possibility of the choke size would apply to trap doubles, ATA or International.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:48 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Alf174,

So in Olympic Trap Doubles you know exactly where the targets will be like ATA Doubles?

I thought that you could get very low, very wide targets, very high and/or a combination of whatever. Are the traps locked to throw the same targets at each station?

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

waverider wrote:
Alf174,

So in Olympic Trap Doubles you know exactly where the targets will be like ATA Doubles?

I thought that you could get very low, very wide targets, very high and/or a combination of whatever. Are the traps locked to throw the same targets at each station?

Jason, I'm not quite sure.

I was pointing out that I thought that all of the points about keeping your head down, not stopping to admire (i do that), getting to the target, etc. applies to all clay target games (skeet, ata doubles, true sporting clay pairs) and would include Intl doubles. Maybe I assumed wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:11 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I find shooting and golf a lot the same. Both spectator sports! Let the spectator do the looking, if YOU do it there is never anything good to see! :cry:

BP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

P1 wrote:
I have tried Double trap about 3 times now. I find hitting the first target easy enough but where I stumble is hitting the 2nd target. Besides practice, practice, and more practice does anyone have any tips on mastering double trap?

What chokes do people out there use for Doubles? I shoot the British Commonwealth Down The Line (DTL) version of Trap where you are allowed to fire 2 shots. I normally use an O/U with IM for the 1st shot and Full for the 2nd. The last couple of times I tried Doubles I used Mod for the 1st shot and Full for 2nd shot.

After hitting the first bird (don't look for the second until you see the first one start to come apart - no sense rushing the first shot just to miss it) slide to the second bird. Most folks loop over the second target and sweep past to get a bearing. Shoot the first then cut straight across (slide) to the second one and shoot right at it. If all your shooting habits are good you should start breaking decent scores in a short amount of time.

Don't shoot the first bird too fast just to end up missing it. Better to hit all first birds and miss all second then the other way around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:47 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

dfm wrote:
Most folks loop over the second target and sweep past to get a bearing. Shoot the first then cut straight across (slide) to the second one and shoot right at it. If all your shooting habits are good you should start breaking decent scores in a short amount of time.

Sorry, and JMO but I don't think this is correct. After the first target and during the move to the second, you bring the gun down slightly to come up under the second target, at this point you aren't looking at anything but the second target and its trajectory----if you are above the target it is difficult at best to establish what it is doing.

And, the only way you can shoot directly at that second target and it break, is if you are using swing-thru to establish lead. Alot of newbie doubles shooters can't get on that target before it is dropping, swing thru on a dropper is adding difficulty to that presentation.

This isn't just how I shoot doubles, I know of several Doubles Champs that teach/instruct and the move under the target is how they teach to become effective at that game.

This move is especially important in 27 yard doubles, which is becoming quite popular around here, and is being used as the shootoff discipline in alot of places.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:49 am 
Presentation Grade

I'm afraid you've misconstrued my meaning.

My saying that most folks loop over to the second bird was meant to be used as an example of how not to do it. I just wasn't clear on that point.

Although coming up under the bird is a good idea I've had much better luck sliding into it and just pulling the trigger. As long as your head's down and timing good it works well.

This method was taught to me by a AA doubles shooter years ago and has worked well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:01 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Sorry, yes, I misunderstood :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:07 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

i think you guys will shoot trap doubles just fine! all i might add is to CHARGE the first target, get it over with. before moving the gun while looking for the second target, find it with your eyes while staying in the gun. DO NOT HUNT FOR THE SECOND BIRD WITH THE BARREL!!! then, as texas ton suggested, draw a smiley face to put the barrel on the second target. don't take all day doing it. i ain't the best doubles shooter in the world, but a former world champion trap doubles shooter does shoot with me quite often. just shooting with him has given me much help. 8) i use light mod and imod for american doubles, imod and full for intl'.

to recap, stay in the gun. charge the first bird. visually locate the second bird BEFORE moving the gun. STAY IN THE GUN. draw a smiley face with the barrel and come up under the bird. DO NOT LET THE BIRD GET UNDER THE BARREL! don't take all day. put puffs of diesel smoke where the birds used to be. see how simple that is? :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:14 am 
Crown Grade

I have shot a lot of trap over the past two years. It has replaced golf as my number one obsession. However, I have not shot any registered targets nor observed anyone shooting doubles.
From what I gathered above (and I could have misread it) do the doubles in ATA shooting fly the same each time? I mean--are doubles not mixed like on regular trap where you shoot a hard left and then possibly a hard right and one down the middle next? Do the doubles follow the same flight path (basically) each time?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:24 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

kt
pleasure to see you on the firing line. yes, american trap doubles come out the same way, every time. that is why you can charge the first bird, and get all over the second little devil, before he starts to drop and before the wind steals him from you! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:41 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

KT, here is a brief explanation of doubles and trajectory: http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/trap/doubles.htm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:15 am 
Presentation Grade

"Aggresive on the first bird, deliberate on the second." Leo Harrison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:16 am 
Diamond Grade

This works for me....

30" Mod & Full... light 8s on both bbls... jump the first bird quickly... go "straight" to the second bird... I tell myself the same thing everytime I mount the gun: "at 'em & under 'em"