It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Merkel model 8
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was lucky enough to get a model 8 built in 1993 that was "as new" and had never been fired. I put an end to that unfortunateness today, checking the function on a few spring trap birds and then shooting a round of skeet. My shooting wasn't exemplary, but the function of the gun was (of course). I haven't gotten a recoil pad put on it yet to lengthen the stock (I am 6'4") but I used a strap on leather pad. Once I get the permanent pad installed I can get a better idea of where I am shooting with the gun and work on a more consistent mount.

I bought the gun without knowing much about it, just from pictures. I got it for a good price and figured I could have the chokes opened up to what I wanted, but they are factory imp cyl and mod, which is what I prefer. I expected tighter chokes judging from other guns that I saw for sale online. There are also no sling swivels, and no cheek piece. Had I ordered the gun that is exactly how I would have wanted it. It is also 3" chambers, which I didn't expect. It is just under 6 1/2 pounds, so recoil is a bit stout with 1 1/8 ounce 3 dram target loads. While it wasn't uncomfortable to shoot I am hoping the pad negates some of the recoil as well.

I also hunt over a Drahthaar, so it is about time I carried a German gun to match.

CHAZ

Post subject: Re: New Merkel model 8
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Excellent choice, the model 8 is my favorite field gun and I love the extractor system, I've gotten so used to slipping the spent shells in my game pouch that I never leave spent shells in the field. I have a model 8 in 12 Gauge which see's some SC's use, but my 20 Gauge is my go to hunting shotgun.

While the Drahtaar is well matched to the gun, my poor French Brit's have to suffer the indignation of a foreign gun as I refuse to use any other gun for my Mearn's hunts. I love the style, grace and reliability of my Merkel's.

You chose well in dog and gun, they both will serve you well for many years.

Gene