It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shot size for raccoons?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 am 
Utility Grade

Shot a big 'un last night. Old Winchester 1897 stuffed with WW Super X 1 1/4 ounce of #2. Only took one shot out of the top of big hickory tree in the back yard. When he hit the roof of the chicken coop he bounced 3' in the air. #2's seemed to do the job. In the past I have used from BB to #6's, all seem to have done the job with few follow up shots needed. Personally I prefer the 1 1/8 ounce BB that I usually use for "nocturnal guests" around my livestock, and they have not disappointed. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than #4 unless you're close (under 25 yards) and have a quick second shot. And a sidebar to all the guys saying .22 is the only way: I've head shot a lot of coon, possum, fox, etc with .22 short and long rifle. Generally always required a second finishing shot, if shot at any distance. Maybe I'm just not a good enough rifleman, but unless they're caught in a trap and I can put the rifle barrel to their head, I prefer the scattergun. Now for squirrels, .22 short is the way to go. Lots of fun and very little noise.

Mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:55 pm 
Field Grade

MacAR- is that 1-1/8 oz of BB a factory offering?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Hal4son wrote:
MacAR- is that 1-1/8 oz of BB a factory offering?

Yes, actually it is. However, I haven't the foggiest idea where you can get anymore of it! It's called Melior, loaded in Spain I think. I happened on 2 cases of it at a gun show a few years ago and bought both for less than what a case of trap loads would've cost. So far they've proved more than adequate for what I do and I have no worries firing them in my old (1940 and back) guns. My go-to late night varmint gun was a Belgian hammer gun, until recently, when I acquired an 1897 Winchester in excellent (albeit refinished) shape; and that only because it holds 4 more shots than the hammer gun!
Anyhow, hope that was what you were looking for. If you happen to find any of the Melior ammo online please let me know, I would love to find some more. My stock is getting sort of low now and I'd like to replenish it.

Mac

UPDATE: LuckyGunner has 1 1/8 oz of BB from Eley, which looks identical to the Melior. Makes me think it may be rebranded. Link here: https://www.luckygunner.com/12-gauge-2- ... -25-rounds

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:11 pm 
Field Grade

Like the idea of storming the chicken coop with a vintage SxS hammer gun.
Late night raiders beware!

I pulled some old 10 gauge hulls apart and reclaimed the #2 lead. I just don't have much use for 2 ozs of lead 2's at this point. Loaded up some 7/8 oz, 20 gauge hulls for late night visitors. Puts up a surprisingly good pattern for 72 pellet load. Delivery system is a youth model H&R single shot that I'm keeping in the shop.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Reminds me of when I was raising up my boys. We sold the coon hides for $18.00 if no holes were in it. So, we used .22 LR HP and did our best to make head shots.. I wouldn't shot any game animal, or non-game, with a solid point .22. Stingers are good but not on squirrel. Tears them up too much unless you can make head shots. Pretty hard to do on a running squirrel.

I use only hollow points for all my .22 shooting.

I have killed a few pesky coons with 1 1/4 oz.#6 shot at 30 yards. Did a good job, too.

Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:57 pm 
Utility Grade

"Like the idea of storming the chicken coop with a vintage SxS hammer gun.
Late night raiders beware!"

You'd be surprised at just how effective that old 1925 hammergun is on late-night raiders. Put it this way: I've never had one get away from it, regardless of what it was loaded with. I've had the old girl for some time now. Bought it really cheap and re-finished the wood and cleaned up the metal. The action is in the white but the barrels still have some blue left on them, not much but some. The bores are pretty pitted though, and I've already tightened it up once, so I don't shoot it like I'd like to. I did go 100 straight with it last weekend on "pasture trap" while practicing with my kid brother's HS trap team. Old gal put a couple "B" guns to shame. :mrgreen:

Mac