CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alcan cards and wads.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:06 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I just bought a bunch of stuff from an old friend who decided to get out of the loading game. I have a bunch of different Alcan over powder cards and wads and maybe some of the other Alcan plastic PGS and Combo wads in both 12 and 20 ga. I have an Alcan loading guide from 1967 if anybody needs some data on some old stock Alcan powder. I got a bunch or cans of it too, AL- 5, 7, and 8, 1/2 pounders and 3 pounders. I guess I'll be sorting it out this weekend. I don't have any need for the cards and wads so if anybody is interested, let me know and I'll get back with you on what I have as soon as I know for sure what's all in those two big boxes. :roll:

BP

Post subject: Re: Alcan cards and wads.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:50 pm 
Field Grade

If you have any 20 ga .125 card wads I'll take some.I was just getting ready to send to circle fly or ballistic products for them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BP,
Looks like you got "quite a haul" of goodies. :) I'm also interested in the 20 ga card wads. If you don't make a deal with nomad56 let me know.....Thanks

Happy shooting.......................Levi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

let me know if you have 20ga fiber/filler wads.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:33 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

It looks like most of it is 12 ga, like everything Alcan EVER made. All plastic wads, plastic wads with the felt in them, just the plastic over powder cup. I don't recall all the names on the boxes right this second. I even have some over shot cards. Yes I do have 20 ga nitro cards, maybe 2 different thicknesses and several boxes of fiber wads too. Blue streak I think they are called. I'll look specificaly on the 20 ga stuff and let you guys know what and how much of it I have. I still have several bags and boxes of the 12 ga stuff. I wonder if that wouldn't work well in muzzleloading shotguns with black powder?? I'll get bck to you a little later, I was just wondering if anybody DID have an interest in any of it before I fed it too the dumpster.

BP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Burnt, you can still put together good shooting loads with those components. There are many recipes listed in the Lyman Shotshell Manual, second edition. I can remember one load that I loaded back when I started reloading in the 70's, using a PGS gas seal on the powder, a couple of "bluestreak" fillers, and a "kuik-sert" shot strip. Those Kuik-serts were one of the first ways to shoot protected charges of pellets. Very slow to load, but they shot very well. I certainly agree that you can't beat modern wads for loading convenience, but I still like to load up a few shells the old way for grins once in a while. On the trap field, it surprises some shooters with the confetti coming out your barrel, which was a characteristic of shooting those type of loads. Anyway, once you have sorted things out, I will take whatever you have left, before it goes in the dumpster. Email me at tsullivan@fwi.com

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have just purchased a large supply of Alcan and Winchester felt and card wads. They are in their original boxes of 500. I mostly have the Alcan bluestreak. I have mostly 20 and 16 ga., but I also have 10, 11, and 12 ga.,but these are more limited.Anyone interested please contact me and I will fix you up. They are in excellent condition.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:42 pm 
Field Grade

Hey is there any thing on Alcan 101 shotgun powder? I have about 3 pounds of it and would like to use it up. My Herter's book only shows Alcan 120 powder, and 1 load for the 101. Where does it fall on the burn rate chart? Thanks Tmbrdl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I also have severl pounds of Al-7, AL-5 and AL-8 of powder if anyone is interested

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:18 am 
Field Grade

This must be "Alcan Week"!

I agree that Alcan components were great, even by today's standards. I wish they were still available.

Actually, some Alcan components, or their equivalents, are still available. Granted, Alcan powders are no longer available and require old loading data. (I would be a bit careful of such data, though. Some "old data" can be a bit "generous" when it comes to pressures compared to more recent specs.) Wads can be a different matter. Ballistic Products offers a replica of the Alcan PGS, I believe, and both BP and Circle Fly offer "stacked wad" components that are very similar to Alcan's. I wish "Kwik Serts" were still being offered.