CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: slip-on recoil pads
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:54 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm considering a slip on recoil pad for one of my shotguns. I'm looking at Pachmyr and Limbsaver.
Who has what and how do you like it ?
As always...Thanks for your help. Art 8)

Post subject: Re: slip-on recoil pads
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:20 am 
Limited Edition

I can't comment on either brand but will offer my personel experience with slip on recoil pads. First if your gun came with a but plate. The thickness of your recoil pad will add to the length of your stock changing the lop (Lenth Of Pull). Due to this added length the pad may catch on your clothing as the Gun is mounted to your shoulder. I have only tried this type recoil pad once but the area covering the wood of the stock is now darker than the area not covered. A noticable color change!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've had the same discoloration type problems with the rubber slip ons. Brownell's has a leather slip on that you tie. I've got one but it never seems to fit snuggly. I've borrowed a leather pad which uses velcro to adjust fit to the gun, from a friend. It works great and does no damage to the stock finish. The one I've used was made by Action, I believe, but I've seen others in ads and on the net. I don't remember exactly where, but a good start may be Galazan's. Going rate seems to be around $60.
These leather slip-ons tend to increase LOP by about 3/4". Not an issue to me, as the gun I've used one on is a pre-WWII French gun ,weighing under 6lbs. and a 13 1/2" LOP, so I needed the extra length and cushion. Could be a factor otherwise.
Luck,
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:55 am 
Field Grade

I was looking at the kick killer from Cabelas. I looks nice, but I was wondering, do you put these on over the existing recoil pad? Forgive my newbness. I have my first shotgun and after a round of trap my shoulder was a little sore. Just a whmp I guess. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Never, ever store your gun with the lip-on pad on it. It will really wreck the stock... especially if there's condensation in it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:00 pm 
Field Grade

I'll second that stated above. Slip-on recoil pads, especially the rubber ones, will discolor your stock fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use a leather one that I got at Cabela’s on a M12 that didn’t have a pad to begin with. It helped me because the LOP was a little on the short side for me.

I always take it off when I come in from the field especially if I’ve been hunting in damp weather. Otherwise I’m sure you could have some problems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have all three of the slip on Limbsaver pads, the small, medium and large. They work very well and which size will depend upon the size of your stock. The instructions say to remove any recoil pad on your stock and slip the pad over the bare stock.

However I use them when with existing fitted pads when I want to lengthen the stock such as shooting while wearing just a T-shirt. They will add an inch to the length and really take the recoil away.

I haven't had any problems with maring or discolorization of the finish when leaving on a number of wood stocks. I guess it is the composition of the limbsaver rubber that makes the difference.

They are not inexpensive but worth the price. They go on and off easier than old fashion rubber pads and have been remaining very flexable.

One of the things you can do is take a youth model shotgun with short stock and barrel and easily bring it up to standard pull length just by adding the slip on pad over the fitted one. If you remove the fitted pad you have the youth shortened length and as the child grows, just add a plastic spacer inside the slip on pad to achieve the length of pull for the situation.

I also have some of the limbsaver fitted and prefit pads on some heavy centerfire rifles and they are much better than the factory pads. The Pachymer Decelerator is also a very good pad. Haven't used one in slip on, only in fitted on centerfire rifles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have the Pac slip-on for a rem 870 Express 20ga. No worry about the wood. Works great.

I also have the same brand on a Rem 1100 LT-20 synthetic. Be careful slipping them on. They will rip at the mould seam.

I would not put one on a nicely stocked rifle or shotgun.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"
NSSA #165694
Bud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use this one on http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4269.html my BSS. I do take it off between uses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Arlington TX, home of the world famous Dallas Cowboys
I use the leather ones made by Galco (purchased from Cabela's) to increase LOP on my BSS, Ithaca M37, and Daly Miroku. They work better for me than the el cheapo rubber ones you can buy at WallyWorld and look WAY mo' better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:44 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the input everyone.