It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Shotgun & Gunfitter in Colorado?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Everyone! I am looking into getting my first shotgun. I am a petite 5'1" woman and am thinking of getting the Browning Cynergy Micro Midas. I do want to take it to a gunfitter and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for a gunfitter in Colorado that has experience fitting guns to women? I am in Denver, but I am willing to drive out to nearby states too (Wyoming, Kansas, Utah) if need be.

Post subject: Re: First Shotgun & Gunfitter in Colorado?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:37 pm 

You may also want to look around for the info on the Syren shotgun that is made for women. I have no clue as to the price comparison, but it does give you another choice.

https://syrenusa.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I have looked at them, but they are a bit out of my price range for an O/U :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:13 pm 
Utility Grade

You also may want to look at the SKB - they make a "reduced length" - it was about the same size as the Micro Midas for me - and came with an adjustable comb and butt plate. It felt better in my hands than the Browning so I went with it. Certainly won't be my last gun (already shopping for my next) but it's a great first gun with a lot of value.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:02 pm 
Crown Grade

It will be best to have a well developed gun mount prior to seeking the assistance of a gunfitter. Many times a gunfitting becomes a lesson in fundamentals.

NSCA Level II Instructor
CSM/TRACS Certified Instructor
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Lady J! I'll take a look at them.

Cfoster, sounds good. I'll probably be shooting a bunch before I make it out to a gunfitter anyway, but I will make sure I feel comfortable with the gun and shooting it before I take it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I beg to differ.

My advice is to either get good instruction immediately so you know the right way to stand, mount the gun and shoot. That will indicate to a good instructor what needs to be done to make the gun fit .

Or, visit a good stock fitter and he will teach you how to stand and how to mount the gun. He will then change your stock's dimensions so you can follow his shooting form instructions.

If you shoot a gun that does not fit you, you will develop bad habits. You will fit yourself to the gun, meaning that you will contort your shooting form, which is not the way to start out shooting.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:01 am 
Tournament Grade

you said the Syren was out of your price range. I see you are looking at the browning and stock work. I picked up the Syren Elos sporting for my wife for $2299 I think you will be close to that with the browning.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Rollin - thanks for the advice! I have taken an Introductory class where we went over mount and I do find that the proper mount is uncomfortable for me.

Migunshooter - thanks, when I factor in gun fitting you are correct, it is pushing me into Syren price range. I was hoping to get a browning during a promotion or sale (Gander had a 20% off any firearm during Memorial Day weekend which brought their price down to ~1300) and I was thinking of budgeting ~500 for a fitting. I will think more about the Elos, it is a very nice looking gun! I just wish I could try shooting these shotguns or even just holding them to get a better idea, but I haven't had any luck finding any guns near by.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Consider looking for major shoots, both NSSA and NSCA. Often the gun manufacturers will have reps there who will bring guns they will let you test drive. If you can get to the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio during big shoots, there will be a whole row of gun vendors. Also, Caesar Guerini has a calendar on its website where it lists where its folks are going to be. MAJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I found the Syren demo days, hopefully they come here sometime! I'll have to check out the major shoots here too. Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 am 
Utility Grade

Majekins - Thanks so much for your advice! As it turns out I'm going to be in Austin for a wedding at the end of October and I'll have enough time to go to San Antonio during the National Sporting Clays Championship! Hopefully I'll get to try out some shotguns then!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cool! The October NSCA and NSSA big shoots in San Antonio are amazing--lots of dealers and lots of demo guns. MAJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

Rick Moore working out of "Great Guns" in Nunn, Colorado is a great smith and has a lot of female clients.I am sure he can fit your gun.970-488-0556 ramshotz@niteshadow.com
Very honest about his smithing and a great coach.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Colobreez

I'd also look at the Cynergy CX and the Browning Crossover/CX. The stock can easily be adjusted to fit.

And read Rollins post about "why stocks fit lady's and youths" which I think is in the "Women's" shooters forum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 am 
Crown Grade

Colobreeze, my wife was very pleased with the gent that works out of Kiowa Sporting, just 20 min from Parker.

I'm blanking on his name right now, but if you contact Kiowa, they can help point you in the right direction. Good luck, and welcome to the game!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:11 am 
Utility Grade

I think the gunfitter rooster booster is talking about is Al Meyers and his business is Dusted Clays outfitters and repair. He's a dealer for syren and caesar guerini.