It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Converting a Semi Auto Long Recoil gun
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Rem Sportsmen 48 that is very tired looking and I want to chop the barrel down from 29.5 to 18.5 to make it a defense gun. Can anyone tell me if I would loose too much recoil to operate the gun, e,g, fail to eject rounds and bring a new round into battery? Soft spring needed? Suggestions

Post subject: Re: Converting a Semi Auto Long Recoil gun
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:02 pm 
Limited Edition

I so converted a WWII era Remington 11 awhile back, & had no reliability issues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:41 pm 
Crown Grade

A shorter bbl means more muzzle blast/recoil, so if anything a shorter bbl in a recoil operated semi auto would actually function better and more reliably I would think. I may be wrong so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
MAGA = Morons Are Governing America
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I did the same thing with a Sportsman 48 that I picked up cheap with a Powerpak compensator on it. I drilled out the mag dimples to increase capacity and shortened the barrel. It cycles just fine after the change.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:43 am 
Utility Grade

hi everybody! i'm a new member of this forum! i'm from italy, so.. sorry for my language mistake!
i just purchased a used rem 11-48, in order to make the same job you are talking about but.. the previus owner get lost the barrel recoil spring cap and friction ring! i am now getting mad to find theese pieces because in italy are impossible to find! can anybody help me?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:38 am 
Crown Grade

No idea where you'd find those pieces in Italy, sorry, but the gun will work just fine that way (if you can work out those parts).
Since shipping from America may (it's stupid, but...) be a problem, you might hit up F.N. of Belgium maybe? They only made them for 70 years (yes, use Auto-5 parts, 1000 times easier to find)

I have a Remmy. 11R (original 18.5" riot gun), it works identically and equally reliably (as in absolutely reliable) as my 30" Browning Auto-5.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:52 pm 
Utility Grade

just found a set of spring and spring cap BRAND NEW in their box.. in italy! i need only the friction ring now!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Excellent, 3/4 the way there.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The main problem with these old guns is the natural fiber washer that acts as a shock absorber tends to deteriorate with age. Once they are gone you have metal slamming against metal and the bolt cracks and fails. ANY model 11 is way beyond old enough to need this part replaced.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:23 am 
Crown Grade

It’s possible that the friction pieces of the Franchi AL-48 will work. Those parts should be easily available in Italy.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:23 am 
Crown Grade

Rudolph31 wrote:
It’s possible that the friction pieces of the Franchi AL-48 will work. Those parts should be easily available in Italy.

Yes, that is very possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:01 pm 
Utility Grade

albiggi wrote:
just found a set of spring and spring cap BRAND NEW in their box.. in italy! i need only the friction ring now!

Try this site. https://www.gunbroker.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Try Numrich's. They have a lot of parts for old guns. New inventory coming in all the time.

Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:49 pm 
Crown Grade

evbutler wrote:
Try Numrich's. They have a lot of parts for old guns. New inventory coming in all the time.

Most stores won’t ship internationally. But Franchi and the OP are both Italian.