CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bayonet Lug Mossberg 500 Persuader
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:08 pm 
In an earlier post someone mentioned that Big 5 has a sale on the Mossberg 500 Persuader Combo (2 barrels), so I went out and purchased one. I haven't taken deliverly yet because I live in the People's Republic of California.

Anyway, the question I have is about bayonet lugs. The 590 barrel has one, but my local gun store tells me I will not be able to purchase a barrel with a bayonet lug that fits my 500. Is that correct?

I know that some people on this forum feel it is impractical, but that is not the issue. If I want one, for my own reasons, can I get one?

Thanks for your help!

Damian C.

Post subject: Re: Bayonet Lug Mossberg 500 Persuader
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:16 pm 
Field Grade

I'm not up on the gun laws in the PRC as I am from Ohio, but I think that it might be a moot question for you anyway.
Here's why:

I am not a Mossberg collector or "expert" in any sense, but I have never seen a bayonet lug on any Mossberg Persuader barrel. It is not current production, nor am I aware of any Persuaders with a bayo-lugged barrel in the recent past. The Persuader is really a 500 but more "tactical" :roll:, hence the cool name. It takes the same barrels as the 500.

I have only seen bayo-lugged barrels on the 590.
So.... just get a 590 barrel and stick it on the Persuader, right? Nope - 590 barrels are not interchangeable with 500/Persuader barrels, according to Mossberg.

In short, I think you're out of luck on the bayo lug unless you buy a 590 with one (not all sub-variants of the 590 have one). I have no idea if you can buy one with such an "evil" feature in CA.

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:38 pm 
Thanks familyguy, that's exactly what my local gun dealer says. I was just hoping it wasn't true. Oh well. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:00 am 
Utility Grade

Is Big 5 a dealer name? Do you know what their website/phone number is? What did you pay, if you don't mind telling? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:20 pm 
Hi Alex,
Big 5 is a sporting goods chain store. I think they are all located in the Western states, but I'm not sure about that. You can check their website. I paid $219 plus tax. I think the sale is still going on. They are only $299 when they aren't on sale though. That's a Mossberg 500 Persuader with a 28" and 18.5" barrel. Hope this helps.

Post subject: Silent a question for you
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:02 pm 
Does the pursueder barrel screw in like a standard 500 just with a longer magazine? The 500 has a cap on the end of the mag tube, that is how it attaches. If the end cap comes off as a seperate part, the barrels are interchangeable. I used to turn my 590 into a 500 with a 28" barrel by removing the magazine tube and replaceing it with the one from the 500 then installing the barrel. it could be done just as easily the other way, albeit expensive I'm sure. The Mossberg reciever is the same for the 590 and 500 just the forward components are diffrerent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:29 pm 
Field Grade

i also have the 500 persuader, also bought it at big 5 and also live in cali.

so, no you cant get one of those lugs for a bayonet for it.

and i paid $289 for mine, but went in yesterday to pick up my rifle and noticed that they were on sale for $209 so thay gave me refund for the difference.

As a note to people in other states, cali seems to have a highr price for guns then other places.

silentdogfart (?) how do you like the 500 so far?

And the list shall grow......

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

familyguy45 is correct, based on my understanding of the printed info from Mossyberg. Simply said, the 590 barrels are not interchangeable with the 500. Easy enough.

Buy the way, based on my reading of the CA statutes, there is nothing to prohibit a bayonet lug--but I am somewhat curious as to what the use would be?

Big 5 has about 280 stores in 10 western states--they are a Sporting Goods Store and generally carry the lower end line of guns.

Now don't get upset over the remark 'lower end'--I have the Mossberg 500 with 20"bbl and 7+1 mag with the aftermarker Surefire 623FA light on the end for HD. Good gun!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:31 am 
Utility Grade

Hello folks.

I got my Mossberg 500a from Big 5 store here in Vista, Ca. I took my new gun to Iron Sights in Oceanside and blasted about 30 shells (slugs and 00) with great results at a range about 50 yards. This is straight out of the box. If I can have that accuracy with time to think and relatively steady hands then this is a good home defense tool. The folks at Iron Sights are a good reference. Yes, my shoulder was a mess but hopefully the new recoil pad (visit the store) will make the next visit less purple and green.

The gun cost was US$209. Great gun, good price. I recommend a good cleaning kit and lock (duh)

:roll: Thanks, Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I personally have a Mossberg persuader that indeed DOES have a bayonet lug, came with a bayonet with scabard, it has a 24 inch open choke barrel with rifle sights, blued. Black stock and fore end. 3 rd speed feed stock at that. Sling swivels and it has a 8 rd tube magazine. In my opinion it is one hell of a home defense weapon. I actually used it with remington deer slugs and shot my only buck with it. No lie. I dont think that they are available in longer, but trust me, if you can find one,,,BUY IT...they are worth every penny. I would rather I had bought the old school mossberg 590 parkerised finish with heat sheild that used to be available that came with the bayonet, but I am very happy with what I have. I think I got it back in 1988. hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

500 and 590 barrels are interchangeable. You just need to get the 590 magazine tube and cap

And Solo as my pilot