CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choice of 10 Gauge Shotgun for Turkey Hunting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,
I'm new to the forums,and have learned alot from the posts and have enjoyed them as well.
I am interested in purchasing a 10 gauge shotgun for Turkey Hunting.I have narrowed my selection to:
Browning 10 gauge NWTF BPS and Remington SP10. I will be using a Rhino Choke tube and Nitro Ammo.
I would appreciate any input in regards to your experiences with either gun and information as to their reliability and durability as well as quality of construction.In addition please advise as to any issues with either gun.I am currently using a Remington SPS 870 26" 3.5" chamber( Rhino .660 choke with Nitro 4x5x7 Heavyshot) and want the 10 gauge as an alternative.I have also considered getting a Browning BPS NWTF 12 gauge 3.5" chamber if the 10 gauge is strongly advised against for valide rationales.Thanks for your input and assistance.

Post subject: Re: Choice of 10 Gauge Shotgun for Turkey Hunting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:05 pm 
Limited Edition

The 870 3.5" is all the gun you will ever need for turkey. They are not indestructible. Many are taken with 12 ga 2 3/4" and 3"....... as well as 20 ga.
If you want a new 10 ga. and just need an excuse then turkey is as good as any. Really dont need it though.,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:17 pm 

I don't think you need a 10 gauge or even a 3 1/2" 12 for turkeys. I myself like the 3 1/2" 12 for waterwowl and turkey. I did take a tom last year with a 3" gun at a rather long range.
The advantage of the 10 over the 12 3 1/2" is it will usally, but not always pattern better with large pellets and/or large ounce shot charges.
The advantage of the 3 1/2" 12 is lighter weight. If you have a long walk you better put wheels on that SP10 and pull it cause it weighs a ton. The 12 is much more versatile as you can shoot a wider range of shells. In a pintch I would use a 3 1/2" 12 for upland. The 12 is less expesive to shoot. Shells are more available and more choices for the 12. There are more choices in guns for the 3 1/2" 12 than a 10.
In the end you should get what you want. After all, you're the one laying out the cash and using it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I turkey hunted several years with my Ithaca Mag-10 and was glad to finally use up the turkey shells I had for the gun. As mentioned above, it is rather heavy if you have to carry it much and it gets even heavier when you're holding it at the shoulder waiting for the turkey to give you a decent shot. The BPS would be better in this regard than the SP-10 but both are heavy compared to most 12 ga guns. I switched to a 12 ga gun, first a Beretta 390, then a Winchester SX-2 for a couple years, and now this year I'll try a Mossberg 835 with 3" shells. Weight is a concern, too much is a real pain.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:22 am 
Tournament Grade

They're right, you don't NEED a 10 gauge shotgun.....

But then again you probibly don't NEED a V-8 engine if all you do with your car is commute to work.....

I have a Spanish 10 Ga SxS that I inherited from my father-in-law (son-in-law was afraid of it, as the father-in-law kept it as the "oh you forgot your gun for hunting, well I have a spare gun for ya!" :D )

Anyhoo, I do reload for it, so I'm not always shooting 2oz and 2 1/4 oz loads from it all the time. If you're gonna reload 2-7/8" shells, then I'd get the pump, because then you're not bustin your hump all the time shooting full house loads and the gas action on the semi autos need the full volume from the heavy loads to cycle reliably.

There's not too much difference between the 3.5" 12 Ga and 3.5" 10 Ga other than the intimidation factor these days..... :P

There is also some very nice reload info for the 10 ga, so if you want something different get the 10 ga.

Mike Doerner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:03 am 
Field Grade

Best gun purchase in my life was a winchester model 100 in .284 for $350, next is the gold 10 lite with 26" barrel. PERFECT for turkeys and for some reason the geese keep falling. BTW- the longest shot on a rio has been all of 15 yards and that was a cleanup for my son kinda nicking the bird in the background.Anyways~ the gold 10 lite is an excellent chioce and the 24" barrel ISN't. Here's my reason; the long reciever and lop on the gun kinda make it longer than a "normal" 24" barreled shotgun, but take away some of the other hunting possibilities available with a 26" barrel. NOPE I didn't purposely buy a 26" barrel on mine but had to settle for it and am sure thankful that's what I ended up with.BTW2- my other gold 10 has the 30" cannon :o sure wish beretta would get a 10 out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:16 pm 
Field Grade

I have the gold 10 with the 30" barrel and shoot nitro 000 and 00 buck shot throught it for deer hunting with dogs , and Federal # 4's for turkey with a .680 Pure Gold choke .All I can say is WOW it's heavy but very very worth it. I chose it over the SP 10 because of the capacity (it will hold 5 v/s 3) may not be important to you I don't know.The only thing I had to get used to was the saftey in front of the trigger.Great Gun