It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any luck owning a hunting dog living with cats?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

buckleyhesher wrote:
Crossing shot wrote:
It depends on you and your wife. If you are the leader of the pack, no problem. If you become agitated, most likely you have problems.

Me and my brother saw a dead cat heading out hunting. On the way back, a couple kittens were near the dead cat. We caught them. At my house, brother's GSP almost caught one. Brother said no then and a few more times at home. Now the kitten views the dog as its mother.

Good story. How do you teach a dog not to stalk or chase the cats at home? Just tell them No and pull on their leash when introducing them to the cat as a puppy? I don't want to become too agitated, but a dead cat will likely end in divorce. They are her children.

Th e leash and a "No Fur" command will let puppy know that cats are off limits.

The No Fur command can then be transferred to Squirrels, porcupines, deer... Other stuff that you don't want pup to chase.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I tell my dog "Leave it"

Works on everything from squirrels to socks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 pm 
Utility Grade

My Brittany and our cats love each other. She came into the house as a puppy, and the cats sorted her out right away with some etiquette lessons. Smooth sailing ever since.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 am 
Utility Grade

My experience has shown that if the cats are there first, as in your case you needn't worry about the dog harming them. As a pup it will recognize the cats as part of their pack. Like someone else mentioned, the dog will want to play with the cats but the cats won't want to. Our cats barely tolerated the dog, even though the dog really loved the cat. If the dog is there 1st the cat will play with the dog and they will grow very close to each other.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:58 pm 
Field Grade

This is an old thread but I’ll give my experience!

I know of three homes that are shared by dogs and cats. Probably more but three that come to mind.

My Grandfather has two cats, one Siamese and some other pure bred cat. He often had my Aunt’s Brittany over and she got along fine with the cats. The cats on the other hand were different. One of them got along with her fine and actually played with her. The Siamese did not want anything to do with her and she soon figured it out.

My Best friend has 4 cats! All taby’s. They also have a black lab living in the house. The dog gets along with the cats fine. 1 of the cats gets along with him well, 2 tolerate him, and 1 does not care for him.

The 3rd is a friend. She has 2 cats and a lab mix. Her dog was a rescue as were the cats. She brought the dog into the home and one of the cats attempts to dominate her all the time. Her male cat cares not for the dog and the dog is very intimidated by him. The female cat gets along with the dog just fine and they may even lay down together on the floor.

In all of their scenarios, they all had cats first.

In my honest experience, it will depend on your cat. Make sure your cat gets along with dogs first. A puppy that grows up with the cat already in the home should tend to do fine with it. Brittany’s and labs tend to get along fine with other animals IME.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 am 
Limited Edition

None what so ever once the dog killed the cat.
It depends on the breed, when they are introduced, the cat....it' a risk I would not take if you are even a bit concerned.