It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best alternative shotgun shells for cyotes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey i was woundering whta would be the best shotgun shell for cyotes/foxes, turkey 3" or 00 buck 3".

Thx

Post subject: Re: Best alternative shotgun shells for cyotes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:08 pm 
Field Grade

For coyotes I prefer to use #4 buck, hits hard and doesn't blow them apart

12 Gauge Remington 1100
12 Gauge Stoeger M3500
12 Gauge Benelli Nova
20 Gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster
NRA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:29 pm 
Limited Edition

A Hevi-shot load with BB would be the very best like a "Dead coyote" brand but at around $5 a shot I can't do that. Hornady coyote with plated BB are very good factory loads.
I reload and I load a federal 3 1/2 hull with 38 gr of steel powder and an 1 1/2 oz. of nickel plated lead "F" shot out of a extra full .689 choke with EXCELLENT results.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:43 pm 
Utility Grade

#4 buck is great for coyotes. No way am I willing to pay 44 bucks for "dead coyote" shells. Absolutely insane. Full choke with #4 buck does everything you need in the areas where you'd hunt with a shotgun for coyotes. That or BB as mentioned by 870Slugger above.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:14 pm 
Field Grade

I gotta try some BB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:33 pm 
Field Grade

Winchester has a new 12 ga varmint round called Varmint X, 3in. BB, have not been able to lay my hands on any but hope too. Prices very a lot but see them for about $1.50 ea. Plus shipping, hope my dealer can get them for that including shipping

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

sekgorilla wrote:
For coyotes I prefer to use #4 buck, hits hard and doesn't blow them apart

This is my opinion as well. I do have 3 different loads for coyotes though and often take all 3 when hunting rabbits/squirrel.

4 buck for all around, always 2-3 in my pocket in case I see one..

hornady heavy mag BB for when I'm around the cows

and always a 5 pack of 00B in the truck for when I see one on a hillside or sleeping in a pasture.

But again, if you are just wanting to toss something in your pocket incase you see one.. buy a box of 4Buck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:40 am 
Limited Edition

Parson wrote:
Winchester has a new 12 ga varmint round called Varmint X, 3in. BB, have not been able to lay my hands on any but hope too. Prices very a lot but see them for about $1.50 ea. Plus shipping, hope my dealer can get them for that including shipping

Ive played with these (Winchester Varmint-X) loads a little bit. So far they have been pretty impressive with patterning. ON PAPER I had an acceptable pattern at 60yds with a .665" Coyote choke by Carlson. This was shot from a 870 with a. 28" Carlson barrel.
I bought one box of the Hevi-shot Dead coyote T shells and yes they are expensive. They shoot and pattern great but for the price I cant justify buying another box.
Ill stick with the Winchester Varmint-X for now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:03 pm 
Field Grade

Lefty2barrels wrote:
Parson wrote:

Ive played with these (Winchester Varmint-X) loads a little bit. So far they have been pretty impressive with patterning. ON PAPER I had an acceptable pattern at 60yds with a .665" Coyote choke by Carlson. This was shot from a 870 with a. 28" Carlson barrel.
I bought one box of the Hevi-shot Dead coyote T shells and yes they are expensive. They shoot and pattern great but for the price I cant justify buying another box.
Ill stick with the Winchester Varmint-X for now.

Well I bought a whole case of them ($135) and finally got to pattern them, but first let me bore you with my buckshot story. A couple years ago I set out to find a solid 50 yard coyote load. I had a 10 ga. BPS and a Beretta Xtrema II 12 ga. I went through two bags of nickel plated #4 buck in the 10 ga and never found a load and choke combination (3 after market chokes plus factory) that gave me confidence. Read and followed everything Ballistic Products said and sold, nothing to brag about. I only used factory ammo in the twelve. Tried everything I could find on the shelf in both #4 and OO, 5 after market chokes plus factory, again, nothing that gave me confidence at 50 yards. When I test for a coyote load I use a full size coyote silhouette cutout, spray paint the outline on brown construction paper. I want at least 5 pellets in the kill zone but consider 4 tolerable. I know 50 yards is stretching it but in almost 50 years I have never had a 30 yard coyote. So how did the new Winchester Coyote BB stuff work, not fantastic but better than any factory I have used with the possible exception of Heavey Shot Dead Coyote. Using 2 targets each, My Pattern master .714 put 3&4 in kill zone, Dead Coyote .671 put 4&5 in kill zone, Drake Killer .690 put in 5&6, Optima 4&5 but my BlackCloud .713 put 7&8 in. I know only 2 test shots is not difinitive but that's it for now. Just for grins and chuckles I tried the Carlsons Black Cloud at 30 yards. I quit counting at 30 in the whole target with 15 in the kill zone. The only question I have is how much difference in penetration between #4 buck and BB?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

That is my concern with the Varmint X loads. The technology has proven itself in the patterning of the Winchester longbeard shells as far as density. But does anyone have any numbers comparing penetration of BB vs. #4 buck at 50 yards (or farther)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:49 am 
Presentation Grade

I use 3" #1 buckshot, 3" #4 buckshot, 3"#4 turkey loads, and 3" lead BB loads