CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: #7 1/2 vs. #8 shot for trap
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Can anyone really tell the differance between a #7.5 and a #8 load?? I shoot trap and am not good enough to really get a feel between the two.
Which do you use :?:

Post subject: Re: #7 1/2 vs. #8 shot for trap
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

From what yardage? From the 16, 8's are great, probably even from the 22 or 3 yard line. And I know some shooters that use 8's from the back line, I won't.

I really don't think switching from one size to the other will buy or lose you any targets from the front, I think under the wrong circumstances (wind, flat targets) 7 1/2's would be better from farther back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:30 am 
Global Moderator

The addage has been for many in doubles to shoot the first bird with 8s and the second with 7.5's.
Is it a mental edge or does it really make a difference?
I would stick with one shell and shot till you need to tweak out those last few targets.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Can you tell the difference? Absolutly! TexasTon hit the answer perfectly--beyond 22/23 go with 7.5. I use 8.5 from the 16 yard line only, but that is pushing it.

-Chip-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:00 am 
Presentation Grade

ChipEckardt

I actually use #9 at 16 yards occassionally :) (Actually because I loaded them for skeet but don't use my 12 ga for skeet much anymore. )

I have been using #8 1/2 1 oz load from the 16 - 20 yard lines. Theory being giving me as many shot pellets as if I used 1 1/8 #8's.

But - when its windy - which is very common at the ranges I've been shooting, I use #8's either 1 or 1 1/8 oz.

Sorry I'm good enough yet to hit much after 23 yrds - but if I ever do 8) I'll use my 7 1/2's - got 'em loaded all ready to go :!:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:50 am 
Tournament Grade

I have never been able to tell a big difference between #8's and #7.5. However, currently I shoot nothing buy #7.5 for everything from first shot of doubles to handicap. It is just easier for me to only have to mess with one size of shot for reloading. Plus, I am able to purchase larger quantities at a time for a better price.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shoot 7.5's in 12 gauge for all clay games. Never have to second guess myself and they do hit clays harder from longer range.

The bigger shot size really shines in cold weather for trap. You won't see many birds "dusted" then fly off. And it doesn't matter whether the game is singles, doubles, or handicap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

brianb131 wrote:
Can anyone really tell the differance between a #7.5 and a #8 load?? I shoot trap and am not good enough to really get a feel between the two.
Which do you use :?:

To be very honest , Cant tell any differance . I use the 8s for no real reason only a compromise between 15 yard targets and 40 yard targets , some use 9 for close stuff , others use 7.5 for long stuff , 8s are fine for me .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

8 1/2 shot is tops in my book for 16 yr trap, skeet and closer SC shots. My son shots 8 1/2 for his handi cap load at 21 yrds aswell. He always uses a 7/8oz for 16yds or a 1 oz load for 21yrds. We found the the trick with them is to keep them doing 1200 fps or better. For everything else we use 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:30 am 
Limited Edition

Pattern your barrel and chokes. My main tournament gun has a fixed .039 choke and it patterns better with #8 shot. Perhaps the magic BB theory would advocate using 7.5, but I really hope to hit the target with more than one piece of shot. I am a 27 yard ATA shooter and I would say the choke is more important than the pellet size.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Killian's Red wrote:
Pattern your barrel and chokes. My main tournament gun has a fixed .039 choke and it patterns better with #8 shot. Perhaps the magic BB theory would advocate using 7.5, but I really hope to hit the target with more than one piece of shot. I am a 27 yard ATA shooter and I would say the choke is more important than the pellet size.

We are only allowed 1oz loads here and I use 7.5 for all yardage. Having said that I would have to agree 100% with Killian's Red. My chokes are Full and Imp Mod in a Beretta
Gold E.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently witnessed smoke off of clay targets at 23 yards that didn't break. We were shooting in a freezing rain downpour. Now, what was really interesting was... you could see the shot string/pattern splashing off the rain drops! Strangely enough, in several instances, it looked as though the pattern should have shattered the target. Also, you could see a bit of black dust seem to puff off the clay, but it didn't break.

I started out shooting #8 shot at the 16 yard line. Then switched to 7.5s at the 23 yard line. You can tell a difference in the way the target breaks. I'm going to stick with 7.5 for everything from now on. Also, 7.5 gives a bit tighter pattern, and more enery down range. The argument being that it takes less 7.5 pellets than # 8 pellets to break a target at the same distance (due to Pellet energy). Also, in windy conditions, the 7.5s shot string will be less distorted/affected by drift.

There is definately a psychological issue as well. Some guys mix 7.5 and # 8 shot in one load. I guess if the pattern is on the bird, it will break regardless.

Also, concerning chokes... I would venture to guess that you can shoot a bit more open choke with 7.5s than with #8s. But, again, these things can be mental road blocks that distract from shooting.

My best scores... my first 75 straight, were shot with mild 10Z loads filled with #8 Shot, but from the 16 yard line. I like the way the 7.5s smash the targets further back.

Bottom line IMHO.... use 7.5s. Tighter patter and less pellets will help keep your point of impact smaller, maybe leading to more "accuracy" in placing the shot pattern on the bird.

As far as cold weather... I would guess that the cold makes the clay "Harder", but you would think that it would also become more brittle. That being said, it would make sense to use 7.5 shot (which has more impact enery).

I haven't been able to break my 75 straight since switching from #8s to 7.5s. However, I've been messing with different wads and loads. I decided to go back to my original 75 straight load, but with 7.5 shot instead of #8. Maybe it is a bit of a psychological advantage... confidence in the loads.

Good luck, and experiment on the patterning board with different loads/shot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:28 am 
Tournament Grade

I used to use a 1-1/8 oz load of 7-1/2s. I dropped to 1 oz, then to 1 oz of 8s. I have had no problem breaking the targets with them, in fact, I have been shooting a bit better. I still use 7-1/2s at anything over 22 yards, but inside that 8s are what I use.

As far as dusting and not breaking them, that could be the brand of target too. One club around here uses Lowry targets. They seem to be a little harder of a target to break. Every time we shoot against them at home you can see a couple lost birds that almost leave a cloud trailing behind them but don't break.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:28 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I shoot 8's in warmer weather and switch to 7 1/2's when frost is on the punkin. No real reason for it---just a long time habit.

On the other hand, I dont think that I have ever broken a target with 8's that I would have missed with 7 1/2's.

Many time All-American Leo Harrison says," the reason I use 7 1/2's is because they wont let me use 6's"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I generally use #8 for everything. I shoot just about everything from the 16, once in awhile I will bounce back to the 20 or 22.

Since I'm buying and supplying the ammo, my son shoots #8s also in his 20ga. He uses his full choke all the time. Says he can't hit anything with modified. I figure if it works for him, why make him change. I've settled in on my modified choke.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:13 pm 
[quote="trapshooter"]

There is definately a psychological issue as well. Some guys mix 7.5 and # 8 shot in one load. I guess if the pattern is on the bird, it will break regardless.

I will go with that and use whatever load , what ya reckon Trapshooter ? , 7.5 8 , the differance is none :!:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As hard as it is to admit, I do the same as driller. 8's when its warm, switch to 7 1/2 when it gets colder. I've never seen a difference from 16 yards to 27 yards. If I hit it, it generally becomes a cloud of dust. If I don't ...

I do use a hotter load from further back. Generally I like a 2.75 Dram EQ back to about 22-24 yards. Anything further, I prefer a full 3 Dram EQ.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:33 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

We arent on the political forum now Red---it's OK to agree with me here---- :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like shooting the 7 1/2's myself, I like to let the clay piegons get quite aways out before I blast them. I also use a full choke which is nice for the 27 yard trap and the like. I have hade good succsess with the 8's to but I prefer the 7 1/2 shot size.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I switched to #8 shot for 16-yard trap to gain a little margin of error. I like it a lot. I usually use a full choke, and I let targets get pretty far out before I pull the trigger. Much further back than the 16-yard line, I use #7.5 shot.

Tom