CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fabarms classic Lion SxS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:18 pm 
Thinking of buying one of these shotguns in a 30" barrel. If anyone out there owns one I would be interested in what you think of your gun!
Thanks Dietrich

Post subject: Re: Fabarms classic Lion SxS
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:39 am 
Field Grade

If you use the search function on this forum and look up this gun you will find me saying the same thing:

Buy it... its a fantastic gun and an excellent value. I bought one with 26" barrels for upland hunting..... mostly wild gamble's quail in arizona.

I hunted the thing VERY hard this year and have ZERO complaints with this gun.

Functioned flawlessly, balanced and pointed like a dream, looked damned good doing it too.

Seriously, its one of the best kept secrets in the side by side market. I paid a little over a grand for mine, and compared to the dehaan's (which I do like) and others in the $700-$1300 range.... no comparison.

Ugarthechea's are a damned fine gun in this range too, but are fixed choke, which for me... was a clincher.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:46 am 
Just completed the order and will let you know how it feels and balanced it will be with the 30" barrels. Many thanks for taking time to answer my question!
Dietrich

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:41 pm 
I bought one about 4 months ago with high hopes of finding an affordable, but quality sxs to be a workhorse. I think the action is good, and the fit and finish are acceptable for that price range. A little bulky in the grip and not as well balanced as a Beretta or AyA, but a very solid choice. In fact, combined with the lifetime warranty, I would have to say that you certainly get more gun than the price would suggest.

However, I, for one, cannot stand the enhanced wood. Most retailers comment on the "excellent wood," of these guns, but the late production runs of the Classic Lion in the Grade I, the Elite, and many of the Grade IIs, have "enhanced" wood finishes. By enhanced, I have learned that the manufacturer applies an “artistic” overlay on top of the real wood that supposedly brings out the natural grain, and then coats the overlay with a plastic-like film. The overlay actually distorts the real grain of the underlying wood. No real oil finish here. When scuffed or scratched, the overlay disappears as does the coating. I found it very disappointing. It gave me the feel that the gun was somehow fake. If Fabarms had simply elected not to use the enhancement and simply oil-finished the lower grade wood, I could say that the gun was near perfect at the price.

So in closing, the Classic Lion is a great deal, but lovers of wood stocks beware.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:33 am 
Field Grade

I had not heard that about the enhanced wood.... I am thankful I have one of the earlier produced guns with select walnut, and the pistol grip stock.

I am not a fan of the idea of "enhanced" wood, or the "extra" wood that beretta uses... just doesnt look or feel right to me.

SxS dude, please do let us know how your new toy shoots.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:40 am 
Limited Edition

I bought a Classic Lion II in 2002 direct from HK and at the time, the price could not be beat. It was all I could afford to be totally honest.

I paid $1410.00 for the gun, a complete second set of choke tubes along with shipping and insurance.

Now most dealers are selling the HK marked models at cost to clear their inventory due to HK no longer importing them.

Before you ask, HK will honor the life time warranty on the guns that they imported. SIG, the new importer, will not honor the warranty on an HK marked gun.

The one single factor that I don't care for about my CL II is the weight (7.2 lbs.). I figure it is due to the 3" chambers. Other than that, it's a fine example of a European SxS shotgun built well with very good wood to metal fit.

The CL II does not or at least at that time, did not have the "enghanced wood", the wood is oil finished walnut. The CL grade I did have the "enhanced wood" and I was steered away from that model.

I use mine strictly for pheasant shooting and it served me very well this past season. :wink: In fact, my Brother and I will travel to PA this Friday for some additional pheasant shooting on a shooting preserve there and the FABARM will go along.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I purchased a used Classic Lion with 26 inch barrels last summer. The gun is nicely built , fit and finish is top notch. Being an old model it has a quality walnut stock with nice figure and pistol grip. I purchased mine via a dealer in Mississippi and only had the photo to make my purchase from here in NC. Paid under $1000 and could only be happier if it had 30 inch barrels. The stock fits me great. Longer then most factory stocked guns. Gun performed well on doves this season.

One of the other folks on this forum purchased one used like I did. He inquired about purchasing a set of 30 inch barrels. Fabarms would do it, but cost was $1200. One can buy a second gun for that cost. I little disapointing but typical of most gun mfg companies, unless the gun comes with barrel sets from the factory they either offer no option to buy extra barrels or if they do the price is out of line.

I would recommend looking at the gun you plan to purchase to insure you get good wood and the fit is right. I got lucky.

APEXDUCK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:48 pm 
I have purchased two HK/FABARM shotguns over the last six months: one is the Classic Lion II with an oiled walnut stock and machine engraved side plates, the other is a Sporting Clays Competition with the "enhanced" wood and an overlay over the action and barrels that vaguely resembles carbon fiber. It also has an adjustable comb.

The SxS stopped working at the end of January after about 3,000 rounds through it. The right barrel would not cock and the ejector stayed out. I sent it back to HK and they fixed it and returned it three weeks later (pretty good considering shipping time was a full week each way so they only had the gun a week). The repair order states they "adjusted the ejector cam". I didn't realize that you could, but the gun seems to function once again (I haven't fired it, yet). They fixed it without question and even left out the link for the automatic safety that I had removed when I first got the gun. The safety works just fine, it just is not automatic anymore.

I'm happy with HK and the gun in spite of needing repair. The gun is OK looking for $1,400, but certainly not a "best" gun by any means. The lock works are nicely machined and seem to be quite will made with all coil springs, of course at this price point. The appearance is a bit disappointing as the pierced tang is just a rather poor casting that nobody touched to clean it up. The wood/metal fit is pretty good and so is the checkering for a production gun. The inside of the side plates were left rough, no big deal, but it could have been smoothed in about five minutes. The gun is very pleasant to shoot with the Tri-Bore system, which does seem to noticeably reduce recoil. The patterns are exceptional with all the chokes except the full, which is a bit spotty.

I'm not near as happy with the O/U. The "enhanced" wood is terrible. It looked good in the photos on the Internet, but is just cheap wood (I don't even think that it is walnut) that has been painted and not very convincingly at that. I'm a wood guy and I'm either going to sell this ugly stick or put a "real" stock on it. That said, it shoots very well, comfortable recoil again, 8 chokes to choose from and they all pattern quite well. I would like this gun if it were offered in coin or case-colored or blue and oiled walnut. I went on the FABARM web site and it looks like the new ones are, so maybe the offerings by SigArms will have better aesthetics.

Overall, good bang for the buck, just be prepared to take some sh*t from your shooting buddies if you get the "enhanced" wood, 'cuz it IS UGLY!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:15 pm 
Quote:
Overall, good bang for the buck, just be prepared to take some sh*t from your shooting buddies if you get the "enhanced" wood, 'cuz it IS UGLY!

Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:57 pm 
Limited Edition

When I bought my CL II 12 ga., there was some talk at HK about a 20 ga. possibly coming out the next year.

I would have grabbed one up as soon as they became available but, I presume from the lack of sales and the Classic line not meeting expectations for HK, the 20 ga. never became reality.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:51 am 
Utility Grade

"One of the other folks on this forum purchased one used like I did. He inquired about purchasing a set of 30 inch barrels. Fabarms would do it, but cost was $1200. APEXDUCK"

That was me, and yup Fabarms is bringing out a 20 SxS built a tad different and imported by Sigarms , I belive the name was "Nobile" or "Noble". I am waiting to see one.
My 26" grade one is still going strong, pics of it are in the photosection along with some of last falls birds. Overall I am still quite happy and plan to put a pad on it to soak up a bit of the heavy loads that sometimes find thier way into the chambers.

Good solid gun for the money IMHO.
K12pilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Cuttinge has it absolutely right - no one would confuse a CL for a best gun, but it is a great gun for the money.

I will part with mine after only 100 rounds, because I need real wood, and as someone else here already said, life is too short to shoot an ugly gun. For those of you looking for the CL, look for the genuine walnut finish as it would certainly complete the package.