CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning BSS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:45 pm 
I recently purchased a 1974 Browning BSS in excellent condition for $675. It has 26" barrells and the non-selector switch with pistol grips. Chokes are IC/M.

I went to look at a different gun the guy was selling and fell in love with the sxs.

I didn't have a lot of time to research the gun, but I've heard both sides of the spectrum, "I got robbed" to "You robbed him".

I had a chance to go rabbit hunting with it this weekend and I think it was a good purchase.

I'm not really interested in selling it, just curious if I paid too much.

Post subject: Re: Browning BSS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:45 pm 
Field Grade

Buy all you can at his price. Excellent guns are going for $1,000 to $1,300 in 12 guage. And as much as $2,000 in twenty guage. These are well built and while a bit cluby are good shooters. Have fun and if you see another for that price buy it keep it a few years and you will not loose a thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:13 pm 
Crown Grade

The good Dr. and I agree once again.

I have a 12 ga BSS and though it is not a fast handler like some of my other SxS's it is a very well made and solidly built gun.

Your BSS is a bargain at the price you paid. Look "on line" at the asking prices and you'll see how well you did.

You can't wear it out and the 3" chambers allow you to shoot just about anything with it. I have hunted everything from woodcock to turkeys and Canada geese (Bismuth) with mine.

Now, take your new friend out in the woods and get acquainted, you'll be happy with your purchase.

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:19 pm 
Thanks fellas. My shorthair and I hope to enjoy it for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:03 am 
Tournament Grade

congrats on that fine purchase. if you really want to know how you did on that deal just check out the gun auctions they will tell the tale for you.. i have one in 20ga.. with 28" barrels and found it a great shotgun ,still tight, a tad heavy but shoots like a dream..have fun with yours..tony

Last edited by tony kosinski on Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:18 am 
Crown Grade

I'd say you did pretty good. The silver non-selective tigger models were the later models. The steel was actually made in Korea, but they were assembled in Japan. There is no difference really except that the totally Japanese ones have a single selective trigger. $675 is about right for one of those. If it is a 20 gauge, it is worth a bit more. More like $800? Maybe? They are good guns and you will enjoy it for years.

Congrats.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:34 am 
Tournament Grade

phideaux i haven't seen any for those kind of prices in quite sometime .if you find them for that price buy them up you can make some good money reselling them..if you look long and hard you might find that price. i know what the blue book say's they are worth but the demand is driving the prices close to double of that ..tony :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:42 am 
Crown Grade

Absolutely Tony. That is a pretty good price, and they are going up in value. I do see the silver trig, non selective one go for about that much.

Look at www.gunbroker.com , www.auctionarms.com , and www.gunsamerica.com . <--- especially the last one. They have a bunch of them for fair prices.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:51 pm 
Field Grade

Just a note concerning Phideaux's comment on triggers and where they were in the order of production. The silver trigger guns were all non selective triggers and were produced from 1971 in 12 guage and 1972 in 20 guage. These were all 20 lines per inch checkered pistol grip stocks. They were made in Japan by Miroku. In 1977 the sporter version came out having an english straight grip stock and semi beavertail forarm. These had single selective triggers. About this time the guns began to be made in Korea with parts made in Japan. These triggers were gold plated or gold colored in both the sporter and pistol grip versions. Note all these guns were box lock guns and there were in the early 1980's Grade II BSS produced that had more elaborate wood and engraving on a greyed frame. These are quite rare and have also Gold triggers. 1987 was the end of BSS production. A greatr loss to be sure. These guns were well made. They had chopper lump barrels, hand engraved receivers, bushed firing pins accessable at the breach face, a disasppearing rib. They handled well most especially in sporter 12 guage and all 20 guage versions.

The Blue Book is not in touch with reality on what these things are going for. The rise in prices for all imported doubles due to the falling value of the dollar makes the price go up. Indeed check out Guns America and see what is being asked for them.

Matt Eastman in his book Browning Arms Guns of Distinction said of the BSS: "We don't miss something really until it is gone." Back in 1971 a BSS was available for $232.50 as per catalogue of that year. I purchased a 12 guage in 1995 that was mint for $500 and a 20 guage in 2003 for 900 that needed the stock refinished. I feel lucky and enjoy these guns. Who knows maybe if the Ruger Gold is sucessful Browning may have Miroku make a run of them. What a joy that would be and it would mitigate the price of what is fast becoming a hard to get item.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Dr. Bob,

What years were the selective triggers offered?

I received mine in 1979, it was of Japan/Korea manufacture and had the silver non selective trigger and pistol grip/beavertail. I restocked it with a straight stock and semi beavertail. But I still have the factory stock.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:49 am 
Field Grade

Coincerning Jeff's question:
The BSS was givebn a selective single trigger when the sporter model was introduced in 1977-1978. The pistol grip stock version was eventually fitted with this single selective trigger. I do not know when exactly. Browning when making changes often had overlapping years when both the single select and single no select were available. By the early 80's the pistol grip had a single select. Two other notes the 3' 12 guage became available when the 30' Full and Full guns were first introduced in 1975. There after only 3" 12 guages were made with the exception of the sidelock 12. 20's were all 3" from inception in 1972. Also the barrel marking were originally. "Made in Japan" followed by "Made in Japan and Assembled in Korea" and lastly "Made in Koera from parts made in Japan". This is a most interesting development similar to the production of the Browning Gold. It became too expensive to manufacture the gun in Japan and so Miroku went to a source where there was less expensive labor. Nothing seems to change. Your gun was received in 1979 but was it manufactured in that year. Serial number will give some clue. Believe it or not the BSS was not a tremendous seller. The interest in side by sides was not what it is today. Your gun may have sat on a rack for a number of years. The Citori was becoming the hot gun by the end of the seventies as it was indeed a junior superposed with engraving and invector chokes in 12 guage starting in 1983. I have had gun shop owners tell me that by the end of production in 1987 you could hardly give one away. This says nothing about the BSS and its quality which remained high throughout production.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:42 pm 
Limited Edition

You paid way too much!!!! I'll give you $500 so you will feel better. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:47 pm 
Field Grade

Quote:
I recently purchased a 1974 Browning BSS in excellent condition for $675. It has 26" barrells and the non-selector switch with pistol grips. Chokes are IC/M.

I went to look at a different gun the guy was selling and fell in love with the sxs.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I like to say mine was the best $500. shotgun I bought :D

I have a 1971 28" 12gauge mod/full 2-3/4" chambers single
non-select trigger.bought in 1999 at 98%

"Tis better to miss with style,than to hit with bad form"-Colonel Peter Hawker

The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice-Fred Kimble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:30 pm 
Field Grade

My brother picked up a Browning BSS in 12 gauge with a pistol grip, non selective trigger, 28" barrels modified/full at a pawn shop for $400. This was about 10 years ago. It is a great shotgun, and it was a steal even back then.

Post subject: re: Browning BSS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:39 am 
Field Grade

WITH ALL YOU BROWNING BSS OWNERS OUT THERE, PERHAPS YOU CAN HELP ME LOCATE ONE. I AM LOOKING FOR A BSS, 12GA., GRADE II, WITH 30" BARRELS. PREFER ONE CHOKED MOD. OR TIGHTER. IF YOU HAVE ONE, OR KNOW OF ONE, I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. CURRENTLY I HAVE ONE WITH 26" BARRELS, CHOKED IC & MOD. I WOULD CONSIDER A POSSIBLE TRADE. THANKS