It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions on Adamy O/U
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

A friend has asked me to price a very nice Gebrueder Adamy boxlock O/U that he is considering selling. I could use some second opinions. No pictures are available but it is a very clean gun. I understand Adamy is still in business, pushing 175 years with their quality small shop. This gun is a merkel clone made in the 50's. I'm wondering if some of the things that seem to be negatives for me, might be positives for collectors.

It is a 16 gauge, 34 inch solid ribbed barrels, full chokes, double triggers, ejectors, semi-pistol grip, sculpted German cheek piece, horn butt, shootable modern dimensions. It has full gamescene engraving with silver highlights. The forearm is a tapered three piece. The stock is only slightly figured, but the shaping was obviously done by a master. The diamond side panels come to a point over an ebony inlay and are sculpted together.

Give me some insight on price range and I'll see how close I was on my first assessment.

Post subject: Re: Opinions on Adamy O/U
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm 
Limited Edition

I'll take a stab at this. For the normal US hunter, this gun has a number of negatives starting with the double triggers...the cheek piece....and inlays. The 34" barrels are very unusual and I'm guessing this gun may have done double duty as a trap gun. German guns usually come in 68, 70, 72 and 76 cm. This is an 80cm gun (34") and would have been a special order (waterfowl gun?). What is LOP....this could also be an issue as many German guns have a short LOP and a lot of drop. The gun is an odd ball and will need an appropriate buyer. My guess on price......under $2K and could go under $1500 until it sells.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the prompt response Karl.
You hit on several of the things I saw as negatives. But as you say those long barrels make it more rare, which could work the other way. That is why I am asking you guys. I spend most of my time on another site, and I know how lame it is when someone wants an appraisal. I am really just trying to find a range and make sure I am not overlooking some insider info on a German gun.

This wasn't used as a trap gun because there is not enough wear. Probably driven game.
My understanding is that Adamy is a small shop and everything is custom one off. I may be one of the few, but I like ebony inlays at the tip of a schnabel , and like this one, just the hint of a dot behind the side panels... merely to prove the preciseness of the inletting. They are definitely a european touch, but heck I like them on L.C. Smiths.
LOP is over 14 and drop is not excessive.
Anyone else want to weigh in? I confess, so far I am above the estimate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Adamy, Gebr. in Suhl One of the few remaining small gun shops in Suhl !
http://adamy-jagdwaffen.de/index.php?se ... fen&spr=en
Windeweg 3, D-98527, Suhl, Germany
www.adamy-jagdwaffen.de
info@adamy-jagdwaffen.de
Tel. 011-49-3681-309157

The Gebrueder Adamy Company (Adamy Brothers) was founded in 1921 and continues to make fine guns under Helmut Adamy and his son Sven, the seventh generation of gun makers. They can make most of the guns Suhl became well known for. During the years of Russian occupation and a Communist Government their guns were marketed by the BüHag (Büchsenmacher Handwerk Genossenschaft), a cooperative for the smaller gun shops.

Previous limited importation by New England Custom Gun Service, located in Claremont, NH, previously located until 2010 in Plainfield, NH.

H&K/Benelli SBE
Benelli Super Vinci APG
Benelli M2 American 20ga.
Sig/B.Rizzini TR20U O/U 20ga
Sig/B.Rizzini TT 45 O/U 20ga.