It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Buckshot for moose hunting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:30 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

oneounceload wrote:

Just because the regs say it is legal, doesn't make it the best choice, just the minimal legal requirement. 12 gauge slug or rifle for thew quarry you mention would be ethical, quick and successful.

The most common shotgun slugs in the U.S. are hollow soft lead thimbles known as "rifled slugs." These simply don't have sufficient penetration for game the size of moose.

Just as there are poor rifle, handgun, shotgun slug and buckshot choices for large game there are also rifle calibers, handgun calibers, shotgun slugs and buckshot sizes well suited for the task.

Last edited by RMc on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Buckshot for moose hunting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

As Emgerrish said: "moose veal, quite amazing," a culinary ecstasy what a thought! I guess we need to discuss some recipes for this. I say 2 btls of a fine red wine should first be selected and the main course prepared around that.
This particular meal, being moose calf should be shown adequate respect: I think a formal meal with white table cloth, cloth napkins, candles, two or three different red wines, home made bread light but not to light, a nice salad, not iceberg, maybe some hearts of palms, a homemade tomato bisque then the moose, what cut should be start with? Oh let take some of that liver and make some pate, yes moose calf liver pate! Anyone hungry yet? That should be served on a freshly baked roll with hard outer crust, center removed. Bust open that first btl of red please. Now you could pickle the heart and serve that ahead of the pate,yes that get my vote as well!

TX Yankee standing down, chef please come forward!

Next please, some one tell me how you would like your moose veal cooked, main course!