CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Remove Limiter from Beretta 391
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:42 pm 
Does anyone have detailed instruction on how to remove the plug/limiter on a Beretta 391 Teknys?

I'd like to increase the capacity from 2 in the magazine to 3.

I know . . . the manual says to take it to a gunsmith.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: How to Remove Limiter from Beretta 391
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Anyone? I'm interested in doing this as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:14 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

You might have better luck asking in the Gunsmithing forum.

I don't know how Berettas are put together. On my Winchester you simply pry out the steel plug at the end of the mag tube (while keeping the mag spring and "limiter" under control), remove the limiter, and reinstall the mag tube plug. I have no idea if the procedure is even similar on a Beretta.

-- Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok i fugured it out

**** This if for information purposes only. I make no guarantees. Try at your own risk *****

*****The Magazine spring is compressed SO BE CAREFUL when you unscrew the Magazine end tube. ******

Get a manual for the 390 it has better instructions.

(Look in the AL391 Manual for reference)
1. Remove the Fore-End-Cap (I)
2. Remove Rore-End (D)
3. Remove Piston (B3)
4. Looking at the end of the Magazine tube (E), (where it meets the Magazine tube end cap (F)) You will see a little button on the side of the Magazine tube. You need to press this in while turning the Magazine tube end counter clockwise.
-- I used the two wrenches that came with the gun. One can be used to press the button, while the other can turn the Magazine end tube. (At the end of the Magazine end tube there is a notch the the wrench will fit in so you can turn it)

Just to make sure:
*****The Magazine spring is compressed SO BE CAREFUL when you unscrew the Magazine end tube. *****

You can figure the rest out on your own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:58 am 
There is a little clippie that holds a thin aluminum rod just tap it out w/ a small hammer (towards the gas assembly away from the end that had threads)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Your 391 should have come with an extra rod which you had no use for..... until now. That is the replacement for the one you are removing. It is a shorter rod and it allows you to get one more shell into the magazine. So after you take the clip off of the installed rod, you need to put the shorter rod in place and replace the clip.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:15 am 
Utility Grade

This works to get to the rod but my short rod was already in and it limited me to only 2 shells in the magazine. I have to take the rod completly out to get 3 shells in.

Is this right? Out it together with no rod?

Thanks,

William

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:35 am 
Diamond Grade

I haven't actually made this change on my gun, so I'm not sure if you run with no rod, or just a shorter one. Sorry, wish I could help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:09 am 
Limited Edition

Casual Shooter wrote:
Your 391 should have come with an extra rod which you had no use for..... until now. That is the replacement for the one you are removing. It is a shorter rod and it allows you to get one more shell into the magazine.

My gun came installed with a limiter rod that made the gun's capacity 2+1, while the longer rod that was included in the case would limit the gun to a 1+1 capacity (magazine+chamber, of course.) Perhaps, the sporting model Teknys comes with the longer rod installed, since 3 shot capacities are never necessary in the target sports.

I have, just this past week in fact, replaced the original limiter with the longer one, thus voluntarilly limiting the capacity of my 391 to 2 shells. I did this for several reasons, which would be a thread by itself.

The 3+1 configuration would mean going without any rod. My concern is eliminating the role of the rod sealing the threaded shaft and thus keeping gas and debris from entering the magazine tube. Perhaps the forend cap serves this purpose, but it might be a good idea, I believe, to seal the shaft if a limiter rod is to be left out of the gun.

I'd like to see suggestions for replacing the lock washer gizmo (that is damaged somewhat when removing and replacing from the limiter rod) with a bushing with a set screw, for easier changing of the magazine capacity on our beloved King of Gas Guns.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:11 am 
Since the forearm cap prevents movement of the limiter, whats the point in putting the locking washer on the rod. I removed the limiter altogether on my Teknys and have noticed no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Gunnuts wrote:
Since the forearm cap prevents movement of the limiter, whats the point in putting the locking washer on the rod. I removed the limiter altogether on my Teknys and have noticed no problems.

That makes sense, although it would be one loose item that would be otherwise securely attached to the gun, when it is not in its assembled state.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:57 am 
I have been running my 391 switching the rod in and out for a year now and have had no problems. I just unscrew the cover cap and slip the limit rod in to be legal when I am duck hunting.
I have done nothing to restabilize the rod when I put it back in and it works fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:25 am 
Utility Grade

I was having a look at this as well.

Would it be an option to take an angle grinder to the rod that's installed from the factory and cut about 2" off it, which would allow the extra 2 3/4" shell? You'd still have the rod in place, to keep dirt out etc., and you'd do no damage to the washer.

Since my gun is fairly new and not fully 'broken in' I don't want to go voiding my warranty. I could always stick in the extra long limiter if it needed to go back to Beretta.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm sure that removing the plug would not void the warranty, because it does not affect the functioning of the gun at all. The gun is designed to work properly without the plug.

I did the same thing several of the others said they did - just pulled the lock-washer off and left the plug out. If I ever need it to be legal while hunting, I'll just remove the cap, drop the plug down in there, and put the cap back on. What could be simpler?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:47 am 
Utility Grade

I took out the plug. Easy job and so simple to replace.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ditto. Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Getting the rod out of the black plastic base????
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:07 pm 
Field Grade

I've read the entire thread but I am still having problems. What exactly is holding in the short aluminiun rod in place. If I pull hard on the rod it does not come out. The little push on clip appears to be mounted only on the outside of the hole... how does it affect whether the rod can come out.

The long 1+1 rod that comes with the gun has a expanded nub on the end... does the short factory on have a nub on the end. Do you have to get the black plastic thing out first.

You can see that I am frustrated. I don't want to force it and break something.

Thanks

Brian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:57 am 
Limited Edition

The clip must be removed to remove the limiter as the limiter can only be pulled out from the threaded end of the "limiter housing" or whatever it's called.

Sheesh, what an awkward sentence! I sincerely hope that none of my old English teachers (and they'd by mighty old by now) reads it.

Anyways, the nub you spoke of on the shorter limiter is also on the 2+1 you're trying to get out. This "feature" has prompted some 391 owners on this forum to dispense with the clip, as the forend cap will keep the limiter in place. However, I don't know what impact, if any, such an arrangement will have on migratory game bird laws governing magazine limits.

I hope this relieves your frustration, and do have the happiest of holidays.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:16 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the detailed explaination.

On faith... I will shimmy the clip up the rod and see what's there. Hope I don't break the clip. I still can't figure out entirely what Beretta did here to hold this rod in.

Shotguns, and guns in general, have some of the most unusual methods of holding things together. Things you don't see anywhere else in the mechanical world. I am considered very mechanicly inclined... and I'm still baffled once in while when trying to be a DIY gunsmith.

Thanks again

Brian