It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Buckshot for moose hunting
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:20 pm 
Crown Grade

iloveguns wrote:
The regulations say that you have to use at least 20 gauge with #1 buckshot.this will be my first year hunting moose and because I use buckshot for deer. I thought I would see what people think about using it for calf moose. I wasn't planning on using it but thought I'd ask. And as for randy, that is the way he is, rude. You should read what he was saying on another thread . I think it was called ''your buckshot field experience''. Also just to be clear,when I said about using buckshot I didn't mean the cheap stuff. If I did use it for moose I would use 3 1/2'' with a large pellet, probably 000B in 12 gauge. Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Just because the regs say it is legal, doesn't make it the best choice, just the minimal legal requirement. 12 gauge slug or rifle for thew quarry you mention would be ethical, quick and successful.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B-Boy wrote:
I've got to agree with Randy. As hunters, our job is to put down the game animal quickly and cleanly. Never go into the field under-gunned. Given the game animal you'll be hunting and the range you plan to shoot, a slug would be a vast improvement over buckshot. However, if given the option, I would still choose a rifle. Your calf moose might be bigger than some of the deer you have harvested in the past.

Very well put!

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:11 pm 
Field Grade

I'm not sure if you read all of what I said. I said the minimal I would use would be 12 gauge 3 1/2'' with a larger size of buckshot. Thank you for everyone's opinions. I do agree a rifle or slugs would be best but I wanted to know because I wanted to use something familiar to me. Like I said before, I have always used shotguns for hunting small game and deer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:53 am 
Crown Grade

We read what you posted; and we are all telling you NOT to use buckshot but use slugs or a rifle. Like your shotgun, go find a few brands of slugs and see which one(s) give you the best accuracy.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:50 am 
Field Grade

You said the minimal is not the best choice. I agree, I even said I would use more than 20 gauge with #1 buck. I am going to use a rifle, I just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think you'll be happy with the results if you're fortunate enough to get a shot with your .30 Remington rifle. Good luck with the hunt, iloveguns, and please let us know all about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:33 pm 
Field Grade

Lossking, I will and thank you very much

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, I will give an opinion, it might be slightly contradictory to the general consensus. If shots are taken broadside or a slight quartering angle into the ribs (not shoulder) @ ranges below 40 yds with a well patterned 3 or 3.5" hardened or copper 000 buck load 12 ga load and not a lot of saplings in the way, then the load should do the job. The size of the ribs of a moose is considerably large. Large enough to put all the pellets in the rib cage. The buckshot should have the power to go through the green ribs and definitely through the slats. Once it hits the lungs it should have no problem getting to the other side of the ribs. You may even get one or two in the liver.

The 30 Remington is on par with the 30-30. Saying that at its velocity it is not going to leave any much more than a slightly larger tunnel wound. If it hits the heavy shoulder on a bull the bullet will be more like the buckshot by the time it gets into the boiler room. With the worn barrel and factory ammo the velocity might be down to the 1700 to 1800 fps range. With the 170gr ammo it should still go through both sides of the rib cage. What will the tracking be like. With either the 30 rem or buckshot there will probably be hardly any blood and tracking involved. I would not shoot for the neck with the buckshot as it might not penetrate to the neckbone. The 30 rem should penetrate to the neckbone with a calculated accurate shot.

Just for the heck of it, does any manufacture make a 3.5" 000 buck load? I know it comes in a 3" version. If you reload, then you could bring up the velocity on the 000 buck 3.5" load. With quick follow up shots you could put a decent payload in the LUNGS.

Now, depending on if you reload or go factory might make a difference as well in any scenario. Another concept to think about is the Dixie TriBall load which should extend your range a bit and be pretty effective.

Slugs are or could be a well deserved thought, maybe the best of all considered weaponry. Though, slug consideration would be wise depending on the style of hunt to be subjected to. The regular foster style might not be the best choice if a bull or large cow is encountered in a quartering to position. A bit depends on the configuration of your shotty. Smoothbore, rifled, bead, scoped, irons, etc. would have a bearing on the style of slug used. For instance, a lot of the saboted ammo is basically conformed for whitetails. A moose is about 10 times the size of a whitetail and its shoulder section which is on the end that you will most likely be shooting at is of heavy structure. Something like the Hornady SST sabot might be a little to fragile for the heavy shoulder of a moose, but for an angled rib shot should be pretty adequate. Brenneke should have something that may be suitable. Lightfields have a good array of slugs that should do the job and those similar in that type slug structure. A Federal sabot slug should to the job. There are of course many premium brand slugs like the CT styles that you would not have to worry about any angle you shoot from. When it comes to reloading the slug a Lyman or Lee cast in 50/50 should have no trouble taking on a moose at the ranges those slugs are designed for.

JMHO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:28 pm 
Field Grade

OnHoPr That was very helpful. Thank you for all of the information. I do reload buckshot. I think I will try the 30 Remington this year but I will have to reload some 3 1/2'' 000B and see if I could get a load good for moose. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:57 am 
Presentation Grade

iloveguns wrote:
OnHoPr That was very helpful. Thank you for all of the information. I do reload buckshot. I think I will try the 30 Remington this year but I will have to reload some 3 1/2'' 000B and see if I could get a load good for moose. Thanks.

If you take your time and pick your shot, the buckshot will do the job.
A 12ga. shotgun loaded with buckshot at 30 yds or less is deadly on any thing that walks, crawls, or flies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

1st: Per your request: NO!
2ND: You need a hunters safety and ethics class!
3rd: If you cross paths with a Warden and tell him you are hunting bear or moose with a shotgun he will write you a citation for something. What I don't know, but for something.
4th: Please purchase a rifle and learn how to use it. There aren't that many things that can give a man as much pleasure as having an animal drop in it's tracks or run and then fall dead for lack of a heart, or other well placed shot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Texas Yankee wrote:
1st: Per your request: NO!
2ND: You need a hunters safety and ethics class!
3rd: If you cross paths with a Warden and tell him you are hunting bear or moose with a shotgun he will write you a citation for something. What I don't know, but for something.
4th: Please purchase a rifle and learn how to use it. There aren't that many things that can give a man as much pleasure as having an animal drop in it's tracks or run and then fall dead for lack of a heart, or other well placed shot.

So, the OP needs a safety and ethics course because he wants to hunt calf moose with buckshot? Care to tell us what's unsafe and unethical about it?

And since regulations in Ontario, where he hunts, permit buckshot, why would a warden issue him a citation?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I didn't say he was unsafe or unethical, i merely wrote he should take a hunters safety course which will have some ethics of hunting encompassed in the program.
With him never hunting big game with a shot gun, it would be more than reasonable to first task yourself with the best equipment for the job as a new person to each species.
Lastly first time out for big game there may be some lack of abilities to distinguish what animal qualifies as a calf vs a young adult.
If one has to ask such a question he has doubts himself or he wouldn't have posted his concerns. If he had only one gun and it was a scatter gun and needed to put meat on the table I would give him the green light. Based on his original post, I won't do that. A hunters safety class will likely provide him with information that will better enable him to make an informed decision. Maybe they will tell him to use a shotgun. I would be interested to know the answer to that question. Are there any hunter safety instructors reading the post that can provide an opinion?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:40 pm 
Limited Edition

In the classes I teach I recommend using a firearm that will quickly and humanely dispatch the animal. Match the caliber/projectile to the animal. If you don't have the right equipment, get it or don't go. I don't typically suggest that anyone use buckshot for the reasons that the OP noted, the need for a quick shot in heavy brush. My HS instructor alarms go off when I hear that as the reason for selecting buckshot over a slug or bullet.
If there is not a clear and good shot to be taken, no shot should be taken. If adequate time is not present then there is no shot. Hunting incidents happen when hunters try to make an opportunity where there isn't one. We all know the drill and that you must know your target and beyond...

Moose (and bear over bait as is done in Ontario) don't typically present a crisis shot situation. Calf moose are as dumb as stumps and will stand in front of you all day long if you don't present a threat. You will have time to see it, sight on it and shoot it...if that situation does not present itself then there was no shot to be taken.
Bear over bait will typically give you more than enough time to wait for a good shot...again, if not then there was no shot.
IMHO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Texas Yankee wrote:
...With him never hunting big game with a shot gun...

I believe the OP stated that he only hunts with a shotgun and had used it in the past on Whitetail deer. He also stated he was going after a calf moose, not a cow or bull.

BTW, I did a little research. I calf moose can weight 300-400 lbs by the time it's a year old according to the Maine dept of fish and game. The weight alone confirms my initial recommendation. I think buckshot is a bad idea for an animal that size. Especially when slugs are available and more ethical.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:41 am 
Diamond Grade

Just a dumb question, I've never hunted moose or bear, but why would you go out for the purpose of shooting a CALF moose? Wouldn't a mature animal be more favorable?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:21 am 
Diamond Grade

I can tell you the adults are delicious, I put it on top of the meat list for me. A young one, I can't imagine how tender that would be, just a superb meat. You won't find many moose hunters giving it away.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Texas Yankee wrote:
I can tell you the adults are delicious, I put it on top of the meat list for me. A young one, I can't imagine how tender that would be, just a superb meat. You won't find many moose hunters giving it away.

Moose veal....that would be quite amazing to fill a freezer with. Moose is (in my opinion) the best tasting wild game. I'm hoping to get my name pulled in the moose lottery one of these years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

iloveguns wrote:
I decided this fall I will try moose hunting. I know I will be getting a calf tag so keep in mind I will not be shooting a bull or cow. Where I hunt the bush is thick and the farthest shot possible is about 75 yards but most spots even shorter. If I do use buckshot I will wait for a closer shot. So I am thinking of using a shotgun with buckshot either 00B or 000B. I want to know what everyone else thinks about using buckshot on a calf moose, if it would be good enough. Thanks for any suggestions and information.

I would suggest using the largest commercially available buckshot pellet size. That is Dixie Tri-Ball Buckshot (three hardcast .60"/ 320 grain pellets @ 1100 fps).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:56 am 
Diamond Grade

I can not agree more with Randy!!!

The moose deserves better than buckshot!!!!

You talk like a White Man!

leomat